Price Protection Question

Lem_On_Ade

We submitted the price protection form earlier today because the price of the room (exact same category) had dropped $130 total. We received a booking confirmation almost immediately after showing the new balance due only $20 cheaper. It also says deposit of $150 now due 1/27/19. I knew we would have to pay the remaining balance due (we only paid $100 total at booking so we assumed $400, not $150) but none of this is making sense. I know Carnival needs to be called, just wondering if anyone has experienced a difference in price that what was anticipated?

when you book a cruise with a reduce deposit and you price match to a fare rate requires a full deposit, you will need to make a full deposit instead of the reduced deposit. 

the price difference might be due to the port taxes and fees going up. I noticed that on my cruise sometimes. the fare went down, but the port tax increases negated any saving

Thank you for your response. I just checked and the port fees and taxes are exactly the same as they were when we booked. I assumed we'd have to pay the remaining $400 deposit too but they are only requesting $150 due by 1/27/19 which is way past what today is. Hopefully my PVP can give some insight.

Since you have a PVP, I recommend submitting any future Price Protection claims through him/her. I submitted one on my own about a month ago and was denied. Carnival said it was because we didn't book an Early Saver rate, which we did. So I contacted our PVP and within 45 minutes, we got the new confirmation with the lowered price.

• Like 1

I had the same issue.  I submitted for a price drop of $90 total, and was given $40.  I contacted my PVP and he corrected it all for me without any issues.  Now, I just send him a quick email and he takes care of it for me.

I always call and take care of it over the phone. I don't have a pvp so whoever answers deals with it. I tell them the exact price I found and they verify and match it instantly and then i pay them whatever additional deposit is due and they email me a reciept.

1 hour ago, JaxsMama said:

I always call and take care of it over the phone. I don't have a pvp so whoever answers deals with it. I tell them the exact price I found and they verify and match it instantly and then i pay them whatever additional deposit is due and they email me a reciept.

i am the same way too. One time i called in for a price drop, at first the rep did not find the fare code i was seeing with the lower price then later they were able to find it. 

I booked my cruise for 4 in October a little over a week ago and since then the price has gone up $80 total in my cabin choice. I guess I should feel good I booked at a good time instead of waited to hope for a price drop. Maybe I will be lucky and the price will go down as it gets closer to sailing so I can cash in on the difference. 

1 hour ago, 1st4our25th said:

Are these price drops y'all are finding on the Carnival website or on another site? 

I think most people just use Carnival's site. According to their FAQ's, it has to be a "Carnival advertised fare," so their site is the best place to look. Just do a mock booking for the same cabin category that you've booked and check the current base price of that cabin. You can only price match if you booked an Early Saver rate and if that category is still available to be booked. Be aware that some categories can be found on more than one deck, so if it's sold out on your deck, it might be available on another. If you don't know what category your cabin is, just look at the deck plans on Carnival's site.

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

I think most people just use Carnival's site. According to their FAQ's, it has to be a "Carnival advertised fare," so their site is the best place to look. Just do a mock booking for the same cabin category that you've booked and check the current base price of that cabin. You can only price match if you booked an Early Saver rate and if that category is still available to be booked. Be aware that some categories can be found on more than one deck, so if it's sold out on your deck, it might be available on another. If you don't know what category your cabin is, just look at the deck plans on Carnival's site.

Thank you. I was just wondering because I do get emails from another site about price drops in my category (I did book ES), but those prices are never the same on Carnival's website. 

2 hours ago, 1st4our25th said:

Are these price drops y'all are finding on the Carnival website or on another site? 

Since Carnival doesn't allow TA's to discount their fares, it honestly shouldn't matter.  Having said that, they will not match to anyplace that requires a membership (think your local big box store) or group fares (sometimes TA's will book a group to be able to sell at a discounted price).

47 minutes ago, 1st4our25th said:

Thank you. I was just wondering because I do get emails from another site about price drops in my category (I did book ES), but those prices are never the same on Carnival's website. 

It doesn't hurt to try. The worst they can do is deny the match. But like we've been saying, it's probably best to go through your PVP (if you have one) or their 800 number. Using the claim form seems to be pretty hit and miss and there's times when you're denied after using the form, but granted the match after calling.

On 5/1/2019 at 9:32 AM, JaxsMama said:

Me too, I never submitted a request.  Immediate adjustment when you call Carnival directly.   And any rep that answers the phone has been able to help with the price adjustment and they email you the confirmation while you are still on the phone.  Never had any issues.  Check rates daily.