Currency in Norway

Bav

On 5/8/2019 at 5:58 AM, hallasm said:

When you compare prices in Denmark and Norway versus US remember that gratitude/ service as well as VAT always is included in prices - no need for tipping at restaurants. I have many examples were a light lunch and beer was more than $60 is US once VAT and tips were added.

Not places I eat. 😄

BTW, no VAT in the US.  There may be sales tax, but in my area that is only 6%.

Edited by SRF

On 5/8/2019 at 8:06 AM, Velvetwater said:

As you know, VAT is included in most spots around Europe and many worldwide but if I am in say...Germany (Also known as Europe's best tippers) a small beer and a  lunch doesn't cost me £30-40. It is more something around the £15 mark for 1. Even a £2-3 tip doesn't hike it up that much.

I love Northern Europe dearly but they are pricier in things than more southern parts. Saying that though...the UK can be pricy and that is getting worse due to various situations right now.

US we found could be pricey for drinks but food less so. It averaged out around £20 with tip for a similar lunch.

In most of UK and Europe, I find the prices to be a similar number amount, but in Pounds or Euro.

So a $20 meal in the US is 20 Euro or 20 Pounds.  And it doesn't seem to matter what the exchange rate is.

3 hours ago, SRF said:

Not places I eat. 😄

BTW, no VAT in the US.  There may be sales tax, but in my area that is only 6%.

True.  But in our country (USA) the combination of sales taxes (in most places) and our ridiculous tipping culture actually adds-up to more than VAT.  When traveling in Australia it took some adjustment to not leave a tip in many restaurants, but must admit that its a practice that tends to grow on a person :).

Hank

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 2:58 AM, hallasm said:

When you compare prices in Denmark and Norway versus US remember that gratitude/ service as well as VAT always is included in prices - no need for tipping at restaurants. I have many examples were a light lunch and beer was more than $60 is US once VAT and tips were added.

Most people would say $60 for a light lunch & brew is pretty high here in the US.  There are certainly some posh places that charge that kind of fare along with some tourist traps, but that is pretty high.   

Then again, I was just recently back in Copenhagen and didn't spent anything near $60 equivalent for a lunch either.   

I guess I don't eat at the ritzy places.  😀😀

9 hours ago, SRF said:

In most of UK and Europe, I find the prices to be a similar number amount, but in Pounds or Euro.

So a $20 meal in the US is 20 Euro or 20 Pounds.  And it doesn't seem to matter what the exchange rate is.

It really doesn't make sense, but we were in Paris a week ago and were making the same comment about the menu item prices.  What we would expect at $18 here was 18 Euro there.   Same number, different currencies.  Ignores different handling of tip/tax of course.     

I will shortly be on a cruise that includes Norway and Denmark and am grateful to the info here that I can use debit cards for almost everything. I am also aware of the differences in tipping cultures on the different sides of the Atlantic.

However, my question is - when I am on a ship's excursion I would normally tip the guide and driver in cash at the end, is that still the norm in Norway? Or is it considered that the fee for the excursion covers it?

I have no problem getting krone from an ATM but since the cruise doesn't start in Norway, it might be tricky to find an ATM before boarding the tour bus at the first port of call.

On 5/9/2019 at 6:33 PM, SRF said:

Continental Europe has a very different price point to places such as Scandinavia and Iceland.

On 5/12/2019 at 4:26 PM, Velvetwater said:

Continental Europe has a very different price point to places such as Scandinavia and Iceland.

True.  Those places are special. 😄 

On 5/10/2019 at 12:33 AM, jollyjones said:

I will shortly be on a cruise that includes Norway and Denmark and am grateful to the info here that I can use debit cards for almost everything. I am also aware of the differences in tipping cultures on the different sides of the Atlantic.

However, my question is - when I am on a ship's excursion I would normally tip the guide and driver in cash at the end, is that still the norm in Norway? Or is it considered that the fee for the excursion covers it?

I have no problem getting krone from an ATM but since the cruise doesn't start in Norway, it might be tricky to find an ATM before boarding the tour bus at the first port of call.

Dollars or Euros always seem to be gladly accepted.   

On 5/10/2019 at 9:33 AM, jollyjones said:

If I took a tour in Sweden (I live here), I wouldn't tip the guide or driver.

So if I get this correctly, the tour guide wouldn't particularly be expecting a cash tip but is unlikely to  refuse one, in any major currency. So that makes my personal choice of what to do much easier - no stress, love it!

Thanks all for the info.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1