Alaska 2020 and nonref deposit; do I understand?

For Alaska 2020, looking at Serenade, balcony cabin for 4 people.  I want to make sure I understand the nonrefundable deposit.  I book the cabin and pay the deposit for 4 people, with the balance of the cruise fare due three months prior to sailing date.  If the 4th person can't go, and we know that he can't go BEFORE we are paid in full (i.e. before the deadline to pay in full), then what?   We lose his deposit -- OR Royal would issue an FCC only to him minus $100 fee -- and then we would also only pay the fare for the 3 remaining people??  

Our previous two RCCL cruises didn't involve the nonrefundable deposit, so I want to make sure I understand.  

I believe Royal handles the non-refundable deposit for the 3rd or 4th person differently.  If they cancel, the amount of their deposit is credited to the remaining guests.  If they paid more than the deposit, and are cancelling before final payment date, that would be refunded to the original form of payment.

4 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I believe Royal handles the non-refundable deposit for the 3rd or 4th person differently.  If they cancel, the amount of their deposit is credited to the remaining guests.  If they paid more than the deposit, and are cancelling before final payment date, that would be refunded to the original form of payment.

You are correct 

24 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

just to be sure in this day and age, I would give RCI a call and talk to a supervisor for peace of mind

good luck

Could, but responses from "Host Clarea" and "Ourusualbeach" are close to Experts as this site has, and are correct

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

just to be sure in this day and age, I would give RCI a call and talk to a supervisor for peace of mind

good luck

If I got a dollar every time a phone agent at Royal provided wrong information...  I trust the collective experience of this forum when taken with many grains of salt.

And good luck reaching a supervisor.  That's hard to do when you have a serious issue never mind a simple question.

• Like 1

sorry but the cruise line should be able to answer the questions.  Call a couple of times.

It is their policy and their rules. They can make a record on file that the customer called as well.

Yes CC has lots of advice, but when dealing with legal issues, leave it to the cruise line to provide answers and perhaps ask for an email as backup.

On 5/6/2019 at 1:38 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

sorry but the cruise line should be able to answer the questions.  Call a couple of times.

It is their policy and their rules. They can make a record on file that the customer called as well.

Yes CC has lots of advice, but when dealing with legal issues, leave it to the cruise line to provide answers and perhaps ask for an email as backup.

"Should" is the operative word here, Oceansaway17. 

And when using this forum, if you know who the reliably accurate posters are, you are more likely to get the help you need.