AARP RCCL certificates

On 5/18/2019 at 6:55 PM, cruisegus said:

they work just as described above,  I just applied them to a $4000 cruise and saved $400.  The only caveat is be aware that if you have to cancel a cruise once applied there are no refunds

That’s a big caveat to me right now since our cruise is so far out. I would definitely consider doing this closer to final payment. I think I’d want a better understanding of this no refunds policy. 

Is there a deadline to apply a certificate to a cruise once you’ve purchased it? 

How about out if there is a price drop on your cruise once you have made a payment on it?

8 hours ago, sabhoy said:

Yes you do. Then you go on Rewards for Good and earn points for doing little test questions about lots of topics.  Once you rack up the points, you can spend them.  Not just for RCCL and Carnival certificates, but discounts on goods and services.  They also have sweepstakes.  I have won a gift card for the movie theater.

I was able to sign up on the AARP website and earn points without an actual AARP membership. AARP members do earn 2X the points for the quizzes, though.  I don’t know if I could have redeemed for a certificate because I couldn’t get the redemptions page to open, and I didn’t plan to try to redeem this far out from our cruise anyway.

8 hours ago, perfect match said:

That’s a big caveat to me right now since our cruise is so far out. I would definitely consider doing this closer to final payment. I think I’d want a better understanding of this no refunds policy. 

Is there a deadline to apply a certificate to a cruise once you’ve purchased it? 

How about out if there is a price drop on your cruise once you have made a payment on it?

see if this picture from the back with Terms and Conditions helps - tried to get it turned the right way just couldn't

20190520_064235.thumb.jpg.d14c4089109506c2389c9283c6b0f739.jpg

for me I apply them 30 days before final payment is due that is enough time for processing on their end.

Not sure about what would happen for a price drop, but in my 20 something cruises I have yet to see the price go down, just up

Edited by cruisegus
add

Thanks, CruiseGus. 

You said you you applied your certificates just before final payment, which is exactly what I would want to do given their “not refundable” policy. Did you purchase your certificates in advance and hold them until you were ready to make your payment? Or earn points but wait until it was time to redeem to purchase your certificates? The certificate you posted did say “new” reservations, but it sounds like you did not have a problem by waiting.

I’ve been pretty lucky with price drops. Some of them have been better than others, but I’ve gotten something on every RCCL cruise we have taken so far. This AARP deal seems like getting a price drop without having to stalk the website all the time to find them. I guess that’s a game I like to play - the thrill of the price drop hunt!

I’m wondering where the money I paid out of pocket would go if, for some unexpected reason, I had to cancel. I can see not getting the extra 10% back, but not money I paid up front for the certificate. There must be something I’m just not understanding here.....

I really don’t expect to be cancelling our cruise. DH broke his collarbone 2 weeks before our first Oasis cruise and had surgery to repair it 9 days before we sailed. We still cruised, and still enjoyed Oasis even though he was somewhat limited as to what he could do. 😀

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So my update:

I bought the first RCCL certificate,  one for $100 that cost $90.  Right away got a confirmation email that the funds were in process.  Then got an email from the RCCL certificate rep.  Within 2 days, the funds were applied and received a PDF of my bill. 

I repeated this process with 4 more $100  for $90 for each certificate.  If you choose these, send them all in the same email.

After these were applied, I sent my final 2 certificates (in the same email) for $500 each. (cost $400 each) 

When all was said and done Savings = $250! 

Called RCCL and paid my balance of $54.16.

Done and Done.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:04 AM, perfect match said:

I was able to sign up on the AARP website and earn points without an actual AARP membership. AARP members do earn 2X the points for the quizzes, though.  I don’t know if I could have redeemed for a certificate because I couldn’t get the redemptions page to open, and I didn’t plan to try to redeem this far out from our cruise anyway.

are you old enough to be a member?  You have to have the membership

1 hour ago, sabhoy said:

are you old enough to be a member?  You have to have the membership

You do not have to have a paid membership.  You do have to register on the aarp website, but you can do that at any age.  Paid members (age restricted) earn points at a higher rate, but anyone can sign up, take the quizzes and earn/redeem points.  

10 hours ago, sabhoy said:

So my update:

I bought the first RCCL certificate,  one for $100 that cost $90.  Right away got a confirmation email that the funds were in process.  Then got an email from the RCCL certificate rep.  Within 2 days, the funds were applied and received a PDF of my bill. 

I repeated this process with 4 more $100  for $90 for each certificate.  If you choose these, send them all in the same email.

After these were applied, I sent my final 2 certificates (in the same email) for $500 each. (cost $400 each) 

When all was said and done Savings = $250! 

Called RCCL and paid my balance of $54.16.

Done and Done.

Quick $250 savings,  worked as advertised.  if nothing else it covers the cost of your cruise insurance