Half Moon Cay vs. Coco Cay

CoolOne56

8 hours ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Be certain to do your research in regards to Royal Caribbean & Coco Cay. Royal Caribbean ships quite often miss Coco Cay, resulting in a port change. A common complaint on the Royal Caribbean message boards.

You mean, if they miss the port, they don't get their port charges back?  If so, that sucks.

21 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

The thing I really don't like is how their slogan encourages the widespread mispronunciation of the name of the island - "Perfect Day at Coco Cay" makes one want to turn it into a rhyme.  But cay doesn't rhyme with day.  Cay rhymes with sea.  I realize that's just a pet peeve of mine that few people are likely to share.

I am kinda like you Shaky.  The first time i went to Coco Cay they pronounced it as Kay over the loud speaker and that threw me off as I thought i was wrong.  But in reality it is pronounced as Key no different that the Florida Keys.   A Cay is actually not a normal island as it is sediment built up on a coral reef.  It does make it hard to build on as they dont make a good foundation.  And yeah you probably knew that but I love stating the obvious lol.  But it is fun when you are talking about half moon and say key rather than kay and watch the strange looks you get.  But dont let it bug you as they say "A rose by any other name  would smell as sweet".

• Thanks 1

We were on Coco Cay last month and they were still working on many of the attractions. The only thing they've done that interests me is adding the pier, it's very nice not to tender (well, we might do the balloon ride once if the price is right). We haven't done HMC but have done Princess Cay.

I've always known it to be pronounced "key" as well, but Google says its proper to pronounce it both ways:

cay
/,/
noun
noun: cay; plural noun: cays
  1. a low bank or reef of coral, rock, or sand.

26 minutes ago, Aquahound said:
I've always known it to be pronounced "key" as well, but Google says its proper to pronounce it both ways:

cay
/,/
noun
noun: cay; plural noun: cays
  1. a low bank or reef of coral, rock, or sand.

Bleh.🙄  What does Google know?😛   I've never heard a single Bahamian pronounce it "kay".  And I know a lot of Bahamians.  And I've been to a lot of Cays. 

23 hours ago, CoolOne56 said:

My bad, I thought HMC belong to Carnival.

Technically, Holland America is owned by Carnival Corporation, so. . . everyone's kinda right.   😁

I went to HMC while on Carnival Miracle.   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Theosprey247 said:

No thank you. I would prefer they left HMC as is. 

People ... especially HAL folks ... had a fit when the "Pirate Ship Bar" was built at HMC. Now it seems to be a non-factor and seldom any longer mentioned.  

Maybe something like what has been done to CoCo Cay would be a good addition to HMC  since Carnival Cruise Line ships with a younger crowd also use HMC?   :classic_unsure:

16 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

We were on Coco Cay last month and they were still working on many of the attractions. The only thing they've done that interests me is adding the pier, it's very nice not to tender (well, we might do the balloon ride once if the price is right). We haven't done HMC but have done Princess Cay.

As much as I love Princess, I think HMC is much better than Princess Cays.

21 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

Bleh.🙄  What does Google know?😛   I've never heard a single Bahamian pronounce it "kay".  And I know a lot of Bahamians.  And I've been to a lot of Cays. 

I've heard both pronunciations used and I use what the ship's crew uses since it's their island.😀

7 hours ago, OCruisers said:

People ... especially HAL folks ... had a fit when the "Pirate Ship Bar" was built at HMC. Now it seems to be a non-factor and seldom any longer mentioned.  

Maybe something like what has been done to CoCo Cay would be a good addition to HMC  since Carnival Cruise Line ships with a younger crowd also use HMC?   :classic_unsure:

Once something is done there is no reason to keep complaining about it. I'm sure that the folks that opposed the idea still don't like it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

As much as I love Princess, I think HMC is much better than Princess Cays.

Princess also comes under the Carnival Corp umbrella, doesn't it? In any event I hope one day to be able to make the comparison myself. I see the private island as a beach get away in the middle of a cruise, so as long as it has a bar, food service and some loungers I'm all set. 

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I've heard both pronunciations used and I use what the ship's crew uses since it's their island.😀

I say it the way the Bahamians say it since it's their country, and their island. :classic_wink:

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Princess also comes under the Carnival Corp umbrella, doesn't it? In any event I hope one day to be able to make the comparison myself. I see the private island as a beach get away in the middle of a cruise, so as long as it has a bar, food service and some loungers I'm all set. 

It does and I hope you get a chance soon to make that comparison. Half Moon Cay is really special. Personally, the beach doesn't phase me anymore... I live 5 minutes away from one and barely go nowadays. Living where people vacation, it's unfortunate that I no longer take advantage of that fact.

49 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

I say it the way the Bahamians say it since it's their country, and their island. :classic_wink:

Well...the "kay" pronunciation comes from the Spanish language, and it was a Spaniard who discovered and mapped the Bahamas.  Still...personal choice.  People can say it however they like.  Both are correct.  Just like the Caribbean...."care-a-be-an" vs ca-rib-e-an."  Same thing.  :classic_tongue:

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Once something is done there is no reason to keep complaining about it. I'm sure that the folks that opposed the idea still don't like it.

Yet both times I was on HMC, both of which were on HAL ships, it was hard to find a seat in the bar.

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, OCruisers said:

There's a big difference between the singular pirate ship bar and a multitude of additions that overrun the island and appeal to only 50% of the clientele at best,

On 5/10/2019 at 9:55 PM, OCruisers said:

I was there last Tuesday and barely noticed it. Wasn't until I heard someone laying next to us on the beach mention it and saw it when I walked back to the tender. 

On 5/9/2019 at 9:53 PM, CoolOne56 said:

Definitely a cash cow! I only suggested HMC or GT because I thought these were Carnival's private islands.

It would be nice if they did something like this at the new Grand Port in Freeport, Carnival is building/revamping. 

Good point.  Freeport is tough.  Been there twice and it needs a hug!