Transfer: Southampton—London (incl. LHR/LGW) train, car, other?

jedco

3 hours ago, FlyingAnchor said:

Does anyone know if the prices available online today (we are still 6 months away from our cruise) will go up between now and then? Currently quoting business class fare on the train for 64 pounds. If I wait to book until closer, do these prices typically increase on Heathrow Express trains?

A couple of things here. 
- no need to bother with Business First on the HEX. Standard (‘Express’) class is comfortable and spacious, and it’s only a 15 minute journey.  
- although this may look as if it only saves you £7 pp (the full fare is £25 as opposed to £32 in Business First), there are cheap tickets if booked in advance (they are called Fixed Day). At six months out I would expect you to get the cheapest possible fare, £5-50, which is a real bargain. The inconveniences others will point out still exist, of course, but it changes the math! 
- but to answer your question, £32 pp in Business First if you book it now or buy a minute before you travel (ignoring possibility of a general fare rise, which is likely in the next six months I would think) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, paddy Anne said:

I am looking to book the bus/coach from Heathrow to Southampton.  I am going to buy the flexible fare in case my flight is delayed but you need to pick one time to start.  Roughly how long from when plane lands to get to coach?

It's quite variable, but around 75 to 90 minutes from aircraft door to arrivals hall, but allow 2 hours.

If arriving at Terminals 2 or 3 also allow 10 to 15 minutes to walk to Heathrow Central Bus Station. 

If arriving at T4 or T5 the bus stop is on the concourse.

Yes, flexible is the way to go  - eastbound trans-Atlantics rarely arrive late because they have a tail-wind but can't be sure to make up for a significantly-late departure.

Are you flying in on your sailing day?

If so, for most cruise registrations you'd want to depart LHR by around  12.45

JB 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, hoax77 said:

What's the best way to get from Heathrow to Piccadilly Circus or Leicester Square? Thanks in advance!

We used Meadway car service. Went from Heathrow to Grosvenor Square.  Reasonable and always responded promptly to emails. 

On 11/13/2022 at 9:48 PM, John Bull said:

Disembarkation is normally finished by 9.30, mebbe 10.00

International Friends is a long-established, respected and reliable coach (bus) tour operator.

For some years they've been offering a choice of three coach tour-transfers specifically for passengers on most cruises ending in Southampton. They're recommended by Cruise Critic members who've used them.

All three stop off at Heathrow around 5.30pm (ideally you'd want to be at Heathrow by 6 - 6.30) before continuing into central London for those spending post-cruise time in London.

Your luggage is loaded at the cruise terminal & unloaded at the airport. 

They're the first three tour-transfers on the Southampton page of

https://www.internationalfriends.co.uk/shore-excursions-and-cruise-transfers.html

Most-popular is Salisbury/Stonehenge/Windsor. Do buy your Stonehenge tickets with your tour tickets. To avoid over-crowding, numbers at Stonehenge are limited so don't rely on buying at the gate and those who buy in advance from the Stonehenge website have to select an arrival time in a half-hour window - ticket issued by coach operators (and the Salisbury/Stonehenge ho-ho buses) are for admission anytime. You might also want to buy tickets for Windsor Castle with your tour tickets to avoid a line, or you might just want to explore the town.

(On the same page they also offer private car tours & transfers, but a Southampton-based operator is probably better value for a simple airport transfer)

JB 🙂

This is wonderful info!

I just reached out to International Friends to see if I could arrange a private transfer from Southampton to Heathrow with a stop at Stonehenge.  Do you know of any other companies that offer this kind of service?  I found two others online - one of which had terrible reviews - I would just love to have another option or two if International Friends can't accommodate.

• Like 1

John Bull and Globaliser, you are both such a wealth of information, and so generous to share your expertise.  Thank you!

I’m starting to look into our pre-cruise arrangements, and I feel like I’ve read so much, that I’m just confusing myself now.  We’re doing a British Isles cruise the end of September, then doing the TA back to Florida.  We’re flying into Heathrow from Switzerland on Wed. Sept. 27th, arriving 11:25am.  We’ll have that afternoon and evening, then the entire next day for sightseeing, before needing to be in Southampton to board the Regal Princess on Fri. the 29th.

I’m looking at the things we’d like to do/see in London, and I think this is what I’m leaning towards.  In no particular order, the London Eye with the accompanying Thames River tour, the Tower Bridge, Westminster Abbey, Covent Garden, maybe a HOHO bus tour, and Borough Market.  It looks like those are all in the same general vicinity.  Of course, I have lots more time to find things to do, but there’s only so much one can squeeze into a day and a half!

The help I need from you is to help me decide what part of town to stay in the 2 nights.  Do we get a hotel by the airport and leave our bags, head to London proper for sightseeing the first afternoon, back to the hotel, back to London proper the next day, back to the hotel, then to Southampton Friday morning?  Or do we go directly to London proper for a hotel for the 2 nights, then Southampton Friday morning?  

If you suggest staying in London proper, what neighborhood should I consider that will be most convenient for arriving from Heathrow, and departing to Southampton?  Though I don’t like to spend money needlessly, I am more inclined to spend a little more in order to not have to drag our bags on and off too many different modes of transportation, or walk too far with them.

After I get this all sorted, I guess the next step would be to determine the transportation.  The train, shared coach transfer, etc.  I have plenty of time for that, though.  I mainly want to get a hotel booked so I can hopefully get a decent rate, booking so early.

Thanks again!

We will be traveling from Southampton to St. Ermin's on July 12th for a 2 night stay before flying out of Heathrow.  I've read through the thread some but wanted to confirm what I am looking for in terms of train stations.  It looks like I should be searching Southampton Central (SOU) to Waterloo East (WAE), is that correct?

What is the best company for car service to Heathrow?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. What a wealth of knowledge in this post! I am arriving for my first TA to Southampton and headed to London for 6 days. Although the train is quicker, I am reading that the coach is just the way to go. My hotel is in the St Pancras area, so my understanding is to book the Nat Express to end in Victoria coach and WALK to Victoria station and take the tube up to Kings Cross/St Pancras? How long is this journey? Where do I buy a tube ticket? Is there somewhere to buy metro passes for the week? I know about Osyster cards but do I buy that when we get to the tube station?? Also, I need to get from hotel in Pimlico to Heathrow on a Thursday afternoon. Easiest way?? Thanks!!!

-signed one anxious Canadian 

15 minutes ago, ksmommy5 said:

Wow. What a wealth of knowledge in this post! I am arriving for my first TA to Southampton and headed to London for 6 days. Although the train is quicker, I am reading that the coach is just the way to go. My hotel is in the St Pancras area, so my understanding is to book the Nat Express to end in Victoria coach and WALK to Victoria station and take the tube up to Kings Cross/St Pancras? How long is this journey? Where do I buy a tube ticket? Is there somewhere to buy metro passes for the week? I know about Osyster cards but do I buy that when we get to the tube station?? Also, I need to get from hotel in Pimlico to Heathrow on a Thursday afternoon. Easiest way?? Thanks!!!

Don't need to buy oyster card.  We used our tap and pin credit cards in October.  Just use the same one for all your trips to get any discounts.  We used Meadway car service from Heathrow to London. Haven’t used coach from Southampton so can't help there.  Btw when taking tube remember you are dragging luggage into a train station, up and down stairs, onto a train that is only stopping and leaving for commuters. When walking remember it could be raining.  Take a taxi.

18 hours ago, ksmommy5 said:

I am arriving for my first TA to Southampton and headed to London for 6 days. Although the train is quicker, I am reading that the coach is just the way to go. My hotel is in the St Pancras area, so my understanding is to book the Nat Express to end in Victoria coach and WALK to Victoria station and take the tube up to Kings Cross/St Pancras? How long is this journey?

It's half a mile from to Victoria coach station to Victoria Tube. Frankly, I wouldn't walk this with luggage. Neither do I understand why the coach is "just the way to go". Of all the public transport options, it would usually be near the bottom of my list of options except in specific circumstances.

If you do take the coach, you'd probably be best to get a taxi to St Pancras.

Alternatively, take the train from Southampton to Waterloo and take a taxi from Waterloo to St Pancras.

18 hours ago, ksmommy5 said:

Also, I need to get from hotel in Pimlico to Heathrow on a Thursday afternoon. Easiest way??

Easiest: taxi (or pre-booked car/"minicab" service).

Are you moving hotels in the middle of your London stay?

23 hours ago, ksmommy5 said:

Coach has its advantages for those heading for a hotel in Victoria (or Pimlico).

And some worry about getting luggage onto a train & looking after it on the train & getting it off the train, whereas the coach driver loads & unloads luggage in the belly locker.

The coach is also a little cheaper, but about an hour slower and the nearest tube is Victoria train station whereas there's a tube at Waterloo train station.

St Pancras from both Victoria and Waterloo involve a change of tube train at Euston, though your hotel might be walkable from Euston. By taxi, Waterloo is 3 miles, from St P., Victoria coach station 4 miles. Train wins that one - buy cheap advance tickets from about 10 to 12 weeks out.

JB 🙂

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

Coach has its advantages for those heading for a hotel in Victoria (or Pimlico).

And some worry about getting luggage onto a train & looking after it on the train & getting it off the train, whereas the coach driver loads & unloads luggage in the belly locker.

The coach is also a little cheaper, but about an hour slower and the nearest tube is Victoria train station whereas there's a tube at Waterloo train station.

St Pancras from both Victoria and Waterloo involve a change of tube train at Euston, though your hotel might be walkable from Euston. By taxi, Waterloo is 3 miles, from St P., Victoria coach station 4 miles. Train wins that one - buy cheap advance tickets from about 10 to 12 weeks out.

JB 🙂

We are just carrying two small roller bags (carry on size) and backpacks. We are young (30s and hes 12) so I think the train would be ok then. Id rather get there early than sit on a smelly bus for 3 hrs lol

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

JB 🙂

but my hotel on my last leg is in Pimlico, should I book the coach to Heathrow or take the train?? Also, my hotel is at Kings Cross/St Pacras. Youre saying I cant take the Victoria train to Kings Cross?

Edited by ksmommy5

7 hours ago, Globaliser said:

It's half a mile from to Victoria coach station to Victoria Tube. Frankly, I wouldn't walk this with luggage. Neither do I understand why the coach is "just the way to go". Of all the public transport options, it would usually be near the bottom of my list of options except in specific circumstances.

If you do take the coach, you'd probably be best to get a taxi to St Pancras.

Alternatively, take the train from Southampton to Waterloo and take a taxi from Waterloo to St Pancras.

Easiest: taxi (or pre-booked car/"minicab" service).

Are you moving hotels in the middle of your London stay?

What is the benefit to taking transport to Waterloo vs Victoria? 

1 hour ago, ksmommy5 said:

but my hotel on my last leg is in Pimlico, should I book the coach to Heathrow or take the train?? Also, my hotel is at Kings Cross/St Pacras. Youre saying I cant take the Victoria train to Kings Cross?

Coach from Victoria to LHR is slowest at about 50 mins (plus walk or taxi from Pimlico) but cheapest at £5 pp 

Private transfer about 30 minutes, off the top of my head £45 to £50

Tube is another option, about 30 mins with one easy change of tube train

Direct tube trains from Victoria train station (something under 1/2 mile from coach station), and from Waterloo to Euston station.

Euston station is half a mile from Kings X / St Pancras station

- if your hotel is between the two it's probably easiest to walk.

- if your hotel is beyond Kings X / St Pancras it's probably easiest to take a taxi

- if your hotel is close to Kings X / St Pancras station you could walk, or take a taxi,. Or switch to another tube train for that half-mile, though that hardly seems worth it unless its raining

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

Oops! 

Yes, the Piccadilly line runs direct to King’s Cross from there. Or, from a different station just across the street, so do the Circle and Hammersmith & City lines which have nicer (and air-conditioned) trains.

Or you could be naughty and just stay on the coach and hope the driver doesn’t notice (or play the confused tourist card) ……