Disembarkation in Boston

planterx2

I have been asked to pick up friends as they disembark from the Gem in Boston. Can anyone tell me what this is like or give me any helpful tips?  I can only imagine the congestion.  They will not take public transportation to a more convenient location and ask that I pick them up right at the port.  Any help is greatly appreciated. 

7 minutes ago, planterx2 said:

....They will not take public transportation to a more convenient location and ask that I pick them up right at the port.....

I would recommend getting better friends.   lol

Other than that....

http://www.massport.com/cruiseport/to-from-cruiseport/drop-off-pick-up/

• Like 2

If you haven't done this before - not familiar with how the spaghetti roads work - take a DRY-RUN

noting features/places that are central for a meeting point and the time it takes to get there.

Also if you misconnect is there an easy return try again route.

In most cases both at piers and airports - waiting is not permitted in the RED zone - Load/Unload and Get Out !

That DRY-RUN could be done while no ship is at the pier and again with one for real but you would be driving

thru to get a look at what you need to do.

In this cell phone GPS age use these devices to make this work !

Use the cell phone lot when your friends are off the ship have them call you and let you know what number sign they are under, be patient since the traffic will be heavy with both drop offs and pick ups going on

Tell them to wear something bright (or when they call you at the cell phone lot, describe the most vivid color somebody in the party is wearing).  It's controlled chaos -- cars stopping 2-3 deep, with staties moving along anybody who isn't actively loading a passenger.  

So if you drive by your friends on your first go-round you can't just pull over and wait for them -- you'll have to make the loop and that could take a while given all the other cars lined up.  

Further along the building there are numbered signs they can stand near to give you an idea of where they are, but wearing or holding something bright and knowing what they're wearing (and having them know exactly what your car is) is your best bet.  Stay on the phone with them if possible -- that way they can give you other clues, like "We're just past the blue minivan with the blinkers and the family in matching Hawaiian shirts."