Laundry question

sbaker

We'll be on the Epic next week out of Rome, our first time on NCL.  I know that NCL doesn't have self-serve laundry.  I've heard they offer a $19.99/bag laundry special  half way through the cruise.  What's your experience with their laundry service?  We're wondering if they use super hot dryers and end up shrinking things.  Do things come back in good condition?  We line dry most things and don't want our clothes to get ruined, but we'll be traveling for several weeks and don't want to pack enough clothes for the whole time.  Thanks for any info.

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Since we are platinum members, we get two free bags of laundry per cruise. We have never had any issues with NCL laundries. They take good care of clothes and get them back to you in one piece. 

ECHO that post.

NCL uses the same laundry methods you would if using your own equipment only on a much larger scale - cold water

wash - minimal detergent - no undue over heating drying of garments therefore no shrinkage ***

*** but beware laundering garments previously unwashed - manufacturers fine print.

Garments returned - folded and stacked neatly in a wicker basket - some items on hangers - superb inventory control -

rarely any losses due to the itchy scratchy ID tags attached to bite you at the neck and waist - LOL !

Laundry service available at any time but at an expense.

Need something absolutely positively urgently right-away - EXPRESS Service is available of course for a NCL FEE !

Bag deal offered on cruises about the half way point i.e. hump day 4 of a 7 day cruise getting clean clothes back

about 4pm a day later or so.

Cruises longer than 10 days may offer the deal twice - check with your cabin attendant; guest services or read the

daily newsprint.

As BirdTravels noted if Platinum you get the laundry free as a customer rewards perk - if Gold a 50% reduction

but the bag deal always beats that.

Suggest hand (in cabin sink) laundry for delicates and lingerie.

Dry Cleaning is also available.

One further comment if given the opportunity to take the BST (Behind the Scenes Tour) take it and enjoy an

enlightening visit to the ships laundry facility !

In my experience, the complimentary bag they give you is a small paper bag that tears easily if you try to put to much into it.  Last time we lucked out.  We asked the cabin steward about the free laundry deal and he brought us the wrong bag.  It was a nice big mesh bag.  We were excited thinking it was a great deal.  We didn't find out it was the wrong bag until after it was gone.  They honored it though and we didn't pay anything.  It was our first trip on Norwegian and I thought they were just nicer than the other cruise lines by offering nicer laundry service.  We found out later that we should've gotten the small paper bag.  oops. 🙂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, fsa1155 said:

In my experience, the complimentary bag they give you is a small paper bag that tears easily if you try to put to much into it.  Last time we lucked out.  We asked the cabin steward about the free laundry deal and he brought us the wrong bag.  It was a nice big mesh bag.  We were excited thinking it was a great deal.  We didn't find out it was the wrong bag until after it was gone.  They honored it though and we didn't pay anything.  It was our first trip on Norwegian and I thought they were just nicer than the other cruise lines by offering nicer laundry service.  We found out later that we should've gotten the small paper bag.  oops. 🙂

I don't know if there is change being made or what - but - last sailing the laundry bag was a nylon pillow case size bag

with a draw string closure - this on the DAWN - it also could also be something unique to a suite.

3 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

I don't know if there is change being made or what - but - last sailing the laundry bag was a nylon pillow case size bag

with a draw string closure - this on the DAWN - it also could also be something unique to a suite.

It's a suite thing, had the nice bag in a suite on the Star a couple of years ago, much nicer than the paper bag.  Using a pillowcase works just well though.  

5 hours ago, suntangirl said:

how much is it if you use the laundry service other than the special rate day?

CC member BirdTravels has a copy posted somewhere here.

A total of 5 items on the list exceeds the bag deal - with that you need to stuff the

bag deal with at least 5 items.

Found it the price list - LINK on page -3- is where you find it - review the other 2 pages for more information:

18 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

It's a suite thing, had the nice bag in a suite on the Star a couple of years ago, much nicer than the paper bag.  Using a pillowcase works just well though.  

Oh okay.  I had no idea.  I thought the room steward just brought us the wrong bag.  It sure was nicer that the paper bag.  

• Haha 1

Is the laundry bag at a set price offered on the Breakaway ship? We are a family of 6 and I am hoping it’s available so I don’t have to pack a bazillion suitcases! It’s a 7 day cruise. I called NCL and the representative would not confirm that the ship does it. 

We used the paper bag on the Escape half way through our cruise. Had no problems  and loved to not have a full suitcase full of dirty clothes to do when we got home. It was fast service and clothes came folded in the wicker basket which was on the bed in our cabin. We may do this on our cruise in December too.

On 5/16/2019 at 2:01 PM, A_J said:

Is the laundry bag at a set price offered on the Breakaway ship? We are a family of 6 and I am hoping it’s available so I don’t have to pack a bazillion suitcases! It’s a 7 day cruise. I called NCL and the representative would not confirm that the ship does it. 

Yes they will do the laundry bag special.  It will be later in the week

On 5/12/2019 at 11:16 PM, BirdTravels said:

Since we are platinum members, we get two free bags of laundry per cruise. We have never had any issues with NCL laundries. They take good care of clothes and get them back to you in one piece. 

We have also had great laundry service. I have to admit, it is nice to have a new pile of clean clothes available - just in case.