Great Galveston Restaurant?

janetmojo

Anyone have a favorite pre-cruise dinner spot?  We like to have a great meal on the night before our trip (kudos if it has great drinks too!)  We are staying at Harbor House next week but have no issues with Ubering etc. 

• 5 weeks later...

All previous suggestions are spot on-I would go with Vargas if it was me. I thought the service, food and presentation was terrific and the restaurant itself is quite attractive although it can get a little loud in certain areas. Willie G always satisfies and Rudy and Paco annually is  named one of Galveston's top restaurants. It is not for you since you are staying at Harbour House but anyone staying at Moody Gardens should try Shearns located on the hotel's top floor. Never disappoints and after dinner you can go to the bar for live entertainment.

On 5/14/2019 at 1:28 PM, George C said:

Our favorite is the steakhouse in San Luis resort , also nice piano bar next door.

Certainly one of Galveston’s best also . 

Also Number 13 is in same class as all mentioned . 

3 hours ago, 1Texansgo said:

All previous suggestions are spot on-I would go with Vargas if it was me. I thought the service, food and presentation was terrific and the restaurant itself is quite attractive although it can get a little loud in certain areas. Willie G always satisfies and Rudy and Paco annually is  named one of Galveston's top restaurants. It is not for you since you are staying at Harbour House but anyone staying at Moody Gardens should try Shearns located on the hotel's top floor. Never disappoints and after dinner you can go to the bar for live entertainment.

We had reservations for shearns and had room booked in moody gardens flight was canceled because of weather luckily we were able to get one in morning so we did not miss our Liberty of the seas , will stay there next time we cruise from Galveston, they have policy that you needed to cancel 24 hours before but did not charge us because of weather.

1 hour ago, George C said:

We had reservations for shearns and had room booked in moody gardens flight was canceled because of weather luckily we were able to get one in morning so we did not miss our Liberty of the seas , will stay there next time we cruise from Galveston, they have policy that you needed to cancel 24 hours before but did not charge us because of weather.

So glad to hear about the flexibility. 

• 4 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, ssb said:

Olympia is no longer in business ! 

Fisherman's Wharf is not fine dining, but has excellent food and on port waters .

FW is owned by Landry's a major restaurant chain  .

Fisherman's Wharf comments are not meant to be negative ! We eat there and at other Landry Restaurants in Galveston ! 

33 minutes ago, ssb said:

Fisherman's Wharf comments are not meant to be negative ! We eat there and at other Landry Restaurants in Galveston ! 

There are many who wouldn't be offended if your Landry's remarks were negative. Never eat at them as they are generally overpriced so so food, but I give Tillman Fretitta credit for being able to suck money out of a lot of people. He's found the formula.

24 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

There are many who wouldn't be offended if your Landry's remarks were negative. Never eat at them as they are generally overpriced so so food, but I give Tillman Fretitta credit for being able to suck money out of a lot of people. He's found the formula.

Texas Tillie 

Where do you eat in Galveston ? 

2 hours ago, ssb said:

Olympia is no longer in business ! 

Fisherman's Wharf is not fine dining, but has excellent food and on port waters .

FW is owned by Landry's a major restaurant chain  .

I did not know Olympia's was closed. Thank you very much-- that will save us a stop when we are there this weekend. Has a new restaurant replaced it?

19 minutes ago, Petroplex said:

I did not know Olympia's was closed. Thank you very much-- that will save us a stop when we are there this weekend. Has a new restaurant replaced it?

No new restaurant has replaced it . Word on the street is Pappadoux Seafood and or Pappasitos Mexican . 

Edited by ssb

7 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Haven't been in Galveston in years. Don't think I've eaten anywhere there since Gaido's and that was in the 1950s. Might have been there in the 1960s.

Gaidos is certainly legendary. 

4 hours ago, ssb said:

Gaidos is certainly legendary. 

When I was a child in the 50s we'd stay at the Jack Tar and eat at Gaido's. My aunt would babysit with the kids and my parents and grandparents would go to the Balinese Room when Sam Maceo still ran it!

Edited by Texas Tillie

6 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

When I was a child in the 50s we'd stay at the Jack Tar and eat at Gaido's. My aunt would babysit with the kids and my parents and grandparents would go to the Balinese Room when Sam Maceo still ran it!

Like wise my family came to Galveston in 1851 ! Lots of stories !  

2 minutes ago, ssb said:

Like wise my family came to Galveston in 1851 ! Lots of stories !  

I have a great great grandfather who came from Germany (well, Prussia) about that time into Galveston but kept going to Halletsville ( about 2/3 of the way to San Antonio).

11 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

I have a great great grandfather who came from Germany (well, Prussia) about that time into Galveston but kept going to Halletsville ( about 2/3 of the way to San Antonio).

If you don't mind me asking , what was last name ?

Edited by ssb

On 7/16/2019 at 10:35 PM, Texas Tillie said:

He used the name Pepper, but we assume he just changed it when he got here from Pfeffer, the German word for Pepper.

It appears we are probably not related . 

Shiner Halletsville area are obviously known for its Shiner Beer . But I photographed sign in New York City . 

The Island of Galveston and Texas Hill Country are both wonderful tourist destinations . 

8BA94F57-BF49-4610-87AF-C06B6389A49B.jpeg

Edited by ssb