Our 25th Anniversary Adventure - Baja Mexico & Hawaii on the Inspiration & Splendor

Jamman54

19 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

Following along! I was so happy to see a post on another thread where you mentioned your review. I’ve been waiting (not so patiently—Lol) for it ever since I heard you were sailing to Hawaii for your 25th Anniversary. And the extra bonus of this shorter cruise was fabulous! My hubby and I are celebrating our 50th Anniversary in March, and had a cruise booked for April 11 for an 8 day on the Magic. After much discussion, we felt that wasn’t enough celebrating, so we added a week on, April 5, to make it a B2B, because these milestone anniversaries require a whole lot more celebrating! We are actually going to drive to Ft Lauderdale, so we are even leaving one week early, and rented a cottage in Florida before boarding our ship. We also added a cruise in February on the Glory out of NOLA, and heading there 3 days prior. I am so excited to be following along on yours and Patti’s  celebration! 

Love your plan for your 50th, and the fact that you keep adding more time for celebrating!  :classic_biggrin: Enjoy your planning. :classic_cool:

17 hours ago, Hogladyrider said:

The Queen Mary looks like an amazing experience.

It is for sure! :classic_biggrin:

14 minutes ago, crucero said:

Your review is just wonderful. Would you recommend the Queen Mary for a family of 4? 2 adults & 2 children (14 & 10). We need one night before our January cruise.

Thanks for reading! I would recommend the Queen Mary for one night as it is something different. Makes it very easy to board your ship the next morning. :classic_cool:

• Like 1

After finishing our breakfast we continued with our tour of the Queen Mary. We head forward to the Model Room. The first model you see is a huge cut away model of the Titanic…..

IMG_5705-X2.jpg

IMG_5724-X2.jpg

Here are some views of the large models they had on display……

IMG_5707-X2.jpg

IMG_5710-X2.jpg

IMG_5711-X2.jpg

IMG_5717-X2.jpg

IMG_5716-X2.jpg

IMG_5719-X2.jpg

IMG_5718-X2.jpg

IMG_5720-X2.jpg

IMG_5722-X2.jpg

IMG_5723-X2.jpg

A couple of Carnival ships made the small model display. Can you name the two classes shown?

IMG_5715-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 1

Here is a replica of the children’s playroom…..

IMG_5733-X2.jpg

IMG_5732-X2.jpg

We make our way forward to the Observation Bar…..

IMG_5681-X2.jpg

IMG_5683-X2.jpg

IMG_5684-X2.jpg

IMG_5737-X2.jpg

IMG_5738-X2.jpg

IMG_5739-X2.jpg

IMG_5740-X2.jpg

We step out on the open deck outside the Observation Bar…..

IMG_5741-X2.jpg

IMG_5747-X2.jpg

IMG_5746-X2.jpg

To be continued…….

• Like 1

Looking up at the bridge of the Queen Mary……

IMG_5742-X2.jpg

Winston Churchill table and chair…..

IMG_5749-X2.jpg

IMG_5750-X2.jpg

These are the stairs up to the Sun Deck…..

IMG_5752-X2.jpg

We are now outside on the Sun Deck…..

IMG_5753-X2.jpg

IMG_5767-X2.jpg

IMG_5775-X2.jpg

IMG_5756-X2.jpg

Here are some views of Long Beach from the Sun Deck of the Queen Mary…..

IMG_5772-X2.jpg

IMG_5773-X2.jpg

IMG_5774-X2.jpg

To be continued……

• Like 2

This is the stairway up to Sir Winston’s Restaurant & Lounge…..

IMG_5777-X2.jpg

IMG_5776-X2.jpg

We are heading all the way aft on the Sun Deck……

IMG_5778-X2.jpg

IMG_5779-X2.jpg

IMG_5780-X2.jpg

The Dome and the Carnival Inspiration as viewed from the stern of the Queen Mary…..

IMG_5782-X2.jpg

IMG_5784-X2.jpg

IMG_5788-X2.jpg

IMG_5794-X2.jpg

Looking forward from the stern…..

IMG_5790-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 1

The Rescue at Sea display……

IMG_5813-X2.jpg

IMG_5812-X2.jpg

IMG_5811-X2.jpg

We make our way back up to the Promenade Deck. We pass the Royal Wedding Chapel…..

IMG_5816-X2.jpg

IMG_5815-X2.jpg

They have an original elevator display…..

IMG_5817-X2.jpg

IMG_5818-X2.jpg

This is where the Chelsea Chowder House & Bar is located. We will be having dinner here later…..

IMG_5821-X2.jpg

IMG_5822-X2.jpg

Here is the Mid Ship Marketplace……

IMG_5824-X2.jpg

IMG_5825-X2.jpg

IMG_5826-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 1

We noticed a submarine berthed next to the Queen Mary, so we decided to head out and check it out…..

IMG_5827-X2.jpg

IMG_5828-X2.jpg

IMG_5829-X2.jpg

IMG_5830-X2.jpg

IMG_5833-X2.jpg

It is a Russian submarine. This is what Wikipedia has to say about it:  B-427 was a Project 641 (Foxtrot-class) diesel-electric attack submarine of the Soviet Navy. The "B" (actually "Б") in her designation stands for большая (bolshaya, "large"). Commissioned in 1971, the submarine operated with the Russian Pacific Fleet until decommissioning in 1994. The boat was sold to a group of Australian businessmen, who converted her into a museum vessel, which was placed on display at the Australian National Maritime Museum (under the name Foxtrot-540) from 1995 until 1998, then at Long Beach, California (under the name Podvodnaya Lodka B-427 Scorpion) in 1998. As of July 2016, the submarine is closed to the public.

IMG_5835-X2.jpg

IMG_5836-X2.jpg

IMG_5839-X2.jpg

This is a great view of the whole area…..

IMG_5840-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 1

Our cabin still wasn’t ready yet so Patti and I made our way to the Observation Bar for a few drinks. We met a couple from Alabama who was also going on the Splendor tomorrow, so we had plenty to talk about.

Around 3:30 pm our cabin was ready, so we went and picked up our new key cards. Our luggage would be delivered to us shortly. Our cabin was on Deck M. This is the hallway leading down to our cabin…….

IMG_5863-X2.jpg

Off the hallway there is an alcove that leads to our cabin…..

IMG_5865-X2.jpg

IMG_5866-X2.jpg

We are in cabin M 131, which is a Deluxe King Stateroom with a Harbor View. It is a very spacious cabin with many of the original fixtures…..

IMG_5842-X2.jpg

IMG_5843-X2.jpg

IMG_5844-X2.jpg

IMG_5845-X2.jpg

IMG_5846-X2.jpg

IMG_5847-X2.jpg

IMG_5862-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

This is our bathroom…..

IMG_5848-X2.jpg

The toilet and flush handle…..

IMG_5849-X2.jpg

IMG_5852-X2.jpg

This is the sink and hair dryer…..

IMG_5850-X2.jpg

Here are the bathtub fixtures. The ones on the right are original…..

IMG_5855-X2.jpg

I don’t think that I will be using this shower! 😁

IMG_5856-X2.jpg

Some of the heat and a/c vents…..

IMG_5858-X2.jpg

This is the view from our porthole…..

IMG_5860-X2.jpg

We head to the Chelsea Chowder House & Bar for dinner, and are seated immediately…..

IMG_5869-X2.jpg

IMG_5870-X2.jpg

IMG_5871-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 2

The Chelsea Chowder House & Bar menu…..

IMG_5872-X2.jpg

IMG_5873-X2.jpg

We both had the Caesar salad and bread…..

IMG_5874-X2.jpg

IMG_5875-X2.jpg

I had the jumbo shrimp cocktail, New England clam chowder, and lobster roll…..

IMG_5876-X2.jpg

IMG_5879-X2.jpg

Patti had the Maryland crab cakes and asparagus…..

IMG_5878-X2.jpg

IMG_5880-X2.jpg

After dinner we went to see the “Illusions of the Passed” show starring Aiden Sinclair……

IMG_5881-X2.jpg

Both Patti and I enjoyed the show and participated in it. Afterwards we made our way back to the cabin for the night. We are anxious to begin the next chapter of our adventure!

Coming up next:   Hawaii here we come!!!  We board the Carnival Splendor.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, blarko said:

The photo tour of the QM is incredible. Are the shows & restaurants open to the public or do you have to be a hotel guest to enjoy them?

Yes, the shows and restaurants are open to the public. If you are a hotel guest you get a discount on the shows. :classic_cool:

• Like 1

Day # 10  (April 27th)  -  We board the Carnival Splendor!

We were up at 7 am to a cloudy day with the temperature in the low 60’s. We decided not to have breakfast this morning.

Our first order of business was to repack and retag our luggage for our cruise on the Splendor. We have cruised on the Splendor three times before when she was based in New York for a few summers. Our reviews of those cruises are in my signature if you are interested.

The Splendor has not yet been given the 2.0 upgrades, so she doesn’t have a Guy’s Burger Joint, Blue Iguana Cantina, Blue Iguana Tequila Bar, Red Frog Rum Bar, Red Frog Pub, or Alchemy Bar. To tell you the truth, we didn’t miss them. She will get those enhancements and more when she goes into dry dock in Singapore after a trans-Pacific cruise this October. Afterwards, she will re-position to Australia, so this will probably be the last time we will sail on her.

Around 9:30 am I tried calling down to the Bell Desk but was getting no answer. I walked down there and I could see why. Apparently there were quite a few people who stayed here last night that were cruising on the Splendor today so they were backed up. They took my name and cabin number and said they would be there to pick up our luggage in about fifteen minutes. Looking over at the terminal, I could see that one of the lines was already fairly long. It was the PRIORITY line!

IMG_5883-X2.jpg

True to their word, in less than fifteen minutes they were at our cabin collecting our luggage. We used Express Checkout, so checking out consisted of dropping our key cards in a box. Soon, our bell man was taking our luggage over to the Splendor’s luggage drop off area…..

IMG_5882-X2.jpg

IMG_5885-X2.jpg

Patti joins the Priority line……

IMG_5888-X2.jpg

Looking back at the Queen Mary…..

IMG_5889-X2.jpg

I continued following our luggage to the drop off area, where I spotted my buddy Big Al. He greeted me like an old friend, took our luggage, and wished us a great cruise. BTW, all porters and bell men were well taken care of for all of their efforts. Thanks guys!  Now I have to find Patti in this long line……

IMG_5891-X2.jpg

They opened the doors for priority guests at 10:30 am. The line moved extremely fast. Check in and the security screening moved so fast that we were in the Captain’s Lounge by 10:44 am. Great job Long Beach! The Captain’s Lounge is a lot more crowded today than it was on Monday. That’s because there are roughly 750 Platinum and 170 Diamond guests on this cruise. We received an email a week or two before leaving New Jersey that stated that no cabins would be ready until 1:30 pm, but we would be free to drop off our carry on bags. We were good with that.

IMG_5892-X2.jpg

IMG_5893-X2.jpg

IMG_5894-X2.jpg

At 11:15 am they called for Diamond guests to board, so off we went to begin our  long walk up the ramps, across the bridge, then onto the ship. Didn’t we just do this?  Once up top we posed for our embarkation picture……

IMG_5895.1-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

Edited by Jamman54
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Once our picture was taken, we were scanned onto the ship, and left the dome. In front of us was our home for the next 14 days, the Carnival Splendor…..

IMG_5896-X2.jpg

IMG_5895-X2.jpg

Here are some views as we walked across the long bridge over to the ship…..

IMG_5897-X2.jpg

IMG_5898-X2.jpg

IMG_5900-X2.jpg

IMG_5902-X2.jpg

IMG_5901-X2.jpg

IMG_5903-X2.jpg

We spot the pink donuts so we know we are back on the Splendor!

IMG_5904-X2.jpg

Since we are now aboard, here are today’s Fun Times. We invite you to examine the Fun Times from this cruise a little more carefully, since there will be many activities and events listed that you will not see on a normal cruise. We will be showing you some of these special activities and events as this review progresses…..

IMG_5905.1-X2.jpg

IMG_5905.2-X2.jpg

IMG_5905.3-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 4

Here is a map showing where we will be going on this 14 day Journeys cruise aboard the Carnival Splendor….

IMG_5906-X2.jpg

What a great start to the cruise. Everyone got lei’d when they boarded the ship! 😁  The Journeys cruise banner hangs in the Atrium…..

IMG_5916-X2.jpg

Here are the first pictures of Patti and I aboard the Splendor….

IMG_5915-X2.jpg

IMG_5913-X2.jpg

Our first drinks of the cruise. As always, you use your boarding pass to make purchases until you get your sail & sign cards…..

IMG_5924-X2.jpg

IMG_5925-X2.jpg

DJ T-Willy is spinning tunes in the Atrium…..

IMG_5926-X2.jpg

This is the Shore Excursion Desk….

IMG_5928-X2.jpg

This is one of several internet hubs…..

IMG_5929-X2.jpg

To be continued……

• Like 4

Around 11:50 am our cruise director, Lee Mason, made the announcement that all Diamond member cabins were now ready. We weren’t expecting that. Great job! So off we went to our cabin which was all the way aft on Deck 6, port side. We share a hallway with the cabin next door. We are in cabin # 6448 which is a bowling alley balcony cabin. Cabin 6450 is an aft wrap cabin which we were in on our very first Splendor cruise back in 2013…..

IMG_5931-X2.jpg

Our Sail & Sign cards were waiting in our mailbox when we arrived. To surprise Patti I had our cabin decorated in honor of our Anniversary. To surprise me, Patti had brought along cabin decorations, which she later hung up. We left the decorations up for the entire cruise…..

IMG_5932-X2.jpg

IMG_5933-X2.jpg

IMG_5944-X2.jpg

IMG_5937-X2.jpg

Our desk area and closets…..

IMG_5938-X2.jpg

IMG_5939-X2.jpg

This was also part of the Anniversary decorations package……

IMG_5941-X2.jpg

Our bathroom was next to the right side of the bed. It is a typical Carnival bathroom…..

IMG_5934-X2.jpg

IMG_5935-X2.jpg

IMG_5936-X2.jpg

This is our bowling alley balcony…..

IMG_5942-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 3

Here is some good to know information for those that want to know…..

IMG_5945-X2.jpg

IMG_5946-X2.jpg

We were feeling hungry so up to the Lido Restaurant on Deck 9 we went. I went through the buffet line and Patti got a turkey wrap from the deli. We decided to meet up on Deck 10 because normally the seating there is empty because it takes a few day for people to find it. However, since there were many veteran Splendor cruisers aboard, it was pretty crowded. I was able to procure a table…..

IMG_5954-X2.jpg

The Ol’ Fashioned BBQ is located up here…..

IMG_5958-X2.jpg

IMG_5950-X2.jpg

IMG_5951-X2.jpg

IMG_5952-X2.jpg

Looking down at the Sweet Spot…..

IMG_5947-X2.jpg

IMG_5953-X2.jpg

IMG_5955-X2.jpg

IMG_5956-X2.jpg

To be continued……

• Like 1

We head out to the Liner Pool and Bar all the way aft on Deck 9…..

IMG_5976-X2.jpg

IMG_5977-X2.jpg

IMG_5985-X2.jpg

IMG_5984-X2.jpg

The Deli is back here on the port side…..

IMG_5982-X2.jpg

IMG_5983-X2.jpg

The Tandoor is over on the starboard side. I believe that this may be the last Tandoor left in the fleet….

IMG_5966-X2.jpg

IMG_5965-X2.jpg

IMG_5967-X2.jpg

IMG_5975-X2.jpg

IMG_5974-X2.jpg

IMG_5972-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 1