Silver Shadow Refurbishment

zigtraveller

2 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Agreed @eastwoodboy  , that's horrible.  Hopefully in the 16 hours since your post, the problem has been fixed.  If someone flushed something they shouldn't have, it may be found.  But I don't envy the people working on the problem.

Maybe some day you can share the boarding house story ...

Yes all resolved sometime after midnight when our loo flushed itself so about 8 hours or so.

The only drama today was one of the tenders breaking down and having to be towed back to the ship by another.

Nothing much to say about the boarding house story other than to say that when I was a lad an exotic holiday was a trip to a seaside boarding house with one bathroom for all guests. En suites have not always been with us.

• Like 1

After being regaled by friends with the tale of their increasingly frantic search for their lost phone (they eventually found it), it occurred to me to go looking for something that wasn't there. And sure enough, I didn't find it.

There is no computer for passenger's use.

To connect to the outside world, you must use your own device. I checked with Reception and they are not able to let you use the ship's computer system.

Not a problem for most people most of the time, but if your device is lost or stolen and you don't have another one, then you're offline.

I think we all expected the loss of the library and Internet cafe (the Observation Lounge is now officially the Observation Library), but I assumed some arrangement like the Muse and Spirit where there is one computer near the desks in Dolce Vita - but no, the super whizzy new Shadow Atrium is not to be sullied by such things. IMO the super whizzy new Atrium is actually very attractive, but when they replaced the Reception and Shore Concierge desks with little podiums, p'raps they could have included a tiny podium for a passenger computer? Time will tell if it is actually a problem, may not be, everyone has so many devices these days, even I travel with three ...

There are, on the plus side, in the card room two tables set aside for doing a jigsaw with a sign asking people not to clear away a puzzle in progress. I've had that happen to me in the past - a huge, nearly completed puzzle cleared up and put away to accommodate some meeting - frustrating!!

And just as well that there is something to do as we are sailing into bad weather again - we have already had Mayreau, Les Saintes, and Antigua cancelled; now our visit today to St Barths has been shortened and Virgin Gorda tomorrow is cancelled - instead we will be at anchor at Roadtown (no free berths to dock) so if it's too rough to tender we'll be stuck with nowhere to go. I've been very abstemious with the foo foo drinks so far, maybe that's about to change ...

On 1/11/2020 at 11:56 AM, jollyjones said:

Well damn! I also disembark on Jan 24th so will miss Moss returning to the Classic fleet. Will just have to wait till the crossing 27th March, hope he'll still be onboard then. (Although I wonder if he'll board in Key West on 23rd, for a day's handover, sometimes they do that)

Another ship note - the A/C seems to be uber efficient. High volume of air flow means I can't quite get my cabin warm enough - I'm not freezing but another degree or two warmer would be more comfortable. I thought it was just me (my personal inner thermostat being entirely unreliable) but a guy on my trivia team also commented on it so it's not just me. (Did I mention we won again yesterday? We're gonna get seriously unpopular at this rate). And this being a southern Caribbean itinerary I didn't bring a sweater ... thought of it and said nah, don't be silly, you'll be too hot ...

We're docked at Point Seraphine today in St Lucia so plenty of shopportunity to buy a sweatshirt, maybe I'll do that. 

I was on the Whisper from 6th-20th December and found the aircon to be a bit severe; my one criticism of an otherwise wonderful cruise. It was alright at night because I like a cool bedroom, but in the day it was enough to make me put on a sweatshirt in the cabin, even with it turned to the highest temperature setting. My butler tried to sort it but it seemed to be ship- wide. A friend from the cruise recently emailed me a photo of her mother and myself wrapped in blankets in the Panorama Lounge during an after dinner show!

Edited by Clodia
typo

Mistress Shadow definitely continues to be a cool ship - all the public areas are very close to uncomfortably cool - I can just about manage with a tee shirt over capris but it's a close run thing, I'd be more comfortable with a light sweater over the tee shirt. When I return in March for the TA, I will be bringing more cardigans, wraps etc than I normally would.

This for sure beats a ship where all the cabins and public spaces have too little air flow and feel stuffy and hot - sweaters I have aplenty!

Our experience aboard was different. We were on deck 9 and often the air conditioning was not cool enough. We had no a/c on occasion.

In addition La T had a/c issues where it was beastly hot in the evening. Wait staff and pax had glistening foreheads.

We were told that it was one of the issues being addressed post redo.

Too hot vs too cold??

I think I would prefer the cold choice as I can always add layers vs too hot where there isn't an option to remove layers without causing other pax to gasp indignantly.

• Like 1

Hi Spins,

Sorry you had A/C issues, def. fixed now. I am not really complaining, I’d always take more fresh air rather than less, but I came on this cruise equipped for usual southern Caribbean weather which we haven’t had, my fault, I usually try to cover all possibilities. 

You can be sure I’ll be prepared in March!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

Spins. By any chance are you on the Shadow in November?

I wish, but no, we are going from Piraeus to Dubai on the Spirit. At least that's the plan right now. All depends upon risk benefit analysis!

Happy New Year to you both!!!

On 1/19/2020 at 2:06 PM, spinnaker2 said:

I wish, but no, we are going from Piraeus to Dubai on the Spirit. At least that's the plan right now. All depends upon risk benefit analysis!

Happy New Year to you both!!!

no risk and lots of benefits of joining Jolly, I, and many more of your friends on the Moon’s inaugural TA in November.  Yes, I know I keep beating a dead horse with you on this matter. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Stumble

Get some sleep.

We just got our plane reservations for our trip in November.

If the Dubai leg can't be fixed we will have a problem.

There is no reason to go from Dubai to Toronto and then change planes at 5 am to go to south Florida.

On air Canada.

🙂

• Haha 1