Silver Shadow Refurbishment

zigtraveller

Good Morning Observer - You are quite correct concerning the Zodiac Issue now available on The Whisper which will certainly make her more appropriate for The World Cruise. Maybe She will receive some more refurbishment in due course. 

We will be on board for a month in 2020 and will no doubt be supremely comfortable in her present Format.

Anne Marie is also on board ,till we return to Ft Lauderdale also no problems with internet, all fine

In port with S Wind today, are allowed to visit but would involve 4 tender journeys so will not bother

Edited by beaujolais
update

Love the reports & photos - thanks so much for taking your valuable chocolate/happy hour/meal/excursion/down or show times to post.  It is much appreciated.

Has anyone had a chance to look at the card room?  If so, what do you think?  How many tables?  Always one more question.  

Thanks all.  You ROCK.

• Like 2

First time off the Shadow since embarking and first sight of the new hull colour, Evolution Grey I think they call it, also the new font for the ship's name on bow and also you can just see the new logo on the funnel, no longer the company's name just the logo as it used to be. The new hull colour will eventually be applied to the whole classic fleet

IMG_20191208_144024.jpg

IMG_20191208_144325.jpg

IMG_20191208_144921.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Observer said:

Thanks very much. Any clue as to why they changed the hull color?  I don’t much like it. But I doubt I will ever be spending much time on the outside contemplating the paint job. 

In real life it looks much.better than my photo,  I'm sure you will.like it

• Like 1

Thanks for the pics of the hull!  I thought something looked different about the Shadow in the pics Spins took, but figured it must have just been the light of the day.  But, now I know that wasn’t the case.  Looks good to me!  Will make the SS ships "pop" a little more in port, a bit more modern in their appearance.

OMG....Thanks so much for the card room photos.  What cracks me up is thinking of trying to concentrate on a bridge hand while a rousing game of ping pong is happening in earshot.  That's not going to be fun !  Suspect that will change...hell hath no fury like wronged bridge players (guilty as charged!)

4 hours ago, nowornever said:

OMG....Thanks so much for the card room photos.  What cracks me up is thinking of trying to concentrate on a bridge hand while a rousing game of ping pong is happening in earshot.  That's not going to be fun !  Suspect that will change...hell hath no fury like wronged bridge players (guilty as charged!)

Hey, what about us Table Tennis players having to put up with you card players?

LOL... Just kidding! I would be surprised at this being a permanent home. Very odd If it were.

Stumblefoot, I hadn't even noticed the hull shade in the FLL arrival photos, (thanks for posting Spins) but now you know it, you can see it. Still quite subtle I guess. I do love the stark contrast of the expedition fleet hull. Not really sure what the point of the change is, but it's a non issue in terms of not liking. Just glad they didn't decide to paint graffiti looking hideous faces on them, like one or two other cruise lines have. Spend a $Bn on a state of the art vessel, then deface it with a Picasso paint job!

Edited by les37b
  • Like 1

Thanks to people who clarified the dining options for me on the Shadow. It is appreciated. I get confused by references to 'Musification' but I think it that menus do not change on the Muse but they do on Shadow. Best point is that most people seem to feel that Shadow is still very good and refurbishment is a success - so I am looking forward to booking a retirement cruise!

1 hour ago, Bob Ross said:

Thanks to people who clarified the dining options for me on the Shadow. It is appreciated. I get confused by references to 'Musification' but I think it that menus do not change on the Muse but they do on Shadow.

Unless things have changed recently, it is not the case that menus do not change on Muse.  They certainly do not change daily as they do in Shadow Restaurant.  But they do enjoy several changes every few days on Muse.  For example, at Indochine they may have Malabar Chicken some days and Rogan Josh on others.  And there are changes in soups, desserts, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Was docked with the Shadow in St. Maarten and I must say the new hull colour is NOT really attractive.  The grey has a very low gloss mat finish compared with the white.  When the ship was in the distance you could barely notice it, but as the ship got closer, you could see the new colour.   We were on Cunard which has the black hull and it was higher gloss.    Overall the new colour made the ship looked dull/drab.  Not elegant.

Edited by gentlemancruiser
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gentlemancruiser said:

Was docked with the Shadow in St. Maarten and I must say the new hull colour is NOT really attractive.

Not elegant.

Like food discussions, I’m sure plenty of folks here will agree / disagree with you.  But, thankfully, unlike food, paint color schemes have absolutely no bearing on the actual enjoyment of the voyage.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gentlemancruiser said:

Was docked with the Shadow in St. Maarten and I must say the new hull colour is NOT really attractive.  The grey has a very low gloss mat finish compared with the white.  When the ship was in the distance you could barely notice it, but as the ship got closer, you could see the new colour.   We were on Cunard which has the black hull and it was higher gloss.    Overall the new colour made the ship looked dull/drab.  Not elegant.

We always thought the pure white hull of SS classic ships somewhat derivative and are intrigued by the new colour scheme for the hull. Thanks for your view on this. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Count me as one who likes the new color scheme of the hull.

Count me as someone who didn’t even notice what colour it is. 

Boarding mattered, not the hull. 

Lunch mattered (no breakfast), not the hull. 

Champagne mattered, not the hull. 

However, my excursion tomorrow in Port of Spain ain’t happening for lack of numbers, so if I go ashore (which as a person on my own, I’m not so sure about), I guess I might look at the hull on the way home. 

As an aside, my cabin is about twenty feet away from the never ending food in the reception cafe which, with the magically refilling Smarties* bag in the cabin, means that my recent hard won weight loss is at severe risk. 

* Smarties are M & Ms for our American readers, although I’m not sure I’m still speaking to you after the Orange Toddler’s latest misjudgment. And that’s being polite. 

• Like 1