Long Beach Hotel Question

debnrick

Anyone stayed at the Residence Inn near the Queen Mary? Is there easy access to public transportation from hotel? Easy to walk from hotel to Carnival cruise ship pier? We will not have a car and staying 2 days pre-cruise. Thank you.

38 minutes ago, debnrick said:

Anyone stayed at the Residence Inn near the Queen Mary? Is there easy access to public transportation from hotel? Easy to walk from hotel to Carnival cruise ship pier? We will not have a car and staying 2 days pre-cruise. Thank you.

I have not stayed there, though I've stayed in a few other Long Beach hotels--usually for business purposes.  But I know the area fairly well.  I put the Residence in on my "B" List of Long Beach hotel recommendations.  My "A" list hotels are all across the channel--because that is where you'd find all of the restaurants, shops and most attractions (other than the Queen Mary) as well as being the nicest hotel properties (Hyatt Regency, Hyatt Centric at the Pike, Renaissance, Westin).  The location of the Residence Inn is not bad...though there isn't much around it other than industrial areas...BUT, there is a FREE shuttle--the "Passport" that will take you on a loop around the downtown area--both across the bridge to downtown and restaurants (and the Aquarium) as well as down the waterfront to the Queen Mary and Carnival terminal--with the stop being in front of the Maya Doubletree.  It is walkable--about a mile along the waterfront...though with luggage, you might prefer to take a shuttle of some sort...

Hi,

We only come to stay in Long Beach the day before our cruise and stay at the Doubletree Maya which often has a special Carnival rate. They have a free shuttle to the cruise pier and the free Passport Bus also stops there.

The Residence Inn is a little farther away from the pier than the Maya and for some strange reason doesn't offer a free shuttle to the pier. Perhaps they have changed that but last time I looked they didn't offer it.

For 2 days before the cruise you might just consider staying in LA to see the sights there as Long Beach doesn't have as much to offer, If you are happy just visiting the aquarium in Long Beach and having a meal then staying in Long Beach for your 2 days would probably be fine.

I love the touring the Queen Mary and appreciate the historic aspect of the ship.  That said, I would not want to book this as a hotel to stay in.   Pre-cruise I have zero expectation for a luxury hotel experience, but the rooms make a best western or la quinta look like a 4 star hotel.  

• Like 1

If you are sailing from Long Beach the Queen Mary is fine for an overnight. My sister spent a month there, off and on, as part of a flight crew that was put up there and she had a blast with it. I'd stay there in a heart beat because it is a unique opportunity.

Edited by scottca075

If you haven't stayed there (I have) then you really shouldn't pass judgement.  Granted it's not a Ritz Carlton.  But, you have to take in the entire experience not just the room.  We stayed in one of the officer's former cabins and it was rather large and full of nostalgia.  Considering you can walk to the Carnival terminal it's not a bad place for a one night pre-cruise stay.   

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 9:00 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

If you haven't stayed there (I have) then you really shouldn't pass judgement.  Granted it's not a Ritz Carlton.  But, you have to take in the entire experience not just the room.  We stayed in one of the officer's former cabins and it was rather large and full of nostalgia.  Considering you can walk to the Carnival terminal it's not a bad place for a one night pre-cruise stay.   

Possibly, but after a couple ship tours where I saw the cabins, I can safely say I would not want to sleep there. 

And Ritz Carlton is hardly my expectation on a pre cruise overnight.  It's an admirable ship and I admire its history. 

I wish the owner would invest more into upkeep and keeping it at something approaching its former glory.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 9:00 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

I have stayed there and it would not be my choice for a hotel in Long Beach.:classic_smile: