Why is insurance through Regent not a good idea?

poss

In the past few months we have had to book two very different cruises in terms of cost and duration, and therefore how we handled trip insurance.  When we booked the Regent 2021 WC we needed to book comprehensive insurance that would cover that large amount of money and the four months of travel.  After much looking around we found a company that is underwritten by Berkshire Hathaway and cost us around 7% of the fare.  It included interruption, cancellation, medical care, and evacuation up to $1 million.  The other cruise is an Azamara 10-day from Copenhagen to Southampton.  In that case I m using my Chase Sapphire card and Medjet.  Together the cost was under $450 for the two of us, and will cover us for the year, since I expect we will be taking another short cruise in the next year.  When I was on the Medjet website I did notice that they have coverage for persons over 74 but I don't know how much it is and how old they go.  This is just my recent experience with the subject of travel insurance, for what it is worth.

1 hour ago, Lady's Mom said:

After much looking around we found a company that is underwritten by Berkshire Hathaway and cost us around 7% of the fare.  It included interruption, cancellation, medical care, and evacuation up to $1 million.  When I was on the Medjet website I did notice that they have coverage for persons over 74 but I don't know how much it is and how old they go.  This is just my recent experience with the subject of travel insurance, for what it is worth.

Would love to know the company you used for the 2021 WC.  As for Medjet, they have what they call Diamond Membership for travelers from age 75 through 84.  Requires you to fill out a General Health Questionaire and a doctor ( more than one doctor depending on recent health/medical issues) to fill out and sign a Physician's Confidential Medical Statement.  Coverage is for 1 year only for an individual and cost $450 per year and goes up from there depending if it includes a spouse, how old the spouse is, and other options.

Hi Poss, thank you for your comments about Explorer, I agree with many of them, have never warmed up to Compass Rose!! Glad you enjoyed the cruise, although , like you, we some times enjoy our time on land more! 

Regarding insurance, Ive also never quite gotten the hang of "pre -existing" conditions, so I always buy the insurance within the parameters to cover that, not so much for us, but because I have very old parents still with us. 

9 hours ago, toseaornottosea said:

Would love to know the company you used for the 2021 WC.  As for Medjet, they have what they call Diamond Membership for travelers from age 75 through 84.  Requires you to fill out a General Health Questionaire and a doctor ( more than one doctor depending on recent health/medical issues) to fill out and sign a Physician's Confidential Medical Statement.  Coverage is for 1 year only for an individual and cost $450 per year and goes up from there depending if it includes a spouse, how old the spouse is, and other options.

The plan name is TripAssure and it is through Berkshire Hathaway.  I found it on the site InsureMyTrip.  I hope that helps.

My problem with TripAssure and Berkshire Hathaway, and other insurers and consolidators is that I'm Canadian.  None of these work.  I have managed to find insurance for about 2/3's of my 2021 WC, in a lowly G cabin.  When we come to final payment we'll have to take a big gulp and 'self insure' the rest.  And yes, I've tried everything.

On 5/18/2019 at 8:05 AM, Carol From California said:

We got the Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card a few years ago. You have $10,000 pp coverage if you put "any portion" of the cruise on the card. Note: preexisting conditions are not covered. There are other benefits to the card besides the travel insurance. 

Carol do you do other insurance to suppliment the Sapphire?  That is the direction we are headed...and adding MedJet for safety at the recommendation of my doctor...frequent traveler.  Also we verified that our Anthem policy will cover us while on cruise.  Is that enough if we are willing to 'self insure the difference between $10K and the cruise cost?

7 minutes ago, lesliebe said:

Carol do you do other insurance to supplement the Sapphire?  That is the direction we are headed...and adding MedJet for safety at the recommendation of my doctor...frequent traveler.  Also we verified that our Anthem policy will cover us while on cruise.  Is that enough if we are willing to 'self insure the difference between $10K and the cruise cost?

Lesliebe only you can determine if that is enough.  Not something that anyone else can or should decided for you.  And, by the way the coverage is $20K per person per occurrence up to a total of $40K per year.

33 minutes ago, lesliebe said:

Carol do you do other insurance to suppliment the Sapphire?  That is the direction we are headed...and adding MedJet for safety at the recommendation of my doctor...frequent traveler.  Also we verified that our Anthem policy will cover us while on cruise.  Is that enough if we are willing to 'self insure the difference between $10K and the cruise cost?

It is my understanding that the insurance through the Chase Sapphire Reserve (if you charge some portion of the trip with the card) covers you $10K each or $20K per couple. There is also emergency air evacuation included with the Chase Sapphire Reserve card, but it only covers $100K. American Express Platinum (I also have that card) has emergency air evacuation with no limit. You don't have to use the card to get this benefit. https://thepointsguy.com/guide/credit-card-travel-accident-evacuation-insurance/ and https://thepointsguy.com/guide/best-credit-cards-travel-protections/

33 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Lesliebe only you can determine if that is enough.  Not something that anyone else can or should decided for you.  And, by the way the coverage is $20K per person per occurrence up to a total of $40K per year.

I think the coverage is $10K per person up to $20K per trip. https://thepointsguy.com/guide/best-credit-cards-travel-protections/

4 minutes ago, Carol From California said:

I think the coverage is $10K per person up to $20K per trip. https://thepointsguy.com/guide/best-credit-cards-travel-protections/

Carol, I have the guide to benefits and it clearly  each traveler is eligible to receive the primary benefit  up to th trip anellation and trip interruption maximum limit of insurance per Occurrence  And trip cancellation and trip interruption are shows separately an $20K per occurrence and $40K per twelve month period..

Also and I ran this by Chase and Chubb the actual insurer and have it in writing that if you have more than one Chase card the benefits are additive so I have the reserve at $20K plus 3 other cards at $6K each so I have $38K per person per occurrence and $76K per 12 month period.

16 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Carol, I have the guide to benefits and it clearly  each traveler is eligible to receive the primary benefit  up to th trip anellation and trip interruption maximum limit of insurance per Occurrence  And trip cancellation and trip interruption are shows separately an $20K per occurrence and $40K per twelve month period..

Also and I ran this by Chase and Chubb the actual insurer and have it in writing that if you have more than one Chase card the benefits are additive so I have the reserve at $20K plus 3 other cards at $6K each so I have $38K per person per occurrence and $76K per 12 month period.

I have the benefits booklet too (attached) and I was under the impression that there is a maximum of $20K per occurrence. So for each trip that is the maximum you can claim....$10K each.  Am I wrong about that?  Yes, there is a $40K limit in a 12 month period. I also have other cards with travel insurance and I am aware that you can add these together, if the trip costs more than $20K.  

Chase Sapphire Reserve Insurance.pdf

9 minutes ago, Carol From California said:

I have the benefits booklet too (attached) and I was under the impression that there is a maximum of $20K per occurrence. So for each trip that is the maximum you can claim....$10K each.  Am I wrong about that?  Yes, there is a $40K limit in a 12 month period. I also have other cards with travel insurance and I am aware that you can add these together, if the trip costs more than $20K.  

Chase Sapphire Reserve Insurance.pdf 336.88 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks for the pdf Carol.  The part I tried typing the quote is just above the limitation of benefits as follows

"If I charge multiple travel arrangements for myself and Immediate Family Members, do the benefits apply to each person?
Yes, each traveler is eligible to receive the primary benefit up to the Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption Maximum Limit of Insurance per Occurrence"

To me that means each person has up to $20K per person up to the $40K per year total limitation.

22 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Thanks for the pdf Carol.  The part I tried typing the quote is just above the limitation of benefits as follows

"If I charge multiple travel arrangements for myself and Immediate Family Members, do the benefits apply to each person?
Yes, each traveler is eligible to receive the primary benefit up to the Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption Maximum Limit of Insurance per Occurrence"

To me that means each person has up to $20K per person up to the $40K per year total limitation.

I may call them to clarify.

8 minutes ago, Carol From California said:

I may call them to clarify.

Carol, when you say $20000 do you mean 10K each interruption and cancellation?  Look forward to getting clarification from your call.  

I hail from the North Valley.......maybe we have moved in the same circles!  LOL I lived in Encino and went to Birmingham years ago 🙂

7 minutes ago, lesliebe said:

Carol, when you say $20000 do you mean 10K each interruption and cancellation?  Look forward to getting clarification from your call.  

I hail from the North Valley.......maybe we have moved in the same circles!  LOL I lived in Encino and went to Birmingham years ago 🙂

Interruption and Cancellation are separate cases each up to $40K per year.  See below from link Carol posted.  Download it and see all of the benefits yourself.

What is the Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption Maximum Limit of Insurance per Occurrence?
If more than one person insured under the same Account suffers a Covered Loss for the same Covered Trip, the Company will not pay more than:
Benefit
Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption Maximum Limit of Insurance Per Occurrence
Maximum Benefit Amount per Twelve (12) Month Period
Trip Cancellation
Twenty Thousand ($20,000.00) Dollars
Forty Thousand ($40,000.00) Dollars
Trip Interruption
If a Covered Loss results in Benefit Amounts becoming payable, which when totaled, exceed the applicable Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption Maximum Limit of Insurance per Occurrence, then the Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption Maximum Limit of Insurance per Occurrence will be divided proportionally among the Insured Persons, based on each applicable Benefit Amount.

11 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Interruption and Cancellation are separate cases each up to $40K per year.  See below from link Carol posted.  Download it and see all of the benefits yourself.

What is the Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption Maximum Limit of Insurance per Occurrence?
If more than one person insured under the same Account suffers a Covered Loss for the same Covered Trip, the Company will not pay more than:
Benefit
Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption Maximum Limit of Insurance Per Occurrence
Maximum Benefit Amount per Twelve (12) Month Period
Trip Cancellation
Trip Interruption
If a Covered Loss results in Benefit Amounts becoming payable, which when totaled, exceed the applicable Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption Maximum Limit of Insurance per Occurrence, then the Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption Maximum Limit of Insurance per Occurrence will be divided proportionally among the Insured Persons, based on each applicable Benefit Amount.

This is why this makes little sense to me:

What is Trip Cancellation insurance?
Trip Cancellation insurance reimburses you or your Immediate
Family Members for up to ten thousand ($10,000.00)
dollars for each Covered Trip if a Covered Loss prevents
you or your Immediate Family Members from traveling on or
48 Questions? Call 1-888-675-1461
before the departure date and results in cancellation of the..

This is from the August 26, 2018 Visa Infinite  Chase Sapphire Reserve benefit booklet.  Is there more than one Chase Sapphire Reserve? 

21 minutes ago, lesliebe said:

I just called.  What they told me is $10K per person, $20K max per occurrance.   So if your family is a family of 3, they would still only pay $20K MAX for the occurrance.

Glad that you called as reading stuff from the website is "Gobbledy gook".  The best definition that I found regarding trip cancellation coverage is:  "Chase Sapphire Reserve trip cancellation coverage.  Trip cancellation insurance covers you if you must cancel a prepaid trip before you leave.  The Chase Sapphire Reserve and will pay you back up to $10,000 for the non-refundable parts of a covered trip you booked with your card.  Your immediate family members are covered too"

P.S.  Yes - there is more than one Chase Sapphire Reserve.  One has an annual fee of $95/year and the other fee is $450/year.  My post is about the card with a $450/year fee.

Due to the cost of the Sapphire Reserve card, only my DH has the card.  We made the decision since I am covered as well.  Although $20,000 does not cover our cruises, it is a lot better than losing the entire fare.  

Since parts of the above description in a previous post is not clear, it is a maximum of $20K per incident and $40K per year.

Would like to add the following (hope that it is clear):

• What is not covered:
  • Travel arrangements canceled or changed by a common carrier, tour operator, or any travel agency unless the cancellation is the result of severe weather or an organized strike affecting public transportation
  • Change in plans or financial circumstances
  • A pre-existing condition
  • Traveling against the advice of a physician
  • A declared or undeclared war
  • Trips that exceed 60 days in duration are not covered
Edited by Travelcat2

12 hours ago, lesliebe said:

The coverage is $10K per person maximum (thanks to lesliebe who made the call to confirm), if you have to cancel because your trip is interrupted or your trip is cancelled. As someone else pointed out pre-existing conditions are not covered. You have to put "some portion" of the trip on the card. There is only ONE Chase Sapphire Reserve card.  There is also a Chase Sapphire Preferred card. They are different. The Chase Sapphire Reserve card does have a $450 annual fee, but they give you a $300 annual credit for anything travel so that means the effective cost of the card is $150 per year. Some of the perks:

• $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year

• 3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. $0 foreign transaction fees.

• Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $750 toward travel

• 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs

• Access to 1,000+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select

• Up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®

How did you know I live in Encino? Do I have that somewhere. Where do you live now?  Small world!

Edited by Carol From California

12 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

The Chase Sapphire Reserve and will pay you back up to $10,000 for the non-refundable parts of a covered trip you booked with your card.  Your immediate family members are covered too"

Just a clarification: one needs to change only a portion of the total traip cost, but if I read the above statement correctly, only up to the amount that was actually charged is reimbursable. Is that correct?

Edited by 1985rz1

3 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Just a clarification: one needs to change only a portion of the total traip cost, but if I read the above statement correctly, only up to the amount that was actually charged is reimbursable. Is that correct?

Nothing I have read or heard states any limit other than the limits in the Contract.  Any amount charged covers the full trip up to the limits in the plan.  That is why we an charge minimal amounts to other than the Reserve Card and thereby add to the $20K limit per occurrence and increase the coverage by thousands of dollars thus insuring expensive trips.