Looking for suggestions for hotels

Hi everyone,

Flying from the US to Sydney in Feb 2020 for Ovations of the Seas to cruise New Zealand.  I will be staying in Sydney for three day.  Looking for any suggestions for hotels where to stay in Sydney.  I hear the Rocks area is nice, true?  Please and thanks for any suggestions.

Scott

Shangri La is right next to the Rocks and Circular Quay. Great views from the Ocean facing rooms. 

Four Seasons is spectacular and next door to the Shangri la  , The Marriot is also in close proximity to the Rocks . Mc Gallery by Sofitel is in the Rocks and thats a nice Hotel .There are other Hotel options in the Rocks but smaller rooms generally and less facilities.

• Like 1

We stayed at the Marriott, end of Pitt St, a few weeks ago. Vey good hotel and only 5 minutes to ship at Overseas Terminal.  We did not eat there, too expensive, but ate dinner and breakfast at City Extra opposite the ferries.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Cruiselover800 said:

Hi everyone,

Flying from the US to Sydney in Feb 2020 for Ovations of the Seas to cruise New Zealand.  I will be staying in Sydney for three day.  Looking for any suggestions for hotels where to stay in Sydney.  I hear the Rocks area is nice, true?  Please and thanks for any suggestions.

Scott

We stayed at the Amora Hotel Jamison and walked to the passenger terminal the next day after breakfast.  Fantastic room and large bathroom.  Easy access to shops and transport.

• Like 1

As you can see from the range of recommendations plenty of good hotels to pick from, if it’s only the one night I look close to the terminal, if it’s a few nights or money is a big factor you can look further afield, we’ve stayed at the IBIS Pitt St, pretty cheap and basic and only about $20 from the terminal, but in my opinion nothing beats waking up to see your ship dock, breakfast and a short stroll to check in.

For longer stays serviced appartments come up trumps, with laundry facilities and a kitchenette to take care of a few meals.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cruiselover800 said:

Thank you all for the great suggestions.  We can't wait until February.  

Thanks again for all the responses!!!

Sydney is the 2nd most expensive city next to Hong Kong.

The closer to the harbour the more expensive.

Sydney has a fantastic public transport system,so if your budget doesn’t allow a premium hotel at the rocks there’s plenty of alternative areas such as darling harbour and you are only a short train ride away.

• Like 1

Hi cruiselover800,

We love staying at Pullman Grand Quay, right on the Harbour. It’s just a level walk around to the ship in the morning. You can sit on your balcony with a fresh brewed coffee and watch Ovation dock (if you are an early riser). Begins our cruise every time 😉

https://www.pullmanquaygrandsydneyharbour.com

Enjoy your cruise, Rose 🌹

63CA78BB-292B-4228-B3D2-42ED33C1706C.jpeg

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Sydney is the 2nd most expensive city next to Hong Kong.

The closer to the harbour the more expensive.

Sydney has a fantastic public transport system,so if your budget doesn’t allow a premium hotel at the rocks there’s plenty of alternative areas such as darling harbour and you are only a short train ride away.

Some years Sydney even comes in first when they factor in exchange rates.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 5:08 AM, Cruiselover800 said:

Hi everyone,

Scott

For my money you can't go past the Amora in Jamison Street, Sydney - https://www.amorahotels.com/hotels/amora-hotel-jamison-sydney?utm_source=google-local&utm_medium=organic .  Very conveniently located to the CBD and walking distance from Circular Quay / The Rocks and easy distance from Darling Harbour .  This is our go to place when cruising out of Sydney as it is reasonably priced, very comfortable and welcoming and in a brilliant location for accessing the best that Sydney city has to offer.  Dee.

• Like 1

TripAdvisor and Booking.com are great place to start searching for good hotels with competitive rates, then check out what ever you find directly and compare. Often, you can go direct for the same price or cheaper with better perks included.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am very cautious about hotel bookings and do a load of research for location, customer experience, quality and cost. Close to Circular Quay/The Rocks and Darling Harbour were very important. In the end I decided on the The Amora and I am very pleased to see the above posts which suggest I have chosen well. I booked direct with the hotel rather than using a booking website and saved. Sign up to their awards program before booking.

• Thanks 1

We went through Stayz to find a place for eight nights and reserved an awesome apartment. There are some nice properties available for as few as one night that you might want to take a look at. If you are staying for more than one night it may be worthwhile to take a look as I know I don't want to eat out every single meal for eight days before we board Ruby Princess next April.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mademypoint said:

We went through Stayz to find a place for eight nights and reserved an awesome apartment. There are some nice properties available for as few as one night that you might want to take a look at. If you are staying for more than one night it may be worthwhile to take a look as I know I don't want to eat out every single meal for eight days before we board Ruby Princess next April.

I would also book an apartment for eight nights; indeed for three nights or more.  But for only 1-2 nights, a hotel easier and is what Nang wants.  As I posted earlier, my son and I loved the Amora Jamison for its room size, location and proximity to Circular Quay and Darling Harbour.  Boy, did we do some walking during our one day in Sydney!  The Cove that has recently been renovated, Barangaroo Point and the Sydney Observatory and many points between.  Lovely local coffee places and parks.  Enjoy your eight days in Sydney.

I am sailing solo on Ruby Princess this December for the film festival cruise.  Something different and interesting.

• Like 1