post cruise Sydney or Auckland??

In the process of booking our flight home to the USA from Sydney arrival port.  This will be after a 19 day Transpacific Cruise starting in Hawaii, with our trip starting on 5 days before pre-cruise.  Overall a long time to be away from home.  Looking for your input if it is worth the stopover in Auckland for a day or two (the connecting city for Air New Zealand back to the USA)?  We are already staying a couple of days in Sydney post arrival.  I typically become Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz feeling by the end of the trip, 'there is no place like home', but I also don't want to miss the opportunity if its worth the extra time and $$$.

Advise also if two full days and nights are enough time in Sydney post arrival.

1 hour ago, meripour said:

In the process of booking our flight home to the USA from Sydney arrival port.  This will be after a 19 day Transpacific Cruise starting in Hawaii, with our trip starting on 5 days before pre-cruise.  Overall a long time to be away from home.  Looking for your input if it is worth the stopover in Auckland for a day or two (the connecting city for Air New Zealand back to the USA)?  We are already staying a couple of days in Sydney post arrival.  I typically become Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz feeling by the end of the trip, 'there is no place like home', but I also don't want to miss the opportunity if its worth the extra time and $$$.

Advise also if two full days and nights are enough time in Sydney post arrival.

There’s nothing like your own bed.

As you said ,the expense ,you have to make the best of your trip.

One BIG thing I have to suggest is a couple of days in Queenstown.

So a couple of nights in Sydney is ok (you could stay more),Fly to Queenstown for a few nights,Auckland and then home.

I presume you’re flying with Air New Zealand they should do you a good deal.

Edited by Chiliburn

I agree in that you will be missing your bed but if you are making this trip your won and only visit down under, I would want to spend more time.  As you visit Wellington and Picton, you will see some of NZ but 2 days is just not justice for such a beautiful country. That said, 2 days in Australia and only seeing Sydney may not be enough either.

Perhaps check out TripAdvisor and put in various places of interest and see if any are hitting the mark to make you want to visit.

All of this is most likely governed by time and cost, but only you know what is possible and what is of most importance to see when visiting us.

We are going down under one time in our lives so being away longer is secondary to an adventure of a lifetime. We are actually flying out of Auckland on a red eye the day we get off Ruby Princess and going to Hawaii for a day and a half. Since I can't get back to NY without stopping might as well do it someplace fun. Tahiti was my first choice but the timing to do that was not right.

Just remember you get time back when you leave so our flight leaves at 11:55PM but gets in at 1030 that morning. 

7 minutes ago, Mademypoint said:

We are going down under one time in our lives so being away longer is secondary to an adventure of a lifetime. We are actually flying out of Auckland on a red eye the day we get off Ruby Princess and going to Hawaii for a day and a half. Since I can't get back to NY without stopping might as well do it someplace fun. Tahiti was my first choice but the timing to do that was not right.

Just remember you get time back when you leave so our flight leaves at 11:55PM but gets in at 1030 that morning. 

Yes you go back in time but you don’t feel younger 

3 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Yes you go back in time but you don’t feel younger 

Very true but in terms of how many days you're away it does matter. If you are deciding between being away 20 days and 21 days the 21st day is actually the 20th day because you get that time back.   

21 minutes ago, Mademypoint said:

Very true but in terms of how many days you're away it does matter. If you are deciding between being away 20 days and 21 days the 21st day is actually the 20th day because you get that time back.   

West bound you loose a day.

The jet lag is worse eastbound for some reason.

Going east I have a stop ,a sleep and a shower.

Edited by Chiliburn

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

West bound you loose a day.

The jet lag is worse eastbound for some reason.

Going east I have a stop ,a sleep and a shower.

We are stopping in Hawaii on the way back for a day and a half then going east. I don't get jet lag when I go to Europe so hopefully won't get it this time. I'll land back in NJ at 6:30 AM so I'll go stand outside for a bit, that usually resets my body clock. 😊

Edited by Mademypoint

19 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

You may call it jet lag, I call it the coming home and holiday over blues.

Nah, it's more than just the blues, it's a physical reaction. Almost like flu in some ways.