Hemp Oil

Muumuu

Not a lecture, I'm not that versed on pros and cons, but from what I've read, even in pro CBD sites, is that nearly all hemp oil and CBD products, even those that claim to have "none", will have perhaps less than 1% of THC, and the DEA has stated that any amount of THC makes the product illegal under Federal law.  I don't believe that hemp products' status has been clarified under Bahamian or Panamanian (the two most common flag states for cruise ships) law, nor under IMO conventions.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rudyard said:

Your best bet is to call Carnival and ask them

That is last thing you want to do. I don't know why everyone talks about other countries, you are not taking it off the ship. I really think it's a non issue in your bathroom bag. It's sold on Amazon. If you want transfer it to an unmarked squeeze bottle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coevan said:

That is last thing you want to do. I don't know why everyone talks about other countries, you are not taking it off the ship. I really think it's a non issue in your bathroom bag. It's sold on Amazon. If you want transfer it to an unmarked squeeze bottle. 

One reason for discussion of other countries is that on the ship you are in another country, and their laws prevail.  And again, without getting into a discussion of whether it is right or not, the DEA has filed suit against any number of companies for sending this product through the US Mail, so being sold on Amazon isn't really the point.  Not saying it is a large risk, just that the technicality exists.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, coevan said:

Plenty of people have left marijuana inside their cabin while in port, and it was found and the person arrested in that country.  The port is property of that country, and once you dock there, their laws.  The authorities in the countries you are visiting are allowed to board the ship with drug sniffing dogs as well, but I am not sure they would detect it.  

If you plan to take it, do thorough research on each country’s laws regarding hemp oil.  While it may be legal in some parts of the US, a lot of countries frown upon it.

Chengkp75 agreed, but it's pain relief is quite astounding. I have a friend with Epilepsy and takes daily dosages. He has not had a seizure in years. 

Edited by coevan
added content
  • Like 2

one more after a little research, the OP mentions hemp oil which is different then CBD Oil

Is hemp oil legal? Yes. The president of the United States signed off on the new Farm Bill on December 21st, 2019, bringing about a wide range of changes that will allow the use of hemp and products derived from hemp in all fifty states, to be legally farmed and sold as long as the hemp itself has been grown by a licensed farmer and the THC content in the hemp-derived products in 0.3% or less.

1 hour ago, FTLCruiseGal said:

Plenty of people have left marijuana inside their cabin while in port, and it was found and the person arrested in that country.  The port is property of that country, and once you dock there, their laws.  The authorities in the countries you are visiting are allowed to board the ship with drug sniffing dogs as well, but I am not sure they would detect it.  

If you plan to take it, do thorough research on each country’s laws regarding hemp oil.  While it may be legal in some parts of the US, a lot of countries frown upon it.

Yes and no.  Both the flag state's laws and the port state's laws overlap onboard when the ship is in a foreign port, and there is a internationally recognized formula for which jurisdiction applies to a given situation on the ship.  For the most part, you are correct with regards to illegal drugs being the jurisdiction of the port state, I'm not sure if the right of the port state to conduct customs searches  can be used for strictly drug searches.

• Like 3

The Port of Tampa has dogs that sniff people and luggage upon returning from a cruise. We have seen people taken away to a room by local sheriff's deputies after their dogs pointed out several people. I don't know anything about hemp oil but it might be wise to leave it at home if it is something that might alert the dogs when you return from the cruise.

• Like 1

Just for those calling no big deal. It will not be unless local police come on board and invite you to the local jail, which I have seen on Carnival Ships. If it is against local local Carnival has no leeway on what happens to you if you are found with illegal products in a foreign port. But of course they will not be the one going to jail

10 hours ago, Muumuu said:

is it allowed ?

anyone with experience cruising with it ?

I take CBD oil and I brought it on our cruise in March.   I have a lifelong stomach ailment that I take it for.   I started in November of last year and it has completely taken away all of my symptoms....severe pain, nausea and horrible other effects.  I know people have differing opinions on its effects, but for me it has been a lifesaver with getting rid of these symptoms, so it was no question for me to bring it with.

I use the dropper bottle and just packed it with my medicines.   It was fine. 

I can not speak to the legality of it everywhere, but in our state it is completely legal and sold at local shops.  I also never took it out of my room nor off the ship anywhere. 

Edited by bingomamma19
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, ljslight said:

I just started taking it for my rheumatoid arthritis.  I looked at my ports and I am doing Hawaii and Van Couver and is legal,

Canada yes, do not know about Hawaii,if i guessed i would say yes but best check

2 hours ago, jmcathome said:

Just for those calling no big deal. It will not be unless local police come on board and invite you to the local jail, which I have seen on Carnival Ships. If it is against local local Carnival has no leeway on what happens to you if you are found with illegal products in a foreign port. But of course they will not be the one going to jail

not everyone is that paranoid, why on earth would they board a ship and search people's medicine cabinets? I have never seen foreign police board a ship, in U.S. yes. I believe people making comments like this do not understand it's a cream or oil, like Icy Hot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, coevan said:

not everyone is that paranoid, why on earth would they board a ship and search people's medicine cabinets? I have never seen foreign police board a ship, in U.S. yes. I believe people making comments like this do not understand it's a cream or oil, like Icy Hot. 

because someone else on the ship had drugs and the search is being searched all over. You may not have had it happen but frequent cruisers have. Greatest possibility nothing would happen but are you volunteering to go and get them out of jail if something does happen. I guess probably not 

• Like 1

Per Carnival FAQ, CBD OIL or Hemp Oil is prohibited. Just because the State you live in approves its use doesn’t mean you will not be searched and allowed to bring it on. Texas currently prohibit the sale of CBD OIL. BTW, CBD Oil is produced from the hemp plant that is in the same family as marijuana. This hemp plant has very little THC that causes the high that marijuana produces.

13 minutes ago, Cruisin Dave said:

Texas currently prohibit the sale of CBD OIL.

you sure?  What probable cause would they have to search, none. 

Texas Legislature 2019. ... After a relatively short, amiable debate, the Texas Senate approved House Bill 1325 by state Rep. Tracy King. The bill would legalize hemp and hemp-derived extracts like CBD oil as long as they contain no more than 0.3% of tetrahydrocannabinol, the psychoactive element in marijuana known as THC

• Like 2

10 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Not a lecture, I'm not that versed on pros and cons, but from what I've read, even in pro CBD sites, is that nearly all hemp oil and CBD products, even those that claim to have "none", will have perhaps less than 1% of THC, and the DEA has stated that any amount of THC makes the product illegal under Federal law.  I don't believe that hemp products' status has been clarified under Bahamian or Panamanian (the two most common flag states for cruise ships) law, nor under IMO conventions.

Well, actually under the 2018 Farm Bill, which became law on January 1, 2019, CBD oil from hemp containing less than 0.3 THC is now legal under federal law, not just state law.

That being said, on a cruise you're also dealing with other countries' laws, in addition to international water. 

Always consult with an attorney, but might be safer to leave it at home, especially because not everyone seems to understand the specifics of the Farm Bill, and you wouldn't want to run into a Customs agent who isn't familiar with the new legalities.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1