Addo ELEPHANT RESERVE

Horsgrl

BEWARE of a tour guide named SORITA, in PORT ELIZABETH- ADDO ELEPHANT RESERVE. 

SHE LEFT US HIGH AND DRY...we confirmed with her several time— she seemed friendly, happy to guide us and sounded great- SHE ALWAYS ended her correspondences “blessings” .  Blessings indeed- she never showed up and ruined our day...watch out for her.  All the other guides knew her .....btw, We had found her on Tours by Locals......She is a BAD BAD unreliable person, stay away from her or she might do it to you too.

Edited by Horsgrl
Typo

On 5/20/2019 at 9:25 PM, Horsgrl said:

BEWARE of a tour guide named SORITA, in PORT ELIZABETH- ADDO ELEPHANT RESERVE. 

SHE LEFT US HIGH AND DRY...we confirmed with her several time— she seemed friendly, happy to guide us and sounded great- SHE ALWAYS ended her correspondences “blessings” .  Blessings indeed- she never showed up and ruined our day...watch out for her.  All the other guides knew her .....btw, We had found her on Tours by Locals......She is a BAD BAD unreliable person, stay away from her or she might do it to you too.

Thank you for the heads up as we just booked someone and not her thankfully!

2 hours ago, alidor said:

We found ADDO to be a downer especially after spending some time at a private game reserve.   Was disappointed in the park.

Problem, alidor, is that - like us - you have been spoilt by a full-blown and expensive safari over several days.

We visited Addo after safaris in both Kruger NP and a private reserve in Greater Kruger.

No, nowhere near as good - but for someone who is restricted to a single port-of-call day-trip I rate it well worthwhile as a taster.

Like taking a cruise on a budget ship. Not as good as Seaborn, which seems to be your favourite, but a whole lot better than never experiencing a cruise.

Just MHO as always

JB :classic_smile:

13 hours ago, John Bull said:

Problem, alidor, is that - like us - you have been spoilt by a full-blown and expensive safari over several days.

We visited Addo after safaris in both Kruger NP and a private reserve in Greater Kruger.

No, nowhere near as good - but for someone who is restricted to a single port-of-call day-trip I rate it well worthwhile as a taster.

It's an illustration of a bigger problem. Many people ask "Is a cruise a good way to see [country]?" Whatever country is being asked about, the answer is almost always "No".

I love cruising, but it is a dreadful way of trying to see the countries that the ship stops at. All you ever really get to do is to lightly graze a small part of somewhere near each port that your ship calls at.

Addo elephant reserve and a private game reserve are chalk and cheese - they are not a valid comparison. Addo is excellent but if you are expecting a full blown safari you will be sorely disappointed.

We are doing Addo before a Kruger so it will be an appetizer just like most cruises are so you can return somewhere you like for a main course.

We choose cruises that stay more than one day in port or overnight.

We have done overland Safaris and also Addo Park before we ever did Safaris and earlier this year after having done the Safaris.

What you see depends on various factors including the weather.

I still recommend it.

Keith

We did Addo with Alan Tours. They picked us up and returned us at port. Alan and his wife Angelika were great to deal with. We had previously  done a muli day safari at Inyati Game Reserve. Very different.

Mrs F.  - My husband and I are taking the Oceania Cape Town to Singapore in 2021 and was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing some of your tour companies you used for your cruise.  I think I saw you contributing to the 2020 cruise.

Thanks 

Lauren

Lauren,

Email  me at      marjim48@gmail.com.    happy to help.  I have been working on our photo album. Have so many that it will Need 3 volumes just finished volume 1...singapore to Zanzibar.    I know they took out a bunch of ports on the Feb 4, 2020 cruise. Let me know your ports.