First day-MDR-dress?

22 hours ago, Highpeaklad said:

I haven’t seen any reference to footwear in the dress code. 

I think your answer can be found in Celebrity’s Online Cruise Planner:  

FAQ: Onboard Dress Code.

Good luck.  Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

7 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

I think your answer can be found in Celebrity’s Online Cruise Planner:  

FAQ: Onboard Dress Code.

Good luck.  Enjoy your cruise.

The only thing it says is no flip flops. So I assume anything else goes - trainers,sandals etc. 

Edited by Highpeaklad

Celebrity responded to their passenger’s desire to wear whatever they like with food to match. Anyone who doesn’t understand that the decline in the quality of food has something to do with the “I don’t care” attitude of the passengers might want to give that a thought. Why should they provide the special “little things” to people who don’t care what anyone does?

It seems the major concern for most people on Celebrity today is how many drinks they can get. That’s fine if that’s what everyone wants but don’t be surprised when the rest isn’t as good as it used to be. Guess what, the quality of the drinks isn’t as good as it used to be either, but who cares?

27 minutes ago, Ma Bell said:

Celebrity responded to their passenger’s desire to wear whatever they like with food to match. Anyone who doesn’t understand that the decline in the quality of food has something to do with the “I don’t care” attitude of the passengers might want to give that a thought. Why should they provide the special “little things” to people who don’t care what anyone does?

If the food quality declines with lack of Formal Nights, then you’d  see it across all cruise lines, including the luxury lines.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, citronella said:

If the food quality declines with lack of Formal Nights, then you’d  see it across all cruise lines, including the luxury lines.

It's way beyond the lack of Formal Nights.

44 minutes ago, Ma Bell said:

It seems the major concern for most people on Celebrity today is how many drinks they can get. That’s fine if that’s what everyone wants but don’t be surprised when the rest isn’t as good as it used to be. Guess what, the quality of the drinks isn’t as good as it used to be either, but who cares?

Yup... attracting  bulk drinkers with the perk packages  was the beginning of the great decline in everything that was exceptional on X. 

And those perks are not as good as they used to be, but who cares?

Personally, I think that X changed their guidelines for dressing to match the younger affluent age group that they are courting who don’t particularly care for dressing up for anything. We’ve had a different experience however regarding the quality of the food, it's been excellent.

I will agree that many guests are interested in pursuing as many drinks as they can get, but imo, nothing’s changed, it's always been that way. 😉

Edited by C-Dragons

8 minutes ago, Ma Bell said:

It's way beyond the lack of Formal Nights.

If not Formal Nights, then what ? 

6 minutes ago, hcat said:

Yup... attracting  bulk drinkers with the perk packages  was the beginning of the great decline in everything that was exceptional on X. 

If you follow that reasoning through, then the luxury all-inclusive lines most attract a pile of lushes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, C-Dragons said:

Personally, I think that X changed their guidelines for dressing to match the younger affluent age group that they are courting who don’t particularly care for dressing up for anything. We’ve had a different experience however regarding the quality of the food, it's been excellent.

I will agree that many guests are interested in pursuing as many drinks as they can get, but imo, nothing’s changed, it's always been that way. 😉

Luminae, which I believe is your usual dining room,  has been from very good to inconsistent depending on the cruise and what they prepare in the other restaurants is OK but you can't really seriously tell me the quality of the ingredients is as good or plentiful as it used to be. The little extra touches are gone. The one area that is better is the buffet.

Have you seen many of those younger affluent people on your cruises? They must be hiding. The younger affluent people where we live actually do look nice when they dine in an upscale restaurant and I'm not talking about formal wear.

Edited by Ma Bell

1 hour ago, citronella said:

If not Formal Nights, then what ? 

If you follow that reasoning through, then the luxury all-inclusive lines most attract a pile of lushes.

Apples and Oranges. There's a lot more to luxury than free drinks.

Edited by Ma Bell

There is a great deal more to luxury than free drinks......as everyone knows. 

It’s possible Celebrity has lost its’ niche of being at or near the top of the mid mass market lines at one time. It’s become just one of the crowd. Happens to lots of restaurants, hotels, etc.  And when it happens, it seems the only solution, if you want a better product, is to move up to the premium or luxury lines. 

24 minutes ago, Ma Bell said:

Luminae, which I believe is your usual dining room,  has been from very good to inconsistent depending on the cruise and what they prepare in the other restaurants is OK but you can't really seriously tell me the quality of the ingredients is as good or plentiful as it used to be. The little extra touches are gone. The one area that is better is the buffet.

Have you seen many of those younger affluent people on your cruises? They must be hiding. The younger affluent people where we live actually do look nice when they dine in an upscale restaurant and I'm not talking about formal wear.

I can honestly say, from our personal experience, that yes, Luminae is actually better now than our first time dining there on the Summit in 2014. Of course inconsistencies do exist within the fleet, so one's experience can differ depending on the ship you sailing are on. In the last 6 months our last 2cruises were on the Edge, and the 4 before that were on Reflection. Imo, our experience in Luminae has been consistently very good, no downgrade in quality or quantity, and I didn’t notice any little touches missing. We do not eat in the buffet, so I will defer to you regarding that area. On one night on the Edge TA we ate in the Cypress dining room and the food was wonderful.

Yes, we saw many of the younger demographic on the Edge, they were definitely not hiding.

Sherry, I’m not talking about Luminae. It should be good for the price. I was on Eclipse in April and the food was better than our last Reflection cruise in October. There have been lots of changes on the MDR menus on recent years and many of their more expensive entrees have been downgraded and eliminated. 

With the advent of drink packages it’s not easy to get a glass of better wines any more. They just don’t seem to be available.

You’ve been around for a long time so I ‘m sure you understand what I’m saying in my comment. I could give lots of examples but serves no purpose.

As far as Edge, I’ll be trying it next May with my granddaughters in an aft Sky Suite and Sunset Veranda. The Edge is another case of should be good for the price they’re asking. I can see a lot of nice things about her but let’s face it they also made a lot of bad decisions with the design of the ship.

I’ve been a huge Celebrity supporter for many years but I’m not blind to recent blunders.

Edited by Ma Bell

26 minutes ago, Ma Bell said:

Sherry, I’m not talking about Luminae. It should be good for the price. I was on Eclipse in April and the food was better than our last Reflection cruise in October. There have been lots of changes on the MDR menus on recent years and many of their more expensive entrees have been downgraded and eliminated. 

With the advent of drink packages it’s not easy to get a glass of better wines any more. They just don’t seem to be available.

You’ve been around for a long time so I ‘m sure you understand what I’m saying in my comment. I could give lots of examples but serves no purpose.

As far as Edge, I’ll be trying it next May with my granddaughters in an aft Sky Suite and Sunset Veranda. The Edge is another case of should be good for the price they’re asking. I can see a lot of nice things about her but let’s face it they also made a lot of bad decisions with the design of the ship.

I’ve been a huge Celebrity supporter for many years but I’m not blind to recent blunders.

So sorry, Joanie, I did not understand you were talking about the MDR's. We haven’t eaten there in many years, so with the exception of the Cypress dining room on Edge, which was very good, I really cannot comment about any decline in the MDR's.

I hope you and your granddaughter enjoy the Edge.

1 hour ago, Ma Bell said:

Great choice of cabins...dining on EDGE is excellent!

5 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Not looking to argue but the demographic definitely changed with alc  packages as perks.. Affluent or not, .many from Carnival, NCL and some from Royal are not into looking chic! They prefef a more casual vibe... X is not that vibe   We thought ,EDGE demographics and dress was very classy and chic and young!  ( plus old too)

11 minutes ago, hcat said:

Not looking to argue but the demographic definitely changed with alc  packages as perks.. Affluent or not, .many from Carnival, NCL and some from Royal are not into looking chic!

My, my.......the poor souls moving from Carnival, NCL and Royal and not knowing how to dress ! 

And, pray tell - how are you so nattily attired ? How could we tell you apart from the other “demographic” during the day ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, dkjretired said:

Just want to throw in there that in case anyone hasn't noticed, nobody dresses up for anything anymore, weddings, funerals, restaurants. Just a general change in society.  Not saying I agree with it, just saying. 

Sad!

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

Just want to throw in there that in case anyone hasn't noticed, nobody dresses up for anything anymore, weddings, funerals, restaurants. Just a general change in society.  Not saying I agree with it, just saying. 

This is so true. I was in church recently, and it amazed me what most people were wearing ------ anything goes these days, few people seem to feel they should dress nicely to show respect. The nicer restaurants around here are a lot more casual in dress than they used to be, for better or worse. The world has changed, at least in respect to expected attire! But I don't really agree that Celebrity has declined because of this, it seems to me more of a business decision to cut back where they can while still filling their ships. 

5 minutes ago, cynbar said:

This is so true. I was in church recently, and it amazed me what most people were wearing ------ anything goes these days, few people seem to feel they should dress nicely to show respect. The nicer restaurants around here are a lot more casual in dress than they used to be, for better or worse. The world has changed, at least in respect to expected attire! But I don't really agree that Celebrity has declined because of this, it seems to me more of a business decision to cut back where they can while still filling their ships. 

It's definitely a business decision but it's easier to make if you have customers that don't care if you cut back.

So clueless that they don’t realize it’s been cut back. And really, with the amount of alcohol they imbibe, they wouldn’t know a filet from a fillet. Next it’ll be beans on toast to go with their Jack & Coke. And sad thing is they’ll think they’re having a grand time as they sit there in their flip flops and robes because............they just don’t know any better.

• Haha 2

Back to the OP question ... Husband has opted for shorts with a polo the first night a couple of times when our luggage has arrived later than expected and we haven't had time to unpack.  We always ask before entering the dining room, as we would be OK heading up to the buffet if a problem .. but, we have always been welcomed.  Our last cruise we were searching for our large suitcase, only to finally get a note advising it was being held..Husband went down to see what the problem was and they didn't like that we had a pair of sissors in our luggage .. Husband assured them we would not take them out of the room and our luggage was released...  but certainly not in time to unpack before dinner!

We began sailing celebrity in 2005 .. there were many small touches that aren't there today, such as lemon ice being served at the pool around 3 pm each day, along with an offer of a cold towel...and many other nice little touches like that have disappeared .. I don't think it has anything to do with the dress of their passengers...but their efforts to try and keep pricing under control.  We noticed the same issues on princess as well.  We are thrilled we are no longer required to dress formally, we stopped doing it years ago, and just went to the buffet on formal nights .. but with the new rules everyone can be happy and enjoy their evening throughout the ship.  

Yes, most people have the drink packages, but I really can't recall seeing any passengers who were out of control .. ture, we are generally back in our cabin by 11 PM .. maybe there are more rowdy crowds later . but not that we have witnessed.  I do agree with a previous poster than it is difficult to get a better wine in the dining room .. I do think the drink packages have put too much stress on the wine and drink servers ...simple solution would be to add more staff....but I don't see that happenning any time soon!

On Holland America years ago our day on shore was long and we were tired .. we opted out of formal night for the buffet..on the way to the buffet we had a couple tell us how rude we were to dare to be out of our cabin dressed like we were (we were clean, in shorts, polo etc)  When I said we were headed to the buffet, she told us even in the buffet we should be dressed formally .. some people think the ship belongs to them, how they wish it to be .. the new rules allow all of us to relax and enjoy OUR WAY.  

Enjoy your cruise ... I'm sure your luggage will arrive on time ..but if not, don't sweat wearing shorts if that's all you have available for the evening

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Ma Bell said:

You know, I've mulled this over for a couple hours now and I'm no closer to appreciating how one draws a correlation among jeans, cuisine and liquor. To suggest that people who love martinis but hate ties and little black dresses will somehow be happy with Cracker Barrel quality "cuisine" is beyond preposterous. But then what do I care? 🙄

Edited by wpgcycler
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1