Miami taxes while in port

dorts

Hi...first time departing from Miami as only ever sailed the Mediterranean before. Curious if the premium drinks package incurs sales tax when waiting to depart? If so how long after and how much is the tax as we don't depart until 7pm.

Also will this be added on to any other purchases on the first day such as specialty restaurant reservations etc?

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Maybe someone other than me can confirm, but I don't see how they can tax since there isn't a per drink charge under the premium plan.  From personal experience, we've sailed YC from Miami and never got charged, even when we ventured out to the Champagne Bar before we left port.  It would be hard to tax  8-10 % on a bill of $0.  Now, if you were having to pay, they would tax you until you got into international waters.  Come to think of it, a few years ago we were on Carnival and had the Cheers program (free drinks up to a limit), and there was no tax or bill there either.

You would have the MSC standard 15% surcharge on any other purchases made, but I don't think a sales tax would be added.  Someone with specific experience on that would have to chime in.

Edited by JAGR

I do not recall checking when we were last on the Seaside, but on every other cruise, there was sales tax applied to all drinks served in the Port of Miami (until in international waters). All drinks are logged, time stamped, and all have a value associated with them (even if it is "included"). These charges are largely inconsequential (70ish cents on a $10 drink), but they are there. This is not a cruise line decision, but rather the state of Florida (or Dade County). 

47 minutes ago, jcathers1 said:

I do not recall checking when we were last on the Seaside, but on every other cruise, there was sales tax applied to all drinks served in the Port of Miami (until in international waters). All drinks are logged, time stamped, and all have a value associated with them (even if it is "included"). These charges are largely inconsequential (70ish cents on a $10 drink), but they are there. This is not a cruise line decision, but rather the state of Florida (or Dade County). 

May not be that way with MSC at all.  Double checked my final bills, and no tax charges show.  Friends that were in Aurea three weeks ago had no tax surcharges as well.   

1 hour ago, JAGR said:

May not be that way with MSC at all.  Double checked my final bills, and no tax charges show.  Friends that were in Aurea three weeks ago had no tax surcharges as well.   

Hmmm. That is very strange. Were you in the YC? I ask because on NCL in the Haven, we were required to swipe our card for any drinks, even at the Haven bar. On MSC, we were not required to do that in the YC area (therefore there is no traceability). Perhaps it is different for folks outside of the YC?

Here's a thread from the Princess boards describing the 7% Florida sales tax that applies to beverage purchases in port:

We've done six sailings with MSC out of Miami and never were charged Miami sales tax on drinks, and that's with several packages from vouchers to YC.  NCL has charged it.  Some cruise lines cover the expense and some don't.

ETA: I've never heard about if you are paying  à la carte for drinks.

Edited by Até

4 minutes ago, jcathers1 said:

Hmmm. That is very strange. Were you in the YC? I ask because on NCL in the Haven, we were required to swipe our card for any drinks, even at the Haven bar. On MSC, we were not required to do that in the YC area (therefore there is no traceability). Perhaps it is different for folks outside of the YC?

Yes.  I noted earlier that we were YC.  However, I also noted that we were in the Champagne Bar prior to leaving Miami and there was no charge. The same last March in the Seaview Lounge.  I can't disagree that the tax is imposed on other cruise lines, but I can say it didn't happen on MSC.  At any rate, it's really a small problem if you are charged the tax.

9 minutes ago, jcathers1 said:

Here's a thread from the Princess boards describing the 7% Florida sales tax that applies to beverage purchases in port:

Thats because they didn't have the drinks package once you have your cards and if you are not in the YC it will be swiped but you will not pay any tax if you have the drinks package

Edited by Epos Man

It is cruise line dependent.  Some lines will not process the drink charge until the ship is outside the 3 mile limit, others will program the POS registers to charge tax on the listed price of the drink, and debit out the price, until outside 3 miles.