PARKING at port in Miami

I don't normally use port parking except when I cruise out of Miami.  The place is a mecca for car thieves.  We took the Magic out of Miami a few months ago and used port parking and it was extremely easy...just walked across the street and there was a porter there to take care of your bags.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Yayaof4andlovinit said:

We are cruising on Carnivals Horizon out of Miami. Trying to decide if parking at pier in front of ship for $22 a day is worth the convince or should we park at a nearby place for $8 a day then have to shuttle back and forth. Help please!

Every local who posts on the boards will state every time to park at the port in Miami.

I tend to trust the people who live and work there...😁😁

1 hour ago, susyg said:

I just sent money to a safe cruise parking place. Is my car going to be stolen?

Based upon what are you calling it a "safe cruise parking place"?

How are we going to be able to predict if your car is going to be stolen?

The reason that I am choosing the Miami Port at the cruise terminal is strictly for convince. It cost $22 per day but garage is in the cruise terminal.

However, Premier cruise parking is $6.95 plus tax per day and is 1-1/2 miles from ship which actually is 15-20 min on the free shuttle (up to 4 people). 

It is a covered garage too. 

I was told sometimes you wait 30 mins. for the shuttle and then the drive. I believe this place is safe and you save $$$.

Just depends on which you prefer.

16 hours ago, susyg said:

I just sent money to a safe cruise parking place. Is my car going to be stolen?

No. 

I live and work in Miami. Lived in Downtown Miami, where the port is located for 4 years and continue to work in Downtown. Parking here is fine, I've been parking a car in garages and on the streets of Downtown Miami 24/7 for over 10-years now. Have yet to have an issue. 

That being said, most cruise parking places are not located in Downtown Miami. Also, you need to deal with unreliable shuttles, long lines and horrible customer service. That is why I say park in the port. It is more of a don't let your trip start and end in such a terrible frustrating way then it is safety. You car will be safer in the port parking lot, that is for sure. But it is just so easy to park at the port too. And I read and then even see on the streets all the people have issues with cheaper off site port parking. 

What about the hotels that offer park and cruise options?  I have the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon with parking booked (because at present I am having a heck of a time finding decent flights so considering driving). I thought maybe parking at the hotel and taking the hotel shuttle would be fine and save a few bucks... I've taken the shuttle from this hotel before without issue but never have left a car or had to worry about catching a shuttle back to the hotel after the cruise... any opinions from the locals on this option?

6 hours ago, TexasPirate said:

What about the hotels that offer park and cruise options?  I have the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon with parking booked (because at present I am having a heck of a time finding decent flights so considering driving). I thought maybe parking at the hotel and taking the hotel shuttle would be fine and save a few bucks... I've taken the shuttle from this hotel before without issue but never have left a car or had to worry about catching a shuttle back to the hotel after the cruise... any opinions from the locals on this option?

From what I have read here and on the Hampton Inn website (http://www.hamptoninnmiamiairport.com/landing/landing/lp8.php), the hotel shuttle is to the port only.  You will need to take a cab, uber or lyft back to your car.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TexasPirate said:

The location is better than many other airport hotels, with a nearby strip mall for dining and shopping options. You will need your own transportation back to your car, so plan on a$30+ cab or about $20 for Uber.

You might consider staying cheap outside of South Florida and then driving the last couple of hours to the port the morning of your cruise. We have been on the road early from Orlando and have been checked in an on board before noon. What you save on the hotel helps pay for parking at POM and you will be on your way home a lot sooner.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 5:16 AM, capriccio said:

From what I have read here and on the Hampton Inn website (http://www.hamptoninnmiamiairport.com/landing/landing/lp8.php), the hotel shuttle is to the port only.  You will need to take a cab, uber or lyft back to your car.

On 6/5/2019 at 6:40 AM, JohninDC said:

The location is better than many other airport hotels, with a nearby strip mall for dining and shopping options. You will need your own transportation back to your car, so plan on a$30+ cab or about $20 for Uber.

You might consider staying cheap outside of South Florida and then driving the last couple of hours to the port the morning of your cruise. We have been on the road early from Orlando and have been checked in an on board before noon. What you save on the hotel helps pay for parking at POM and you will be on your way home a lot sooner.

Thanks to you both - Those are very valid points!  I will look into hotels a little farther north and just parking at the port.  Having to pay for a cab or uber brings the savings down considerably since there will be 7 of us plus luggage that is almost certainly 2 taxis or Ubers.   Much better to stay a little farther out for less and park at the port.

We are cruising out of Miami on the Horizion;  hotels are $$ in Feb.

Did find the "Redroof Inn" with parking for $139.00  transportation to the pier only.

My question is I know you get what you pay for...  but again I don't want to pay $300 

a night either

Thanks

Coming from Daytona Beach you could get an EARLY start and drive straight to PIN and avoid any hotel stay.  Or stay a couple of hours north (West Palm or so), where hotel prices are more reasonable ( compared to Miami), and then drive to POM.

Don't try to save money parking off site in Miami.....as everyone else has said, it's worth parking at the port for the safety and convenience.  We lived in Miami for the past umpteen years and would never consider anything else and we took a lot of cruises out of Miami and Port Everglades.  I worked downtown and took Metrorail to work every day so I wouldn't have to worry about my car (although my car was broken into at the South Miami Metrorail station if I was to be perfectly honest).  

On 5/29/2019 at 7:29 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Based upon what are you calling it a "safe cruise parking place"?

How are we going to be able to predict if your car is going to be stolen?

I might be mistaken, I believe this place require you to leave the your car keys with them.  We had look into this place after notice of this we decided just park at the port.

You do not want to leave your car and keys at a parking lot in Overtown, Liberty City, etc (which is where most of the offsite parking is).  POM is the way to go.  Every time I cruise I drive down from North Broward County and park there.  Have never had any issues.