Wine question

tigger54

2 minutes ago, tigger54 said:

Can my husband and I each bring a bottle of wine on board like we can on Carnival. Will they automatically charge a corkage fee?

One 750ml bottle of wine per adult for consumption in your cabin without a corkage fee.  Additional bottles incur a $15 per bottle corkage fee and can be consumed in dining rooms, specialty restaurants, and lounges.

10 minutes ago, tigger54 said:

Can my husband and I each bring a bottle of wine on board like we can on Carnival. Will they automatically charge a corkage fee?

Yes, but no corkage fee is charged when you board.  You are supposed to be charged if/when you bring either of those bottles unopened to a bar or dining venue.  If you bring a partially consumed bottle to dinner, there is no corkage each time - just when first opened.  

You can bring on as many additional bottles as you like.  You will likely have a chit written up in the check-in area for each bottle over the two free ones.  The corkage is $15 USD per bottle (posted to your shipboard account).  When you bring any of those to a DR or bar, you will not pay any additional fee. 

Bottles that you bring to the ship and are charged corkage in the check-in area at the pier are marked with a sticker so when you bring to the DR, your waiter knows the corkage fee has already been paid.  Stickerless bottles are subject to the fee.

Edited by steelers36

15 hours ago, steelers36 said:

You can bring on as many additional bottles as you like.  You will likely have a chit written up in the check-in area for each bottle over the two free ones.  The corkage is $15 USD per bottle (posted to your shipboard account).  When you bring any of those to a DR or bar, you will not pay any additional fee. 

Bottles that you bring to the ship and are charged corkage in the check-in area at the pier are marked with a sticker so when you bring to the DR, your waiter knows the corkage fee has already been paid.  Stickerless bottles are subject to the fee.

When we boarded the Royal Princess, we were given a chit for the 6 additional bottles we brought on board as well as 6 stickers. We were free to place the stickers on whatever bottles we wanted when we got to our stateroom.

I suggest you place the sticker just above the label of the bottle, so it is easy for the MDR waiters to spot. One friend placed their sticker on top of the cork and were almost charged the corkage fee (a second time), because the waiter did not see it when opening the bottle.

• Like 1

We have boarded before and the person manning the table did not have any stickers.  We always bring additional bottles, so I paid the corkage fee and had her give me a hard copy of a receipt.  I took the receipt to dinner the first night (we do Traditional dining) and showed my waiter the receipt and explained they had no stickers, but we would be bringing a bottle every night to dinner. Otherwise, I was afraid we would be charged twice.  It worked out fine, but without the receipt I have a feeling it could have been an issue.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, richmke said:

Can I bring a bottle of Sake for my free bottle allowance?

While not a fortified wine, sake does normally have a higher alcohol content than traditional grape wines. The question remains. Also, isn't sake served warm? How will you heat it?

Sake is not wine--no technicality about it.

Wines are made from fermented grapes.

Beers are made from fermented grains.  Sake, being made from fermented rice, is a beer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, skynight said:

While not a fortified wine, sake does normally have a higher alcohol content than traditional grape wines. The question remains. Also, isn't sake served warm? How will you heat it?

While Sake has higher alcohol that MOST wines, it does rival the alcohol in some wines. The alcohol content is determined by the yeast and the sugar content in the original grapes. Some grapes have high sugar content.

Some sake is served warm, and some chilled.

Sake is sometimes called Rice Wine. Wine is made from Fruit (i.e. blackberry wine), and most of that it is from grapes.. It doesn't have to be grapes. Rice is technically a fruit.

• Haha 1