New York Times Article today (5/28/19) - Peter Max - art fraud on the high seas

WyomingGuys

4 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

If HAL or Windstar custom made a piece of jewelry for you any custom shop can. They are all over the US and Caribbean and the rest of the world. Do you honestly thing they are the only two places you can get custom made pieces?

Yes I do. I spoke to the owner of the company that makes the jewelry. It is 100% the only way they will Work with you. You cannot buy one any other way. If you could, I wouldn’t want it. You clearly don’t know what you are talking about. The cruise lines don’t make the jewelry, they sell the product which is made and customized for you and then sent to your house. It’s a work of art. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, cruisencrazy said:

Yes I do. I spoke to the owner of the company that makes the jewelry. It is 100% the only way they will Work with you. You cannot buy one any other way. If you could, I wouldn’t want it. You clearly don’t know what you are talking about. The cruise lines don’t make the jewelry, they sell the product which is made and customized for you and then sent to your house. It’s a work of art. 

I can walk into a jewelry shop that does custom designs, hand them a drawing I did and they can make me whatever I want. Custom Jewelry is not exclusive to HAL Or Windstar LOL

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

I can walk into a jewelry shop that does custom designs, hand them a drawing I did and they can make me whatever I want. Custom Jewelry is not exclusive to HAL Or Windstar LOL

You are wrong. Tried that. Nobody can do it. AND you have no idea what you’re talking about. PLUS why do you care?  Way more important things to discuss. 

• Haha 1

On 5/29/2019 at 9:31 AM, ColeThornton said:

So Peter Max didn't actually paint the Breakaway's hull art by himself?

That's a very good question.  We may never know.  I do recall Gambee being on the Breakaway's first cruise from NYC and he ran into Peter Max.  Gambee got offended because he said hi to Peter or something and Peter would not acknowledge him.  But now this may make more sense knowing his condition at the time.  I would bet no way an artist could paint the hull of a giant ship.  He/she could design it but it takes professional equipment to paint it.  However, I do recall NCL did state or allege it was painted by Peter.  But then again,  my memory could be wrong and they stated it was designed by him.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2019 at 9:31 AM, ColeThornton said:

So Peter Max didn't actually paint the Breakaway's hull art by himself?

I saw this post yesterday and just assumed it was tongue-in-cheek...

NO...neither Peter Max, or any other artist, paints the artwork on the ship. 

The artist does the work on paper to upload to a computer, or they can work directly into the computer. The computer plots it out to scale and the actual painting is done by shipyard workers.

maxship6.jpg.0e0dfb375c09c10efbb6bbdaf6397b31.jpg

0f9853fe4a5892fe66a5df61b84793bc--family-cruise-cruise-vacation.jpg.b23144a33b43c63af4900ba1216f17a3.jpg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, SeaShark said:

I saw this post yesterday and just assumed it was tongue-in-cheek...

NO...neither Peter Max, or any other artist, paints the artwork on the ship. 

The artist does the work on paper to upload to a computer, or they can work directly into the computer. The computer plots it out to scale and the actual painting is done by shipyard workers.

My comment was definitely an attempt at humor.  🙂

• Haha 1

Free champagne, free works of art, free raffles, lectures on art.  These are the only reasons to attend said auctions unless you buy into the sales pitches as entertainment.  They offered me a free work of art if I applied for their credit card.  They approved me for $16,000 without seeing any form of ID except my sea ticket.  It was a joy to cut it up with scissors when I received it a week later in the mail

41 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

My comment was definitely an attempt at humor.  🙂

As I pointed out, I assumed that this was the case. However, the person who quoted and responded to you in Post #29 didn't seem to get that it was a humorous comment...

On 5/29/2019 at 1:24 PM, cruisencrazy said:

You are wrong. Tried that. Nobody can do it. AND you have no idea what you’re talking about. PLUS why do you care?  Way more important things to discuss. 

My late FIL was a jeweler and his shop made many custom pieces (including a jeweled bat neck charm for Bela Lugosi). Other stores would send their requests to him all the time.

• Like 1

I bought a print from Park West on one cruise & it quadrupled in value within 6 weeks.

I paid $35, but then had to pay an additional $35 for shipping & an appraisal fee. So now it's up to $70. Once I got the print in the mail, I had to pay to get it framed. I chose a simple metal frame that cost $80. So the way I figure it, it's now worth $150.

• Haha 2

My jeweler can do custom designs and even help me plan the design I have in mind (which in and of itself is a feat, given I can't even draw a "stick man").  Been using him for years and now has his sons and daughters working in his store/shop.

I think most jewelers worth their salt can and will create custom jewelry to a customer's specifications.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tempus137 said:

My late FIL was a jeweler and his shop made many custom pieces (including a jeweled bat neck charm for Bela Lugosi). Other stores would send their requests to him all the time.

My custom jewelry is a world globe with diamond emeralds and rubies and sapphires. It spins and is extremely heavy gold. They are the only company that makes 3 dimensional globe jewelry. Every jewelry shop anywhere in the world, that I walk into wants to see my necklace. This is really a stupid discussion to be having. My point was, if someone wants to buy jewelry on a cruise ship, it’s nobody’s business. Some jewelry is art. The whole point of the post is to let people know that Park West has issues. 

20 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

My jeweler can do custom designs and even help me plan the design I have in mind (which in and of itself is a feat, given I can't even draw a "stick man").  Been using him for years and now has his sons and daughters working in his store/shop.

I think most jewelers worth their salt can and will create custom jewelry to a customer's specifications.

No Way! Only HAL and Windstar can do custom jewelry LOL

On 5/29/2019 at 9:20 AM, graphicguy said:

Park West handles the art auctions on ALL mainstream cruise ship lines.  Park West has a sordid past when it comes to selling art.  A little internet sleuthing will turn up all sorts of stories from the Royal Caribbean, Carnival and NCL auctions.  

I know the cruise lines get a cut of the proceeds, but I’m not certain the auctions are actually run by cruiselines, themselves.  Maybe a situation where PArk West only leases space on the cruise ships, and fills it with their own employees.  In return, the cruise lines make some sort of commission.

Regarding jewelry, I have no issues with their jewelry sales on board.  Sometimes, you can find a decent deal on a piece.  But, I caution everyone who asks me, “buy jewelry to remember your cruise or to give to a loved one who was on the cruise with you.  Don’t buy because it’s a bargain.  Likely, prices are in line with land based jewelry stores (but you save the tax by buying on the ship).  

I buy jewelry, quite a bit over the years.  It’s next to impossible to give the stones you buy a rating (and no, a jeweler’s glass won’t help you, except to show imperfections, not the rating).  Of course, if you’re a gemologist, you can buy gems wholesale, in which case, none of the pricing matters.

I don’t think you can do any better or worse by buying jewelry on a ship than you can on a land based store.

Watches are something I do know a lot more about.  Again, if you have a trusted jeweler that you do business with, you’ll likely be able to get a good deal on something like a Tag (which cruise ships tend to really push in their jewelry dept) that you can have serviced on land. 

Park West.....even I get a little insulted by their tactics, and rarely go their auctions.  I think I’ve attended exactly one on board in the decades I’ve cruised.

Peter Max....how sleazy of his family and Park West for fostering this sort of sham.

Holland America kicked Park West to the curb more than a year ago. Several,lines are in the process. 

1 hour ago, sppunk said:

Holland America kicked Park West to the curb more than a year ago. Several,lines are in the process. 

My own opinion is that Park West should be put out of business.  It's time for heaven's sake.