Beach with snorkeling right there ???

ehge80

I have a question for anyone who has been to Roatan before.  We want a beach day with snorkeling possible from the beach itself. I think we're going to hire a driver for the day to take us a few other places as well.  That company mentioned taking us to a beach in French Harbor.

All the grand reviews I see for beach/snorkel say West End.  Has anybody been to French Harbor beaches?  Are they as nice?  

I really want our friends to have the best beach possible.  We go to beaches all the time.  They do not. Thanks for any input you can give. 

Which ship are you on? Which port?

West End and West Bay (where most cruisers shore snorkel and where the "scenic" beach everyone raves about is located, are close to Coxen Hole.  French Harbor is closer to Mahogany Bay.  There are some nice beaches in developments up that way but I believe the better snorkeling is off shore.

Several beach clubs in West Bay offer day passes with transportation if you arrange in advance. Cheaper than ship excursions.  Look up Beachers, Bananarama, Paradise Beach, Infinity Bay.

16 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Which ship are you on? Which port?

West End and West Bay (where most cruisers shore snorkel and where the "scenic" beach everyone raves about is located, are close to Coxen Hole.  French Harbor is closer to Mahogany Bay.  There are some nice beaches in developments up that way but I believe the better snorkeling is off shore.

Several beach clubs in West Bay offer day passes with transportation if you arrange in advance. Cheaper than ship excursions.  Look up Beachers, Bananarama, Paradise Beach, Infinity Bay.

We'll be on the Carnival Legend in Mahogany Bay.  I will look up your suggestions.  Thank you!  It's only my husband and myself that want to snorkel and we have an off shore snorkel excursion booked for Belize.  One friend is coming all the way from Seattle so I want her to see the best possible clear waters.  

French Harbor is on the windward side of the island so depending on whether you may be fighting waves to snorkel. I don't know of any nice beaches other than Little French Key in that area and I would not under any circumstance offer my hard earned dollars to them. 

I have snorkeled a fair amount of the waters around the island. I truly believe the best snorkeling is done within the Roatan Marine Park which runs one end of Sandy Bay to the other end of West Bay.  West Bay may be a bit over loved but it is still good snorkeling. Or if you wish to be in the water with mostly just your party, hire a boat to take you to the lesser known spots in Sandy Bay. 

This thread has heaps of info about West Bay. 

Edited by Guest 2000

19 hours ago, Guest 2000 said:

French Harbor is on the windward side of the island so depending on whether you may be fighting waves to snorkel. I don't know of any nice beaches other than Little French Key in that area and I would not under any circumstance offer my hard earned dollars to them. 

I have snorkeled a fair amount of the waters around the island. I truly believe the best snorkeling is done within the Roatan Marine Park which runs one end of Sandy Bay to the other end of West Bay.  West Bay may be a bit over loved but it is still good snorkeling. Or if you wish to be in the water with mostly just your party, hire a boat to take you to the lesser known spots in Sandy Bay. 

This thread has heaps of info about West Bay. 

Wow!  Thanks for your thoughts and that link.  Both are very helpful!  

Do the Tabyana Beach excursion thru your ship.  Transports you to that beach area, snorkeling there looks amazing.  Primo beach on the island.  That is what my son and I are doing this next Sept... his first time to Roatan, my zillionth time.  Gotta show him why we love Roatan so much.

1 hour ago, ABQrobin said:

Do the Tabyana Beach excursion thru your ship.  Transports you to that beach area, snorkeling there looks amazing.  Primo beach on the island.  That is what my son and I are doing this next Sept... his first time to Roatan, my zillionth time.  Gotta show him why we love Roatan so much.

1 hour ago, ABQrobin said:

Thanks. Will look into it. 

On 6/4/2019 at 4:30 PM, ABQrobin said:

Also, do a search on YouTube for Tabyana beach.... lots of nice videos and some have snorkeling footage.  Looks fantastic.

Tabayana is the resort owned/leased by Carnival.  It is on West Bay like all the rest (Bananarama, Infinity, Paradise, etc), dont let them fool you.

Since we've hired a driver already, I'll just let him decide what suits our needs.  I'm sure he knows what's what on the island.  He lives there!  Thank for the replies! 

31 minutes ago, bstel said:

Tabayana is the resort owned/leased by Carnival.  It is on West Bay like all the rest (Bananarama, Infinity, Paradise, etc), dont let them fool you.

Don't let them fool you?  What are you accusing me of? 

The OP was just asking for a beach with snorkeling, first time to Roatan, and I was telling them of an inexpensive choice.  

ehge80 - your driver can take you to West Bay, but you are still going to have to pay a fee to use facilities and chairs at any of the clubs/resorts there.  

3 hours ago, bstel said:

Don’t let who fool you - I am not understanding your statement.

I am not particularly keen on West Bay so haven’t spent much time there, however, as far as I know most the cruise lines use Tabayana. I don't believe it is owned by Carnival just that the owners only contract WITH the cruise lines so you cannot visit independently on a cruise ship day. Anyone can swim in front of there but you cannot use their facilities.

I am sure someone will correct me if this is wrong.

As Robin says there are lots of other facilities that you can stop at and pay to use the facilities ( tables, chairs, loungers restrooms) or if you don’t need anything you can use the beach and ocean for free.

5 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

Don't let them fool you?  What are you accusing me of? 

im not accusing you of anything, i think my comment wasnt clear.  I meant don't let the cruise lines fool you with the Tabayana Beach.  There is no Tabayana beach, its all West Bay