AFT balcony or Mini Suite w/large balcony

Trying to decide on whether to book an AFT balcony (which I always wanted to try, love breakfast on the balcony) or a ms w/ large balcony & hoping some of the seasoned CC'ers can help me out.

There will be 4 of us in a cabin - crazy I know but it is what it is -  so wondering if an MS cabin is any bigger than a regular, enough o make a difference, or should I just go for the aft I want & deal with the cramped space I know it will be 🙄

I always appreciate all the help I get on this site, so thanks to you all!

Both are amazing, and both will be cramped with 4 people. The MS bath is slightly larger but the room is basically the same. The only downside with the aft is the long walk from the elevator. But ooohhhhhh that view is so worth it. 

I choose aft balconies as a rule, but for me those mini suites with large balconies trump them.

As well as having the huge balcony, they are a lot closer to the 678 decks. Probably my favourite category on any NCL ship.

2 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

I choose aft balconies as a rule, but for me those mini suites with large balconies trump them.

As well as having the huge balcony, they are a lot closer to the 678 decks. Probably my favourite category on any NCL ship.

Really? Interesting... besides being closer to 678 do you find the cabin size any different? My first choice is a large balcony to be honest, really like sitting out there in the mornings having breakfast

2 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Ship?

Booked the Encore - taking a chance on a new ship, details unknown, because it is leaving from NY at the time I want to travel (May 2020)

1 hour ago, worktocruise610 said:

My first choice is a large balcony to be honest, really like sitting out there in the mornings having breakfast

Booked the Encore - taking a chance on a new ship, details unknown, because it is leaving from NY at the time I want to travel (May 2020)

On Encore, aft-facing balcony depth differs by deck. There are also differences in balcony width. There are also differences in stateroom layout (bed near balcony or bed near closet).

Deck 9 aft-facing balconies are the deepest followed by deck 12. Deck 13 is the least deep. 

The M6 balconies can be larger but they offer less privacy from above.

27 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

On Encore, aft-facing balcony depth differs by deck. There are also differences in balcony width. There are also differences in stateroom layout (bed near balcony or bed near closet).

Deck 9 aft-facing balconies are the deepest followed by deck 12. Deck 13 is the least deep. 

The M6 balconies can be larger but they offer less privacy from above.

Thanks for that info, didn't know that! Will definitely look at deck 9 then 🙂 

50 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

OP made a typo. It's for 3 (see post #4).

Sorry, I missed that correction.

For three people, I would still recommend a Mini with large balcony.   The larger bathroom will be worth it!

It's also nice on Deck 8 that you can easily walk down to Decks 6 & 7.    Either way, (Aft or Mini w/Lg) the larger balconies are great and will help give you more space for three.   Enjoy your cruise😎

• Like 1

I’ve not seen all the balcony sizes on the aft, but I’d be surprised if any are much bigger than the M6’s.

To answer a question to me above, I am not particularly bothered about the internal differences between these rooms, as they are all very similar. We sail as a three and don’t have a problem whether we are in a balcony or mini suite. We usually book balconies over mini suites as they are cheaper. The two main things which impact my cabin choice are location, balcony size and view.

On older ships this means an aft room

is usually our preference, as they win on most of those. However, on the ships since the Breakaway, location and balcony size wins out for the M6 even if the views aren’t quite as good.

if depends a bit on where the cruise is. Generally, our cruises on the larger ships have been either transatlantics or the Caribbean and view isn’t all that relevant there anyway. We first booked an aft when we were sailing around the Greek islands, and that view was spectacular at times.

Here is the M6 balcony on the Getaway, to give an idea of size.

37ECEE4F-7E87-469E-90DE-465B943FFD04.jpeg

21 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

I’ve not seen all the balcony sizes on the aft, but I’d be surprised if any are much bigger than the M6’s.

For the BA Plus ships, the M6 is deeper than the deepest B1. For BA/GA, the deeper B1s such as deck 9 and 12 are deeper than the M6s. 

P1030573.JPG

^^ BA/GA deck 9 B1

^^ BA Plus deck 9 B1

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

For the BA Plus ships, the M6 is deeper than the deepest B1. For BA/GA, the deeper B1s such as deck 9 and 12 are deeper than the M6s. 

P1030573.JPG

^^ BA/GA deck 9 B1

^^ BA Plus deck 9 B1

Thanks, that's interesting.

It doesn't surprise me that it is a bit bigger, but it doesn't look like there is much in it.

It does demonstrate how much these things are personal preference. Lots of people don't like the fact that the M6 can be overlooked, which doesn't bother me in the slightest. I think that the B1 picture above all looks a bit enclosed for me, but others would see the privacy as a benefit.

The best way to tell which is best is to try it. My advice to the OP is to book two cruises and have a go in each one. 🙂

Edited by KeithJenner

38 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Lots of people don't like the fact that the M6 can be overlooked, which doesn't bother me in the slightest. I think that the B1 picture above all looks a bit enclosed for me, but others would see the privacy as a benefit

Deck 9 (on BA/GA) is the most "tunnel-like". There is plenty that is open to above if you're by the rail and there can still be plenty of sun especially if the ship & sun are at the right angle. Deck 12 is a good balance.

For the OP...

Even though most of the Encore M6 balcony is visible from above, there is still a covered percentage that is about as deep as the B6 balcony above it.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

Great pictures and video! 

It reminds me that we enjoyed a B6 Large Balcony on the Getaway.  A little smaller balcony than the M6, but larger than many of the Aft B1 balconies (depending on deck) and over twice the size of normal balconies. 

The B6 are one deck up from the M6s and overlook them.     Our 70 sq ft B6 had two loungers, two chairs and the larger table you see in one of the pictures above.   I'm actually wondering if that one picture is a B6?  Looks like the right size.   Pricing is a  great deal for the extra 70 square feet you get on that balcony.  Very nice!

17 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

Great pictures and video! 

It reminds me that we enjoyed a B6 Large Balcony on the Getaway.  A little smaller balcony than the M6, but larger than many of the Aft B1 balconies (depending on deck) and over twice the size of normal balconies. 

The B6 are one deck up from the M6s and overlook them.     Our 70 sq ft B6 had two loungers, two chairs and the larger table you see in one of the pictures above.   I'm actually wondering if that one picture is a B6?  Looks like the right size.   Pricing is a  great deal for the extra 70 square feet you get on that balcony.  Very nice!

My picture was certainly a M6. The photo doesn’t show quite how large it is though. The loungers were pushed forward quite a way which I think makes it look smaller.

3 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

My picture was certainly a M6. The photo doesn’t show quite how large it is though. The loungers were pushed forward quite a way which I think makes it look smaller.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply any error on your part.  It just reminds me of the nice sized B6 we enjoyed.   

I guess it just points out to me that any B6 or M6 has a balcony large enough to enjoy two loungers, two chairs and that larger table that is great for sharing a nice breakfast at sea.    For the $$, a B6 is a great deal.  But I do love that Mini's larger bathroom!

Thank you all so much for your thoughts, I knew you guys would come thru 😉 

And thanks for the pics it certainly makes it easier to understand 

I think I'm going to go with the M6, the larger balcony is really what I'm after (there are no B1 w/ large balcony available) 

And as Keith suggested, I'll book the M6 now & the aft the next one & compare the 2 for future reference 😉 

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the help I get on this site 

Here's a very old photo of Breakaway that shows the standard, B6, and M6 balconies (look above the sun on the hull art)...

8681998977-7b85d779fe-k-Copy.jpg

...very limited furniture on them so I know that it is really old. 

For the BA Plus ships, here's a photo showing the view from above...

IMG-1272-Copy.jpg

...which also shows the lack of privacy from above. 

EDIT

Pics showing on PC but not phone. Will resubmit

Edited by Two Wheels Only

57 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

Sorry, didn't mean to imply any error on your part.  It just reminds me of the nice sized B6 we enjoyed.   

I guess it just points out to me that any B6 or M6 has a balcony large enough to enjoy two loungers, two chairs and that larger table that is great for sharing a nice breakfast at sea.    For the $$, a B6 is a great deal.  But I do love that Mini's larger bathroom!

No worries. I was just clarifying.

I have only been in a B6 once, which was on the Escape. It was actually smaller than I was expecting, and I wonder whether they are smaller than on the Breakaway/Getaway. The pictures that Two Wheels Only posted above suggest that maybe they are as I'm quite sure that more of the M6 is covered on the Breakaway/Getaway than the second picture shows is the case for the BA+

Here is the B6 on the Escape:

IMG_1337.thumb.jpg.38b7aa556bcefb6af03823fd63ddc324.jpg