Sewage Smell on the Sky

pinkie60

I just read a review of OP who was on deck 10 in an inside who was complaining about the sewage smell on the Sky. I am scheduled to sail on her in July. HAs anyone had that problem recently on the Sky. My cabin is on deck 9, the Owners Suite. I truly don’t anticipate this happening but I just read the review and wondered how true this was.

I believe every ship now and then has a sewage smell. Its really impossible to never have it.  The issue is if it never leaves and is really bad.  I was on the brand new getaway in a forward penthouse and we had a bad sewage smell every time the ship was in port.  Sea days were fine though.  The smell was in the bathroom and came through the drains.

I believe every cruise I have taken I have gotten a whiff of sewage now and then.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JennyB1977 said:

I was in cabin 9203 in June 2018. No issues with sewage smell. I have links to review in my signature. I believe she just came out of dry dock in March 2019. Here is a link to information on that...https://www.ncl.com/travel-blog/norwegian-sky-dry-dock-2019-ship-renovation-details

We will be in 9201. According to the article, they even have new hot tubs. That sounds so good. This will be my first experience with Norwegian. Thank you for the information.

7 minutes ago, pinkie60 said:

We will be in 9201. According to the article, they even have new hot tubs. That sounds so good. This will be my first experience with Norwegian. Thank you for the information.

You are really going to have a great cruise.  Those owner suites with their private hot tub are really nice.  Even with no Haven area, the concierge will pamper you and check in with you twice a day.  The suite experience on the Sky was probably the best IMHO.

3 hours ago, david_sobe said:

I believe every ship now and then has a sewage smell. Its really impossible to never have it.  The issue is if it never leaves and is really bad.  I was on the brand new getaway in a forward penthouse and we had a bad sewage smell every time the ship was in port.  Sea days were fine though.  The smell was in the bathroom and came through the drains.

I believe every cruise I have taken I have gotten a whiff of sewage now and then.

Sewage smells that come in to cabin bathrooms are easily taken care of.  This comes from the floor drain (not the shower, the round drain under the toilet or the gutter drain at the bathroom door) trap drying out and letting odors back up.  Pouring a glass of water into these drains that don't see water often will usually cure the odor immediately.  This is the most frequent cause of sewer smells on ships.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Sewage smells that come in to cabin bathrooms are easily taken care of.  This comes from the floor drain (not the shower, the round drain under the toilet or the gutter drain at the bathroom door) trap drying out and letting odors back up.  Pouring a glass of water into these drains that don't see water often will usually cure the odor immediately.  This is the most frequent cause of sewer smells on ships.

Not really relevant to cruising, but this also can help when someone has a bathroom that isn't used very frequently (or in a vacation home, etc.).

If the sink isn't used (or shower or tub), occasionally let the water run briefly.

That "U" shaped pipe under the sink (there are similar in other drains, just not as easily visible) is meant to stop odors from coming up from the sewer line.  Water in the "U", if deep enough to come, say, at least half-way up both sides, won't allow any air to pass through.

This is your "Good Housekeeping Tip Of The Week" :classic_smile:

GC

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Thanks for the tip.  If I encounter this again, I will follow your instructions.

• Like 1

My wife was on the Sky last week and the first thing she did was call me from the ship in port and told me that it STUNK!  When she got in her cabin, forward deck 4, she said it stunk even worse!  She complained, they shampoo'd the carpets while they were in Cuba, and when they came back, it still stunk!  She complained and complained, but they weren't able to move their cabin, as the ship was sold out.  Instead, they gave her an $80 OBC....BIG deal.  She's been trying to call NCL regarding the incident, but has been on hold for hours on end, and she doesn't have the time to wait.  We're sailing on the Breakaway in August, was hoping they would be able to compensate for something on our future cruise, because she had a HORRIBLE experience with the STENCH of the ship, among others on the sailing as well.

I've smelled sewage on the Dawn, Jewel, Gem and BA at one point or another. From anywhere from hours to a day or two. Ships like homes have plumbing systems. Most of the time they work very well, sometimes you have a problem. Sometimes the People on the cruise are the problem.

• Like 1