Thanksgiving cruise price vs price for after-Thanksgiving cruise

hokkeika

Hello all, I need an advise. Thinking of booking a Thanksgiving 10day panama 2019 cruise. Right now have an insider sale price of about a thousand for a balcony room. Everything that i have read said: for any holidays buy asap. However the same advise articles say the best prices for any cruises are for the next two weeks right after thanxgiving. How much of a drop in the prices we are talking about? will it be a 500 per person for a balcony room or 800 bill? How material will be the drop?  And obviously the drop will happen right before the cruise date. (I am asking this because we just came back from Alaska cruise, which we booked in February for one price, but the price dropped 50% about month -3 weeks before sailing, and to know that we overpaid sucked big time. Alaska was amazing and the cruise was great, but i would love to know i am not overpaying my hard earned beer money again!) Thank you! :)

2 hours ago, hokkeika said:

Hello all, I need an advise. Thinking of booking a Thanksgiving 10day panama 2019 cruise. Right now have an insider sale price of about a thousand for a balcony room. Everything that i have read said: for any holidays buy asap. However the same advise articles say the best prices for any cruises are for the next two weeks right after thanxgiving. How much of a drop in the prices we are talking about? will it be a 500 per person for a balcony room or 800 bill? How material will be the drop?  And obviously the drop will happen right before the cruise date. (I am asking this because we just came back from Alaska cruise, which we booked in February for one price, but the price dropped 50% about month -3 weeks before sailing, and to know that we overpaid sucked big time. Alaska was amazing and the cruise was great, but i would love to know i am not overpaying my hard earned beer money again!) Thank you! 🙂

I can't give you exact figures, but I've found the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas to be one of the least expensive times of year to cruise.  There are good fares without waiting for price drops right before the cruise.  I have to fly to ports, so I can't take advantage of last minute fares.

Roz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We went at US thanksgiving a couple of years ago and the last minute prices were good if you weren’t picky about cabin!  We had prebooked a large aft so we’re happy with our pick, but we had friends who booked an obstructed ocean view for a very low price.   But we much preferred our cabin.   The ship sailed nowhere close to full. I think the longer cruises that time don’t fill.  Just my opinion though. 

So?  Are you feeling lucky?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bennybear said:

We went at US thanksgiving a couple of years ago and the last minute prices were good if you weren’t picky about cabin!  We had prebooked a large aft so we’re happy with our pick, but we had friends who booked an obstructed ocean view for a very low price.   But we much preferred our cabin.   The ship sailed nowhere close to full. I think the longer cruises that time don’t fill.  Just my opinion though. 

So?  Are you feeling lucky?  

I dont want an obstructed view, but if it will be costing me 1200 less - i will take it! The fact that you said "the ship sailed nowhere near to full" really helps - gives me hope for the good prices. Also I've got this table somewhere on the net ....

cheapest-weeks-to-cruise-1-756x420.jpg

I have found that the first week of Dec is a great time to cruise, with prices being near the lowest point of the season (Caribbean).  I try not to book too close to either Thanksgiving or Christmas, to avoid the air travel hassles and prices.

I have not seen much in price declines on these cruises after final payment, since I generally do not book one unless the price is already low (based on historical averages).  Also, I have been pretty lucky on getting good upsells on these cruises.

Like all other products, cruise prices are determined by supply and demand.  Demand during the first several weeks of December is low; therefore, prices reflect that lower demand.  Holiday cruises typically have high demand with higher prices.  If you're concerned about the cost of a fare, go during that low demand period.  You get the same cruise for an incredibly low price.  One year we sailed to the Panama Canal, leaving Dec. 10 and returning Dec. 21.  The next year we sailed during Christmas week for seven days and paid more than twice per person what the longer Panama cruise cost.  

Since that cruise, we've sailed every Christmas, and sometimes New Year's, paying extra because we enjoy celebrating the holidays aboard a ship.  Each person has to determine whether the extra cost is worth it to him or her.  Regardless of when you choose to sail, enjoy!

7 hours ago, hokkeika said:

I dont want an obstructed view, but if it will be costing me 1200 less - i will take it! The fact that you said "the ship sailed nowhere near to full" really helps - gives me hope for the good prices. Also I've got this table somewhere on the net ....

If the cheapest price is obstructed view and that is what you want to pay, just book a guarantee. Hopefully you get upgraded to something not obstructed and worst case you end up with what you paid for. Of course you could also end up with a worse cabin than you would if you picked it now. Those are the chances you take.

I think it is a fact of cruising life that prices take a dive after final payment. I made out big-time this year waiting for the price drop this year after paying way more than I should have last year. Of course, I wasn't in "I HAVE to be on that cruise" mindset like I was last year and if prices had not taken a dive I would not be leaving for Rome next week. If you feel the same way, then don't book anything and wait and see if the cruise after Thanksgiving takes a dive in September/October.

• Like 1