Best Drink Package for a Tea Drinker

The DW and I will be on the Allure on Sept. 29th.  I purchased the refreshment package for myself only, because she said she wouldn't take advantage of the offerings included to make it worth the expense (the refreshment package is now $50 more than what I paid for it!).  She only wants access to tea, and she's a bit of a fussy tea drinker, so she needs specialty teas.  When we cruised Princess the coffee card got her punches for fancy coffees but it also included unlimited regular coffee and teas (without punches), and they had a decent selection of teas, so it was a good fit for her.  I'm not quite sure what to do for her on the Allure however.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks! 🙂

19 minutes ago, custompcsys said:

The DW and I will be on the Allure on Sept. 29th.  I purchased the refreshment package for myself only, because she said she wouldn't take advantage of the offerings included to make it worth the expense (the refreshment package is now $50 more than what I paid for it!).  She only wants access to tea, and she's a bit of a fussy tea drinker, so she needs specialty teas.  When we cruised Princess the coffee card got her punches for fancy coffees but it also included unlimited regular coffee and teas (without punches), and they had a decent selection of teas, so it was a good fit for her.  I'm not quite sure what to do for her on the Allure however.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks! 🙂

The refreshment includes specialty teas. My past few sailings they’ve offered the Tazo ones and had a good variety. I can’t remember the brand of the free tea or the options available. 

Royal has a nice selection of flavors (at least 8 different ones) for tea available at the self-service stations and from room service, unfortunately I don't remember the brand. I do remember that the teas offered at the specialty coffee bars were from Tazo, and a tall ran about $1.95 plus auto-gratuity. 

I don't drink that much alcohol, but I will get 2-3 chais a day plus at least 3 virgin daiquiris/coladas and fresh juice or soda with meals, so the refreshment package works well for me.  My mother on the other hand only wants her maybe 1-2 espresso or cappuccinos daily and otherwise only drinks water (she will bring her MIO flavors pods) so she gets the coffee punch card. 

I haven't cruised on the Allure, but I was very disappointed in the tea selections on the Symphony OTS (January 2019) and the Liberty OTS( last year).  I suggest bringing your own tea bags just in case.  Also, make sure the ship's venue isn't using "hot" water stored in a large urn (more often on the Liberty) (rarely hot enough to brew tea).  On the Symphony, I found that the cafe in Central Park on deck 8 always had appropriately hot water (but it was not open 24 hours).  

It's beginning to look like the way to go for her is to bring along a box or 2 of her usual teas (Lady Gray and Kombucha) as a backup and see what the complimentary teas are.  If she doesn't like them she can use her own and just ask for hot water.  She's not a specialty coffee or virgin drink drinker, so she wouldn't get the return on the Refreshment Package....kind of expensive for tea and water 🙂

13 minutes ago, custompcsys said:

It's beginning to look like the way to go for her is to bring along a box or 2 of her usual teas (Lady Gray and Kombucha) as a backup and see what the complimentary teas are.  If she doesn't like them she can use her own and just ask for hot water.  She's not a specialty coffee or virgin drink drinker, so she wouldn't get the return on the Refreshment Package....kind of expensive for tea and water 🙂

Totally agree, that package is way overpriced if it will only be used for bags of tea.  Just have her bring her own tea bags.

My preference is also for tea, so I bring my own preferred tea bags for convenience, but also have a small travel brewer that I can use to brew loose tea. The promenade cafe will have hot water available from the coffee area (look for a small tap on the coffee machine, not always labeled, rather than getting hot water from a separate urn).

I also make my own iced tea this way, by brewing tea of my choice double strength and getting ice from the counter in the Promenade Cafe or from one of the soda machines (you don't need the special cup just to get ice).

My recollection from our January 2019 cruise on Adventure was that they had a mix of brands of tea available in the Windjammer, Promenade Cafe, and elsewhere, but predominantly London Tea Co., which is a major improvement over the poor-quality "First Tea" brand they had switched to a few years back. Occasionally I would also find other brand-name teabags in the selections, but that was hit or miss.

Edited by CntPAcruiser

I believe RCL has a coffee card...Im not sure pf the terms but Im pretty sure ot would include specialty tea drinks as well..I also think it costs like $36 and you get 15 drinks for that.

41 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Do any RC ships have African Solstice tea? My wife fell in love with it on Celebrity Reflection. It is a non-caffeine herbal tea, packaged in little yellow pyramid-shaped boxes.

Never seen it on a Royal ship.  Even if I had seen it, I'd still bring my own as you cannot depend on them having it every day at every venue.

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

Never seen it on a Royal ship.  Even if I had seen it, I'd still bring my own as you cannot depend on them having it every day at every venue.

We had to get it at Cafe al B on Reflection. Thx for the suggestion. It is available on Amazon, and we are planning on ordering a couple dozen.