LAYOVER ATL OR MIA?

luv2cruise51

Our Seabourn TA from Lisbon (11/02/19) ends in Sint Maarten on 11/16/19.  We have a AA flight from SXM to SFO at 5:08pm with layover in MIA for 1hr 58min. This gets us into SFO at 12:33am; then need to get ride to hotel to sleep. This flight is with Seabourn's FlightEase but not ticketed yet.

We are trying to get into SFO earlier to get some rest at our hotel before we fly out from SFO to San Luis Obispo (SBP) next morning at 12:50pm.

Just found another flight today on Delta leaving SXM 3:45pm, arriving SFO 11:31pm, with a 2hr 13min. layover in ATL. We will only have carry-on luggage as we are using Luggage Forward for the rest.

We have never been through ATL or MIA, just Fort Lauderdale.  Have heard horror stories about ATL being so busy all the time; November 16th is a Saturday, too.

Would love the extra hour getting in as we have found out some of the hotels near SFO stop running their regular shuttles from/to SFO by midnight and/or 1:00am. Would then have to call, etc. 

Any thoughts on ATL v. MIA for similar layover times?

Forgot to mention, Delta flight arrives at 7:10pm in ATL; AA flight arrives in MIA at 7:37pm on Saturday, 11/16/19.

Kathy

Edited by luv2cruise51
added times.

I'd prefer the flight itinerary that would get me into SFO earlier.  I have never made a connection in Miami, but have made many in Atlanta, some with long connection times (i.e. 6+ hours).  I like ATL (I have been told I must be crazy).  But, I have learned how to navigate ATL and, if not qualified to use Delta's Sky Clubs for "free", if the layover time warrants doing so, I'll buy a day pass for the Clubs.

Yes, rkacruiser, you confirmed what we were thinking about getting in earlier to SFO. With 2 hours in ATL, we should be just find getting to wherever we have to go for Delta. I have a AMEX Gold Delta card but don't think it gets me into any lounges, tho'.  For only 2 hours, we may forego that.

Thank you for your help, really appreciate it.

MIA isn't awful but it's less predictable than ATL.

ATL is set up in a toastrack formation with similar size terminals and a train and underground passageway connecting them. ATL's concourse are quite small with low ceilings and when you've got hundreds of people shuffling in various directions it can feel a bit hectic at times. However, it is pretty easy.

MIA has one long concourse with several offshoots (check AA''s terminal map for guidance) and you don't quite know what you'll end up with. There is a tram that helps avoid some of the longer walks.

Are you looking at FC or economy? To me that'd have more influence on my choice of airline rather than the layover point and connections given they aren't massively different. On some of these longer transcontinental-esque flights you can find big differences between FC cabins. 

No FC flying back. With AA, will probably pay to go up to their Main Cabin Extra, etc.  With Delta, the same, with their Comfort+ or something like that. We have both Citi/AA and AMEX/Delta Gold cards with some miles left on them but not sure if we can upgrade with them.

We will probably be booking with Seabourn's FlightEase with regular Economy and then try to upgrade after being ticketed.

We are flying on TAP Portugal in Business Class lie-flat on their new A330-neos, non-stop to Lisbon out of SFO, which we're looking forward to, but couldn't swing it getting out of Sint Maarten.

This Delta flight just popped up today but may keep on checking to see if anything else comes up. 

Thanks for the info.

I would choose the ATL connection also. Like a previous poster, I actually like ATL especially when compared with MIA. It is crazy busy, but I've always found it to be pretty efficient. MIA isn't awful, but I would prefer ATL.

ATL is going to be a better connection spot for international to domestic as well. ATL is a much busier airport, but MIA is a much busier airport in international passengers. You'll have a little bit more time, plus the benefit of going through customs and immigration in ATL which should be easier than MIA. 

ATL is an easy airport to navigate too, the plane train makes it simple. 

20 hours ago, luv2cruise51 said:

We have never been through ATL or MIA, just Fort Lauderdale.  Have heard horror stories about ATL being so busy all the time; November 16th is a Saturday, too.

ATL is the world's busiest airport but it is very easy to navigate.  There are 7 concourses lined up in a row, with underground plane train running between them.  Signage is good, and the train is quick and frequent. 

17 hours ago, luv2cruise51 said:

I have a AMEX Gold Delta card but don't think it gets me into any lounges, tho'.  For only 2 hours, we may forego that.

Correct.  The Delta Gold Amex will not get you into the Sky Club.

16 hours ago, luv2cruise51 said:

No FC flying back. With AA, will probably pay to go up to their Main Cabin Extra, etc.  With Delta, the same, with their Comfort+ or something like that. We have both Citi/AA and AMEX/Delta Gold cards with some miles left on them but not sure if we can upgrade with them.

We will probably be booking with Seabourn's FlightEase with regular Economy and then try to upgrade after being ticketed.

We are flying on TAP Portugal in Business Class lie-flat on their new A330-neos, non-stop to Lisbon out of SFO, which we're looking forward to, but couldn't swing it getting out of Sint Maarten.

This Delta flight just popped up today but may keep on checking to see if anything else comes up. 

Thanks for the info.

But with your Delta AMEX card you will be boarding before most of the passengers.

Thanks to all who commented.  It really helped.  We are now booked on the Delta flights in their Comfort+ seats to get us in to SFO a little earlier.

ATL was a no brainer considering all the positive comments.  Thanks again.

Yes the Gold card doesn't proved skyclub privileges. And a 2 hour layover is really not that long considering you will have to go through customs and immigration. That would be the same for MIA as well.  What it will do is give you some time to grab something to eat before boarding the flight to SFO.

Having flown into both airports from international locations, I'd pick ATL as in IMO, there's lot less walking to get thru customs and immigration. MIA has you walking all over the place.

19 hours ago, Voelfgar said:

But with your Delta AMEX card you will be boarding before most of the passengers.

Not necessarily.  The Delta Amex gives you boarding zone "Main Cabin 1."  But zone 1 is far from the first to board.   I believe it is currently the 5th boarding zone.  Boarding prior to that will be passengers needing assistance/extra time, families with small children in strollers/carseats, active duty military, passengers in first or business class, passengers in Comfort+, all diamond/platinum/gold medallion members and all Sky Team Elite+ members.  When they finally call Main Cabin 1 you will board with Delta Amex cardholders and all the silver medallion members and Sky Team Elite members.  I've seen the prior zones include up to 50-75 people (sometimes the upgrade list for medallions goes into the 50's and 60's!) and I've seen Main Cabin 1 likewise include literally dozens and dozens of people.   You will however, board before Main Cabin zones 2 and 3, so *should* still be able to find overhead bin space for carry on luggage. 

1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

Not necessarily.  The Delta Amex gives you boarding zone "Main Cabin 1."  But zone 1 is far from the first to board.   I believe it is currently the 5th boarding zone.  Boarding prior to that will be passengers needing assistance/extra time, families with small children in strollers/carseats, active duty military, passengers in first or business class, passengers in Comfort+, all diamond/platinum/gold medallion members and all Sky Team Elite+ members.  When they finally call Main Cabin 1 you will board with Delta Amex cardholders and all the silver medallion members and Sky Team Elite members.  I've seen the prior zones include up to 50-75 people (sometimes the upgrade list for medallions goes into the 50's and 60's!) and I've seen Main Cabin 1 likewise include literally dozens and dozens of people.   You will however, board before Main Cabin zones 2 and 3, so *should* still be able to find overhead bin space for carry on luggage. 

I said "most" not "all"  And for there to be 50-75 in zones prior to main 1, it would have to be on an aircraft with well over 200 seats; otherwise what's the purpose of having zones if more than half the people can board prior to the 3 main boarding zones.

1 hour ago, Voelfgar said:

I said "most" not "all"  And for there to be 50-75 in zones prior to main 1, it would have to be on an aircraft with well over 200 seats; otherwise what's the purpose of having zones if more than half the people can board prior to the 3 main boarding zones.

It just depends on the flight.   Some routes are extremely medallion heavy and yes, well over half the passengers may have medallion status, and/or be seated in first/comfort+.   Delta doesn't change the zones just because some flights are medallion heavy and others are not.  It's actually a common complaint that they promote the credit card by playing up the "zone 1 boarding" perk when the reality is that zone 1 is far from the first group to board.

American is similar with its credit card now being rebranded as "Preferred" boarding rather than Priority as it was marketed before.

In the current system AA have 9 stated boarding groups with Concierge Keys being before Group 1 (which is First Class only). Group 2 is Emeralds/Business Class (on aircraft with First and Business) etc. The credit card is Group 5 boarding which is the first of the non-Priority groups.

21 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Here is the current boarding order for Delta:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/onboard-services/boarding-priority.html

Note that "Main Cabin 1" is 7th of 10 groups.

But on the bright side, if one is on a domestic (or Canadian/Caribbean/Mexican) itinerary, there is no Delta 1, so Main Cabin 1 would be 6th of 9 groups, instead of 7th of 10. 🤣

21 hours ago, luv2cruise51 said:

It looks like we will be boarding in group 5 out of 10, as we are now booked  as Delta Comfort+.  I can live with that.

See above.  You'll be 4th of 9 groups flying from SXM.  🙂