When do you pack?

tulok

16 hours ago, Birdie And Sue said:

I start packing about an hour before I go to bed the night before we leave.  Anything earlier than that is just plain silly.

Totally agree.  Plus, if I start any earlier than that, the possibility of me not remembering if I did, or didn’t previously pack certain item(s) increases dramatically, causing me to either double pack some things, or forgetting them entirely.

I’ve been known to take a flight in the day of, and pack the morning of the cruise.

Everything I’ll take will fit in a “roll-aboard” and a back pack.  So, I can usually knock it out in about 30 minutes, tops.

I keep a box for travel items like wallets, extra glasses, noise machine, adaptors, containers, etc. So I can pull out when needed and everything is always in one place. Books, papers, etc are piled up on a chair that I never use. As for clothes, I like to have a list but I tend to lay out everything I think I want to take the weekend before I leave. Then I can do laundry or replace clothes with others or remove some when it looks excessive. But I will only pack the night before. I'm single and child-less so this works well for me. If I had kids, I would start two weeks before I think!

I will start staging clothes on my dining room table.  I make outfits (sometimes too many).  Then the day before I begin to pack the suitcases.

As for toiletries, sun glasses, etc.  I have a bin that I collect all of them in so I don't forget anything.

That last time I waited until the night before I left to start packing, I discovered that my suitcase was falling apart. Far too late to get a new one. I left a trail of wheels and plastic pieces everywhere I went. I now start seriously packing about 2 weeks out to make sure that I don't miss anything and have time to correct problems.

I travel so much for work that I keep a toiletry bag packed at all times.  Usually 2 nights before the cruise I throw my clothes in a bag and I'm ready to go.  Entire process takes no more than 20 minutes for me.

2 hours ago, ZsaZsa2019 said:

I bought packing cubes after reading comments on this board about how great they are.  I'm not sold on it yet, but then again, haven't started the process.  How can I possibly fit some XL hoodies in those little bags??

Packing cubes come in different sizes, and not everything has to be in one. I find them helpful for organization, and in a hotel or aboard ship it makes unpacking easy. Also, I sometimes travel with a rolling duffel bag that has no internal dividers, making packing cubes almost essential. It even came with a diagram suggesting sizes and arrangement of them.

I bought packing cubes too and they are useful but I don't use them for everything. The hoodie generally goes on the plane with me as I get really cold and shoes are tucked into the corners of the suitcase. I also don't always take the cubes with me. They are useful for organization though.

oh the joy of packing  l love it

I  have been packed for 4 months

husband charges me $10 every time I open the suit case to rearrange the contents

long time ago took so many bags to the airport that a stranger asked me "Lady did younleave anything at home?"

I replied  "I hope not"

• Haha 1

Night before for both of us. Takes a little longer if I am packing DH's stuff as well.

The last couple of vacation's DH has flown in from business trips to leave the next day for vacation so I have done all the packing.

Trying to get our 7 day in October to just 2 carry on's.

80 days out for my trip on the Joy.    

Ive started getting things together and thinking what I’ll be bringing.  

I hate forgetting anything

and yes cubes are awesome.  

I have a few sets.  .  

Our last trip we had a red-eye flight...

I worked, came home, packed for both of us (Johnny had selected most of his clothes), showered & dressed for travel...

Called Cab & they arrived about 20 mins later...

Traditionally we pack the night b/4 - but not always 🙂

Cruising on 15th...everything packed EXCEPT for hubby's list. 

I swear...for someone who wears XXXL who literally will have no clothes if he forgets something....he likes to live dangerously!!

Amy