How many people can "comfortably fit" for a party in a Vista-class Neptune Suite?

zelker

We've stayed in a Neptune Suite on Westerdam and Zuiderdam but have never invited more than 4 people to stop by at one time.  However, this fall on our 40 day Noordam cruise, we've decided to host a small wine-tasting and are trying to decide how many people we should limit it to, especially if conditions do not permit people being out on the verandah.  We'll be in one of the starboard side-facing suites, not one of the aft corners and DH isn't keen on having people have to sit on our bed.

For those who have hosted or attended a get-together in a non-aft corner NS, what's a good number to cap our invites?

Thanks!

Edited by zelker
  • Like 1

Keeping in mind your neighbors and noise considerations.  I think 10-15 people would be max unless you are sure you can use the verandah.  IMO after attending  a number of parties in those ca bins.

Is this an afternoon or evening, before dinner party?

image.png.106c9a8560d9bc14ece904f52e525620.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

I’ve hosted a few wine tasting parties when we’ve had a Neptune Suite.

We usually did them around 2:30 ish.

I got 25 in my Vista Class Neptune Suite (Westerdam).  The verandah was available but very few went on it.  Most were in the room.

I had 27/29 in my Neptune Suite on the Prinsendam but it is laid out a bit better than the Vista class (JMO of course).  We couldn’t use the verandah due to the weather so it was the room only.

In case the verandah is not available, if you want to be cautious hold it to 20 if you like.  You can bring in some of the verandah chairs and actually these things are kind of like a meet and mingle so standing does not bother a number.

These can be a lot of fun.  As to neighbours, none of our get together bothered our neighbours.  I’m quite careful about this and alerted them but they barely heard a thing.  Several thought we had cancelled as they didn’t hear a sound.

These functions aren’t really rowdy 😉. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback, Jacqui.  Most helpful.

Good idea to let our neighbors know ahead of time but agree, it's unlikely we'll be swinging from the rafters.  LOL  

I thought about bringing in the verandah chairs but then wondered if the NL concierge could get us a few of the armless banquet-style chairs (or even folding chairs if they exist on the ship) as extra seating but also agree that many will just stand and mill around.  It's also convenient that there's plenty of surface space between tables and counters to hold glasses and small plates while one is standing.

Not sure I can convince DH to open it up to 20 but definitely feeling more comfortable with at least 14 and perhaps a few more.

Barb

46 minutes ago, zelker said:

Late afternoon, before dinner for sure.  DH was thinking 10 while I was thinking 14.  Maybe we should compromise and call it 12.  LOL

Sounds fun.  Is this party for your roll call group  or are you traveling with a group of 10 or so that you  know?

image.png.740975bca1dd777003ecc8a2bb5d09eb.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Enjoy.   hope it is wonderful

Ask your concierge   to help   with any  specfic needs you may have.

16 minutes ago, zelker said:

Thanks for the feedback, Jacqui.  Most helpful.

Good idea to let our neighbors know ahead of time but agree, it's unlikely we'll be swinging from the rafters.  LOL  

I thought about bringing in the verandah chairs but then wondered if the NL concierge could get us a few of the armless banquet-style chairs (or even folding chairs if they exist on the ship) as extra seating but also agree that many will just stand and mill around.  It's also convenient that there's plenty of surface space between tables and counters to hold glasses and small plates while one is standing.

Not sure I can convince DH to open it up to 20 but definitely feeling more comfortable with at least 14 and perhaps a few more.

Barb

Twenty people really  is too many in those suites.   You are looking for spills, accidents and lots of noise seeing they will be drinking.    A moving ship and many people squeezed into a small space...    SOME people tend to get loud when they drink.  You may want to party but there are many nearby cabins that need to be considered while making your plans.  IMO

image.png

image.png

Edited by sail7seas

Thanks!  I think it will be fun and a good way to get to know a few people from the Roll Call early on in the cruise since it's just DH and I traveling.  We plan to hold it on one of the sea days between Vancouver and Honolulu.  And yes, will definitely be asking the concierge for help.  

PS - Since each stateroom will only bring one bottle to share, it truly is a wine TASTING, not a party and not an opportunity to get plastered.  

Edited by zelker

1 hour ago, sail7seas said:

Twenty people really  is too many in those suites.   You are looking for spills, accidents and lots of noise seeing they will be drinking.    A moving ship and many people squeezed into a small space...    SOME people tend to get loud when they drink.  You may want to party but there are many nearby cabins that need to be considered while making your plans.  IMO

I’m sorry but I so disagree.  I’ve not had any spills at our get togethers (and I am certainly capable of cleaning if we do) and there is NOT lots of noise.

This is not a drunk, it’s a social get together with a glass of wine or two.

If you read up to my post earlier, you will see that nearby cabins are always considered and it has had NO impact on them.  

1 hour ago, zelker said:

Thanks!  I think it will be fun and a good way to get to know a few people from the Roll Call early on in the cruise since it's just DH and I traveling.  We plan to hold it on one of the sea days between Vancouver and Honolulu.  And yes, will definitely be asking the concierge for help.  

PS - Since each stateroom will only bring one bottle to share, it truly is a wine TASTING, not a party and not an opportunity to get plastered.  

I forgot to tell you - concierge will arrange for wine glasses for you.  Room service will bring them.  Just call when you are done.

I’ve also arranged for munchies and if there are enough of us in Neptune Suites, we’ve been able to combine and make use of our amenities.  Over 4 or 5 will cost $.  But the servings are VERY generous.  Seriously a serving for 5 can easily do 10 people.

You just need something light (if you want something).

We also used a bar one cruise (arranged with shipboard services prior to the cruise).  We were lucky enough to have a sommelier on our roll call (taxmantoo) and he agreed to do a fun “wine tasting for dummies”.  We had around 35 people.

If you are using a public space you can’t use your “free” bottle (unless you want to pay corkage) so Taxmantoo and I picked up the special wine he selected in San Diego and carried it on.  It got the appropriate stickers so there was no issue with the tasting in a public space.  Those attending simply repaid the cost of the wine and the corkage.  Since a tasting is not an entire bottle of wine, the cost was pretty reasonable and everyone enjoyed it very much.  🙂 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zelker said:

ha, ha, ha,  🙂

Yes,  but  .......      

image.png.dee1ed905477998f3015f3714770f222.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

17 hours ago, kazu said:

I’m sorry but I so disagree.  I’ve not had any spills at our get togethers (and I am certainly capable of cleaning if we do) and there is NOT lots of noise.

This is not a drunk, it’s a social get together with a glass of wine or two.

If you read up to my post earlier, you will see that nearby cabins are always considered and it has had NO impact on them.         

I   have  read  the post you reference.

Yes, of course,  Kazu,

I only speak from my personal  experience of having been one of the nearby neighbors several times and there was plenty of noise. 

We certainly chose to ignore it   for the two hours or so the party went on.   20 persons together for a party  in one suite  has to  = noise to  the neighbors. Assuming people were enjoying the party.

image.png.b79caed4a952fddbd1cba63a88a2b08e.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas

We have been invited to a few wine / cocktail parties on various ships.  There was usually about 16 of us.  Most of us stayed in side because of the weather.  There was lots of food.  We all sat around and talked.  No noise.  Food was good.

Go far it and enjoy the company.

• Like 1