Very Late Embarkation

Banjo

Maybe some the folks that been in this situation can help me.

I am booked the September 23rd Solstice cruise from Honolulu to Sydney. I just noticed on the itinerary that the Solstice departs Honolulu at 1159pm. Few questions:

When can we board? All of my previous Celebrity cruises the ship left between 4p-6p, usually get down to the pier around 10a, onboard between 11a-12n. 

If allowed the usual mentioned time to board, will they feed us? If feeding us will the MDR and BLU be open for the regular dinner hours? Or, will it just be the Oceanview buffet?

When will they do a muster drill? Normally I like to be in bed by midnight 🙂. The next day early we will be Maui, like to be ready to go when we arrive. 

Finally, we are arriving in Honolulu the day before. Hotel checkout is 11a, if not allowed to board till 5p, what does one do close to Cruise Terminal?

Thanks, Banjo

Board as you normally would. Expect a couple of musters (as people will be boarding from 1030-2100). All the regular dining options will be available for lunch & dinner. Enjoy the day on board or touring Honolulu. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Board as you normally would. Expect a couple of musters (as people will be boarding from 1030-2100). All the regular dining options will be available for lunch & dinner. Enjoy the day on board or touring Honolulu. 

Thanks Awhfy. You just gave me a idea. We are staying close to the airport and we arrive late-so that kind of kills the arrival day. But the embarkation day we can uber over to the cruise terminal. Drop off the bags and then uber over to Pearl Harbor. Last time we went to Pearl Harbor many of the exhibits, including the Arizona, were closed. Then, late afternoon, uber to the cruise terminal. The airport-cruise terminal-Pearl Harbor are all close together so the uber expense cannot be that expensive.

Anyone knowlegeable of Honolulu, is that doable?

Banjo it is doable. I’d get a rental car for a day, Uber (or bus) to airport to get car, load luggage, drop it off at cruise terminal then go to Pearl Harbor (get there as early as possible, or get time specific tickets on line prior. If your cruise departure day is Wednesday, Saturday or Sunday then I’d recommend driving to Aloha Stadium after Pearl Harbor (but before 2pm) for the open market (it’s about 5 minutes from Pearl) Great place for souvenirs. Then drop family at cruise terminal & return car (if lucky get a car you can drop at cruise terminal). That would likely be less expensive than doing an Uber. But Uber is definitely an option if you don’t want the rental car. The city bus is $2. Enjoy!

Thanks Awhfy. The Aloha Stadium sounds like a great idea, unfortunately the ship leaves on a Monday. I am now searching for rental cars. Hertz has an office at the Aloha Tower which looks like a short walk to the Cruise Terminal. That looks like a good option which looks cheaper then uber in the long run, more convenient and allow us to get to Pearl earlier. Thanks Again, Banjo 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Banjo said:

Thanks Awhfy. The Aloha Stadium sounds like a great idea, unfortunately the ship leaves on a Monday. I am now searching for rental cars. Hertz has an office at the Aloha Tower which looks like a short walk to the Cruise Terminal. That looks like a good option which looks cheaper then uber in the long run, more convenient and allow us to get to Pearl earlier. Thanks Again, Banjo 

Banjo -- Just a heads up the actual memorial is closed until Fall 2019, not sure when your cruise sails.  The National Park service site gives some information.

https://www.nps.gov/valr/faqs.htm

"Temporary Closure For USS Arizona Memorial
Visitor access to the USS Arizona Memorial is suspended due to movement of the loading dock and corresponding movement of the loading ramp to the memorial. The National Park Service has awarded the contract for repair of the anchoring system. Repairs are projected to be complete by fall 2019 and in time for the next December 7 remembrance, provided no issues arise during the construction period. We appreciate the public's continued patience as we work as fast as possible to fix the dock at the USS Arizona Memorial. Updates will be provided on our website and Facebook page.

What can I do instead?
In lieu of USS Arizona Memorial programs, visitors are taken on a 15-minute narrated harbor tour of Battleship Row, very near to the USS Arizona Memorial. Tickets are still required. Visitors can reserve tickets online at www.recreation.gov or come to the visitor center for same-day walk-in tickets. The visitor center, museums, and bookstore are still open from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM, seven days a week, and our partner sites – the Battleship Missouri Memorial, the USS Bowfin Submarine Museum and Park, and the Pacific Aviation Museum Pearl Harbor – are open as usual."

Edited by mchell810
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Banjo said:

Maybe some the folks that been in this situation can help me.

I am booked the September 23rd Solstice cruise from Honolulu to Sydney. I just noticed on the itinerary that the Solstice departs Honolulu at 1159pm. Few questions:

When can we board? All of my previous Celebrity cruises the ship left between 4p-6p, usually get down to the pier around 10a, onboard between 11a-12n. 

If allowed the usual mentioned time to board, will they feed us? If feeding us will the MDR and BLU be open for the regular dinner hours? Or, will it just be the Oceanview buffet?

When will they do a muster drill? Normally I like to be in bed by midnight 🙂. The next day early we will be Maui, like to be ready to go when we arrive.

We were recently on the Eclipse and the ship departed Honolulu at 11pm.   Our flight arrived at 11am and we went directly to the pier and were actually on the ship in our room a little before 1pm.   There were already a lot of people on the ship as it had come from Australia (?) and some 200 people stayed on board to continue on to Vancouver BC (and possibly even on to Alaska).   Blu and the main dining room were open for dinner and the buffet opened at 11:30am.   The muster drill was at 5pm.   It wasn't the same itinerary, but hopefully this info will help you a little.

001x.jpg

002x.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

We were recently on the Eclipse and the ship departed Honolulu at 11pm.   Our flight arrived at 11am and we went directly to the pier and were actually on the ship in our room a little before 1pm.   There were already a lot of people on the ship as it had come from Australia (?) and some 200 people stayed on board to continue on to Vancouver BC (and possibly even on to Alaska).   Blu and the main dining room were open for dinner and the buffet opened at 11:30am.   The muster drill was at 5pm.   It wasn't the same itinerary, but hopefully this info will help you a little.

001x.jpg

002x.jpg

I know this is a lot to ask but could you post the rest of the daily's if you have them? 

On 6/8/2019 at 9:28 PM, mchell810 said:

Banjo -- Just a heads up the actual memorial is closed until Fall 2019, not sure when your cruise sails.  The National Park service site gives some information.

https://www.nps.gov/valr/faqs.htm

"Temporary Closure For USS Arizona Memorial
Visitor access to the USS Arizona Memorial is suspended due to movement of the loading dock and corresponding movement of the loading ramp to the memorial. The National Park Service has awarded the contract for repair of the anchoring system. Repairs are projected to be complete by fall 2019 and in time for the next December 7 remembrance, provided no issues arise during the construction period. We appreciate the public's continued patience as we work as fast as possible to fix the dock at the USS Arizona Memorial. Updates will be provided on our website and Facebook page.

What can I do instead?
In lieu of USS Arizona Memorial programs, visitors are taken on a 15-minute narrated harbor tour of Battleship Row, very near to the USS Arizona Memorial. Tickets are still required. Visitors can reserve tickets online at www.recreation.gov or come to the visitor center for same-day walk-in tickets. The visitor center, museums, and bookstore are still open from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM, seven days a week, and our partner sites – the Battleship Missouri Memorial, the USS Bowfin Submarine Museum and Park, and the Pacific Aviation Museum Pearl Harbor – are open as usual."

Thanks for the heads up. That what was available after a Vancover-Honolulu Solstice cruise we took last Fall.  We did not make it out to the Missouri on that visit but did see the Bowfin & the Museum. Missour may be a option. 

Thanks Kokopelli thanks for the embarkation information.

We will check for some other activities, if not, go to the Cruise Terminal around 11 :).

21 minutes ago, Banjo said:

Thanks for the heads up. That what was available after a Vancover-Honolulu Solstice cruise we took last Fall.  We did not make it out to the Missouri on that visit but did see the Bowfin & the Museum. Missour may be a option. 

Thanks Kokopelli thanks for the embarkation information.

We will check for some other activities, if not, go to the Cruise Terminal around 11 :).

I will be on the same cruise leaving on the 22nd.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 1:41 PM, Banjo said:

Drop off the bags and then uber over to Pearl Harbor. 

Anyone knowlegeable of Honolulu, is that doable?

Definitely drop your luggage at the terminal. Don't leave anything in a rental car (even the trunk)

We had a long layover in Honolulu and had rented a car to spend the day with our small children at various places.

We had carryon luggage inside the trunk.

When we arrived back at the airport --all of our luggage had been stolen out of the car trunk--

Police said PROS had done it. They drilled the lock on the passenger door...popped the trunk from the latch inside the glove box, and wheeled the bags away.

We lost 6 months of notes and  items from a church mission trip, $, our preschooler's and elem school child's items including toys/blankey and losing a first tooth, many music CDs, our Bibles, medications, PASSPORTS, House and Car keys...and on and on.

We had traveled in dangerous places and nothing was stolen (where people had far less) only to get robbed in HI!

According to police it is a BIG problem.

On the Hawaii Eclipse cruise and one of the many on the B2B. Left the ship to tour Honolulu. Told that there would be a makeup Muster Drill for those who missed the one scheduled. Never happened! Thank goodness since our Muster station was in the Photo Gallery.  Wonderful cruise.

Edited by Orator

On 6/10/2019 at 3:36 PM, Fogfog said:

Definitely drop your luggage at the terminal. Don't leave anything in a rental car (even the trunk)

We had a long layover in Honolulu and had rented a car to spend the day with our small children at various places.

We had carryon luggage inside the trunk.

When we arrived back at the airport --all of our luggage had been stolen out of the car trunk--

Police said PROS had done it. They drilled the lock on the passenger door...popped the trunk from the latch inside the glove box, and wheeled the bags away.

We lost 6 months of notes and  items from a church mission trip, $, our preschooler's and elem school child's items including toys/blankey and losing a first tooth, many music CDs, our Bibles, medications, PASSPORTS, House and Car keys...and on and on.

We had traveled in dangerous places and nothing was stolen (where people had far less) only to get robbed in HI!

According to police it is a BIG problem.

Thanks for that heads-up.

On 6/10/2019 at 3:25 PM, verizon said:

I will be on the same cruise leaving on the 22nd.

This should be a good cruise.

We love Australia and are planning to extend our trip another 9 days in South Australia.

We have taken numerous Celebrity trans-Atlantics so we used to a LOT of sea days. Maybe not this many :).  Hoping they have some interesting 'Beyond the Podium' speakers.