Looking at polynesian cruises

CptBoatface

19 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

With a lot of Tahiti hotels going belly up like on Bora 

It's been close to two years since I've been, which hotels are going under on BB?  Not surprising considering the over-building that went on there a decade or two ago.

7 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

It's been close to two years since I've been, which hotels are going under on BB?  Not surprising considering the over-building that went on there a decade or two ago.

Hotel Bora Bora  ( the original hotel),  Club Med and  I think  one of the ones on the  lagoon...  was what locals told me..   They really did a job on filling the lagoon with a huge  number of over-water's     Seeing Bora in 1983  and in  5 additional visits  up to 2017  it was a stark change and not for the better...  Total commercialized   Sad.   Go to Fiji ...Matangi...Nukumbati...  Aritaki...    for  a real experience

Just now, Hawaiidan said:

Hotel Bora Bora  ( the original hotel),  Club Med and  I think  one of the ones on the  lagoon...  was what locals told me..   They really did a job on filling the lagoon with a huge  number of over-water's     Seeing Bora in 1983  and in  5 additional visits  up to 2017  it was a stark change and not for the better...  Total commercialized   Sad.   Go to Fiji ...Matangi...Nukumbati...  Aritaki...    for  a real experience

Hotel Bora Bora (the original) was closed down some years back, and torn down I think. Yes, it has been stark--even in 2000 when I first saw BB it was a bit too commercial for me.  Of course, hotels have a short lifetime in this climate--the luxury resort we stayed in on Manihi in 2000 is now just a ruin, probably little left by now.

But I love FP and hopefully will keep going there, if I can.

2 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Hotel Bora Bora (the original) was closed down some years back, and torn down I think. Yes, it has been stark--even in 2000 when I first saw BB it was a bit too commercial for me.  Of course, hotels have a short lifetime in this climate--the luxury resort we stayed in on Manihi in 2000 is now just a ruin, probably little left by now.

Understood  but  you should look at places like Matangi and Nukumbati off Vana Levu Fiji....    Me I am burned out on Polynesia numerous trips and living in the region took their toll.     The average person who moved there moves back in about 18 months.... to where ever it was they moved from.  Like Oysters its an acquired taste

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

Me I am burned out on Polynesia numerous trips and living in the region took their toll.     The average person who moved there moves back in about 18 months.... to where ever it was they moved from.  Like Oysters its an acquired taste

...and an expensive one.  We have found that the lifestyle is just too costly for many people.

9 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Couple other hotels I can think of that have closed in the last several years are the Novotel BB in about 2012-13, and BB Lagoon Resort....it was badly damaged in a cyclone in 2010 though.

Like other posters, jeeeeez FP is so hard on the pocketbook but I can't stay away.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Understood  but  you should look at places like Matangi and Nukumbati off Vana Levu Fiji....    Me I am burned out on Polynesia numerous trips and living in the region took their toll.     The average person who moved there moves back in about 18 months.... to where ever it was they moved from.  Like Oysters its an acquired taste

Hadn't thought to live there.  Just like visiting.

9 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Couple other hotels I can think of that have closed in the last several years are the Novotel BB in about 2012-13, and BB Lagoon Resort....it was badly damaged in a cyclone in 2010 though.

Like other posters, jeeeeez FP is so hard on the pocketbook but I can't stay away.

You have the Polynesian Flu just like Wendy and myself!

Any local cultural activities transposed elsewhere would tend to be somewhat compromised but the IC in Tahiti brings the winning Heiva dance team for a spectacular show. Further if you attend any of the Heivas , we have been both in BB and Tahiti, they are extremely authentic and attended by only a smattering of tourists.

A thousand plus men and women dancing in perfect synchronization in the Tahiti Heiva is a stunning sight . 

On 6/8/2019 at 7:25 PM, Hawaiidan said:

Sorry for your illness, ( malaria or Denge?)     The Regatta is more of a complete package  you arrive in Polynesia from the west coast having slowly been immersed in history and culture, Hawaii-Marquseas etc  You have the contrase of commercial Bora Bora and Papetee  to Moorea and Farakava and the other ports.     Food and service is excellent  ship size  perfect for the ports.    Shore ex are better  left to do it your self options. its a good 4.5 star

Paul Gaugin was the premier  ship part of Regent at one time but split off.   Its tired and true ( not a spelling error)    It is a small specialty vessel with the basic minimum of limited service and ambiance  It used to feature diving programs and water sports off the stern.   Its ambiance  is sort of like Disney goes to the south pacific... crafted faux cultural shows right out of  "mutiny on the bounty"   Polynesia for what the american thinks it is.        That grates others as cheesy.   Well it is.         Its run with a french flair and attitude which some love or hate.     Food and service is adequate but service in the polynesian culture is marginal at best...despite French influence.. at best its 3 star  

Have you considered wind star? 

Regatta  is way more oriented to guests in food and service.

Now  an other choice   Take a 4 day  blue lagoon cruise from Nandi Fiji  to the Yasawa Isl group  and then return to Fiji and stay at Matangi island or Nukimbati island    ( both 20 person resorts very  authentic and very 

non commercial (  if you want the castaway  feeling I recommend it)    His is what Hawaii was 100 years ago and Tahiti 60 years ago...     Fiji is the best escape  and place to capture the essence of  the south pacific that Michner wrote of.....    

Been to Tahiti and south pacific 6+ times from 1982 ro 2017  and lived in the region for 10years...  The above is my take

Hawaiian , you had admitted to me on the PG board a few years ago, when you decided to come on-board and spew misinformation and I called you on it, that you had never been on the PG. So I find it strange that now you say differently.

The service on the PG is spectacular and definitely 5 star. Food can be hit and miss but in 65 plus cruises the only time I was served a frozen tuna melt and blackened lettuce in my chicken Caesar was on Oceania. 

If one is looking for luxury in BB the big three on BB , St.Regis, 4 Seasons and Thalasso are recommended. However, if you are looking for an authentic experience without mosquito control or air conditioning then the small inns on Fakarava run by local Polynesians like Ato Lissant should hit the spot. The European ambiance in the Sofitel Moorea attracts some as well including myself.

I am a self confessed PG lover, 13 cruises later but will be giving Oceania another chance as we have booked Marina’s Amazon cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Emdee said:

A thousand plus men and women dancing in perfect synchronization in the Tahiti Heiva is a stunning sight . 

Emdee. I get it now!!! Someone has been posting about Heiva on the Pacific Islands board for a few years. I didn't understand the big deal. Have had amazing dancers in a huge troop etc in the show on Wind Star. But wow, 1000+ dancers- I'm going to make a trip work around it. Sounds incredible.

• Like 1

The whole atmosphere is great. They have stalls for local products, food, Tifaifai quilts etc. No cameras allowed in the Tahiti Heiva dance show but they allowed us in BB. The PG had special tenders to return late at night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emdee said:

The whole atmosphere is great. They have stalls for local products, food, Tifaifai quilts etc. No cameras allowed in the Tahiti Heiva dance show but they allowed us in BB. The PG had special tenders to return late at night.

When does it run?

Five trips to FP my most favorite place on earth: 1. Seabourn  2.  2x on Paul Gauguin 3.  Marina  4. Intercontinental Bora Bora  5.  St. Regis Bora Bora

Just returned from the Paul Gauguin.  The ship is showing its age (we were in one of the 4 staterooms that had been redone).  The food was not as good as Oceania and certainly Seabourn.  But really no major complaints.  The strong point of the PG was is employees - they really shine! 

My personal choice would be a land based experience.  Those over-the-water bungalows are amazing.  

Can't wait to return to FP!

On 6/13/2019 at 4:09 PM, Tutuma said:

Five trips to FP my most favorite place on earth: 1. Seabourn  2.  2x on Paul Gauguin 3.  Marina  4. Intercontinental Bora Bora  5.  St. Regis Bora Bora

Just returned from the Paul Gauguin.  The ship is showing its age (we were in one of the 4 staterooms that had been redone).  The food was not as good as Oceania and certainly Seabourn.  But really no major complaints.  The strong point of the PG was is employees - they really shine! 

My personal choice would be a land based experience.  Those over-the-water bungalows are amazing.  

Can't wait to return to FP!

I think they have scheduled a refurb in 2020. 

The staff are everything.

Enjoyed our OWBs but the food wasnt great.

Yes, the Paul Gauguin is scheduled for a dry dock in 2020, but not 100% sure what is going to be done. 

We just got back from a 7-night itinerary and loved it. Our Deck 8 cabin was perfect and I can't really imagine how it could have been improved except maybe by replacing the tub/shower with a walk-in shower, but then some people want tubs, so you can't please everyone. 

Is the Gauguin the most modern ship afloat? No. But the appeal isn't the ship itself, it's the itinerary, the crew, and the beauty of French Polynesia. The advantage of PG is they sail there year-round, so you can go whenever you want versus having to conform to when the larger cruise lines choose to sail to that region - which often is when the weather there is not as good. The PG had everything we needed and more. We loved it!