"facial recognition" at port Everglades?

39august

How does this work, please? Must you have posted a picture on your check-in? We never do that, as we are not very tech savvy. Looks like we probably will not be able to print an Xpress pass as it is currently locked up for some reason and CC tells us it is an IT problem. I know we don't have to have this to board. But if "facial recognition" would be a faster option, I'm all for it.

1 hour ago, 39august said:

How does this work, please? Must you have posted a picture on your check-in? We never do that, as we are not very tech savvy. Looks like we probably will not be able to print an Xpress pass as it is currently locked up for some reason and CC tells us it is an IT problem. I know we don't have to have this to board. But if "facial recognition" would be a faster option, I'm all for it.

If you have submitted a picture, you can go to the facial recognition stations, where you will look at a screen that maps your face and makes sure you are you. We submitted pictures for different cruises - it didn't like a couple of our pictures at the port (both times I was waved through and my DH sent to another person close by).  My DH had his picture taken after they saw his passport and was sent on his way. We were both done around the same time and boarded immediately. Amazingly quick process!

In the suite area, you can sit in comfort and agents wander through checking passports and taking pictures as needed. When the ship was cleared, we were ready to board.

3 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

Past Silhouette cruise this was done in the return, at  immigration and customs, we don't show our passports and visas, we walked straight to the airport shuttle.

Yes, the debarkation was so fast, if you had nothing to declare. Grab your suitcases and walk out.

4 minutes ago, 39august said:

So we need to submit pictures with check in. Too bad we didn't do so for July cruise. We will try it for the Sept. cruise. 

They will take it for you, just like they have always done, so no need to submit one online, if you prefer not to do so.

I think there are two separate issues here.  One is the use of facial recognition for embarkation purposes which is really not a big deal.  Rather then having to have a picture taken at the port (or as you board the ship) this can be done in advance (with some lines).  It truly is not a big deal but can be a slight time saver.  But Passports (or other ID) will still need to be verified at embarkation.

The second issue is much more interesting and controversial.  It is the use, by various government agencies (including CBP) of facial recognition software to enhance their clearance procedures.  This issue is soon going to be the topic of some Congressional Hearings which will focus on the benefits of facial recognition vs privacy.  Consider that last week we were on a Celebrity cruise which had to be cleared in Boston after a cruise to the very dangerous island of Bermuda :).  Several hours were spent, after arrival, having every cruise passenger (about 2200 folks) present themselves for a face-to-face meeting with a CBP Agent located in one of the on-board lounges.  The agent simply took our Passport, held it up and compared the photo to our face.  This took about 10 seconds....after which he waved us through :).  This was facial recognition by a human.  But the same thing can now be accomplished by a camera and facial recognition software...and done in real time with no delays.

Hank

1 hour ago, 39august said:

You will need to do paperwork at port without an exp pass.  Maybe X can try harder to assist?

For facial recognition..., no need to upload a photo ahead .  We did not.

The USA passport was scanned and photo taken  by the rep, while we were standing  at the pier...gen admission area,  A bit ad hoc but takes no time at all,

When you disembark at immig point,  they check facial recog data base.  If all is well,  away you go,,,

2 hours ago, 39august said:

Thanks for all the great info. If we are able to print the Xpass before our boarding date, we will definitely do the facial recognition line.  

I loved the facial recognition feature.  It was funny because I had an accident onboard and ended up with stitches and bruising on my forehead, a split lip with steri-strips, a cracked nose with steri-strips and a swollen bruised jaw. I assumed the facial recognition wouldn't recognize me when leaving a couple of days later, but it did. I guess all my facial measurements stayed the same so I was good to go. 🙂

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Itsaslice said:

I hope someone has the answer to this question: Does the picture taken at embarkation (by the ship's staff) have facial recognition technology embedded in it? Just wondered.

Thanks

On the ships that are using facial recognition, I believe so.  My DH needed his picture retaken upon embarkation (it didn't like the picture we had provided) and he was waved off the easily with a facial recognition screen at disembarkation (no need to go through Customs).

Edited by vtcruising

6 hours ago, vtcruising said:

On the ships that are using facial recognition, I believe so.  My DH needed his picture retaken upon embarkation (it didn't like the picture we had provided) and he was waved off the easily with a facial recognition screen at disembarkation (no need to go through Customs).

Thank you.

Edited by Itsaslice
Removed incomplete thought

On 8/8/2019 at 10:14 AM, Itsaslice said:

I hope someone has the answer to this question: Does the picture taken at embarkation (by the ship's staff) have facial recognition technology embedded in it? Just wondered.

Thanks

See Post #8

The photo is from your passport, not the cruise line.