Iceland/Norway needs

We're traveling to Iceland and Norway mid-June to early July.  Will we need insect repellant for any reason?  I assume we should bring sunscreen--or is this an incorrect assumption?  Does anyone bring binoculars (we are not going bird-watching so it would be only for scenery)?  Any other esoteric things we need to pack beyond standard-cruise and rainy/windy items?

Considering the sun doesn't set in that area around the time you are going (if you go North enough, if not - the sun is still out there a very long time)- yes, bring sunscreen. Especially for the face.

Dress in layers. I wore jeans and windbreakers for most of my time in Norway.

If you have ever been to Alaska - packing is similar. I did not need bug spray for Norway.

Edited by Coral

19 hours ago, perlgirlnj said:

e're traveling to Iceland and Norway mid-June to early July.  Will we need insect repellant for any reason?  I assume we should bring sunscreen--or is this an incorrect assumption?  Does anyone bring binoculars (we are not going bird-watching so it would be only for scenery)?

The answer might depend on how far north in Norway - anyway I have never used insect repellant - nor a head net - when cruising in Norway or Iceland.

I would bring sunscreen and use if it sitting on the deck in the sun but not for excursions - better to bring water proof windbreaker, gloves and a hat.

Expect rain and temperatures might be as low as 40 to 55 F in June/July - however sun might shine the entire night if above the Arctic Circle in Norway.

9 hours ago, hallasm said:

The answer might depend on how far north in Norway - anyway I have never used insect repellant - nor a head net - when cruising in Norway or Iceland.

I would bring sunscreen and use if it sitting on the deck in the sun but not for excursions - better to bring water proof windbreaker, gloves and a hat.

Expect rain and temperatures might be as low as 40 to 55 F in June/July - however sun might shine the entire night if above the Arctic Circle in Norway.

I had a lot of boat excursions and used sunscreen for that. So glad I did.

A lot of women's moisturizers have sunscreen in them.

We just came back from Iceland last week.  Sunny weather for our days, but away from Reykjavik, the wind could be quite strong and cool.  We live on west coast of Canada and dressed in layers, with a windbreaker/rainjacket as the outer layer.  At various times during the day off it came and back on for cool winds.  People from southern areas may need more layers.  Remember your sunglasses and moisturizer and a hat for the cool air.  I did not use sunscreen and only experienced a little wind burn while walking in an extremely windy area. I only used gloves when walking on the glacier, but people from southern areas may find it a bit more cool than we did.  We took way more warm clothes than we needed for beginning of June.

A couple of years ago I got sunburned in Reykjavik because of the total number of hours of sunlight, not the intensity of the light. If you sunburn easily, plan to use sunscreen, wear a hat, or whatever you might need.

The temperature in Iceland in the summer is often such that, if you are out of the wind, it is too warm to wear a jacket but may still be slightly too cool without one.

• Like 1