Bringing wine and bottled water on cruise

9 hours ago, cpl100 said:

Thank you for asking this question.  I have a subsequent question.  Can I then bring additional water while at a port mid-way during the cruise?  Or is it embarkation only?  Thank you.

The rule is embarkation day only, but your experience may vary.

10 hours ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

why would anyone carry on water when it is free on board? I have always wondered this and why people bring food on. 

The water dispensed from any tap on board, which includes the copious amount served by the assistant waiter during dinner, is all desalinated sea water.

The onboard desalination plant does just that - it takes out all the salt in the water and any impurities as well. However, the resultant liquid is undrinkable, being bitter and very bland. Therefore, certain chemicals, including sodium (salt) are added - the trouble is that every onboard desalinated water I have tested contains a huge amount of salt, way above the daily recommended safe intake for anybody that has medical problems, such as a heart complaint.

The onboard water is also one of the main reasons that passengers ankles swell up.

The bottled water we drink and take on a cruise is Highland Spring, which has a low 5.6 sodium content. The desalinated water I have tested has a reading of over 50.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peterhof said:

The water dispensed from any tap on board, which includes the copious amount served by the assistant waiter during dinner, is all desalinated sea water.

The onboard desalination plant does just that - it takes out all the salt in the water and any impurities as well. However, the resultant liquid is undrinkable, being bitter and very bland. Therefore, certain chemicals, including sodium (salt) are added - the trouble is that every onboard desalinated water I have tested contains a huge amount of salt, way above the daily recommended safe intake for anybody that has medical problems, such as a heart complaint.

The onboard water is also one of the main reasons that passengers ankles swell up.

The bottled water we drink and take on a cruise is Highland Spring, which has a low 5.6 sodium content. The desalinated water I have tested has a reading of over 50.

Sorry but they do not add salt to the water.  The reason that you get swelling is not salt added to the water but a combination of heavily salted foods and the fact that as you stated they remove all minerals from the water.  The absence of potassium can cause your legs and ankles to swell.

36 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Sorry but they do not add salt to the water.  The reason that you get swelling is not salt added to the water but a combination of heavily salted foods and the fact that as you stated they remove all minerals from the water.  The absence of potassium can cause your legs and ankles to swell.

Utter rubbish - Salt (sodium) is definatey added to desalinated cruise ship water, along with clorine, believe it or not!

1 minute ago, peterhof said:

Utter rubbish - Salt (sodium) is definatey added to desalinated cruise ship water, along with clorine, believe it or not!

Chlorine yes salt no.  You can disagree with the chief engineer who has spent most of his life on ships and who posts here regularly.

• Like 1

People have been happily drinking the ship’s water for years before anyone thought about drinking bottled water. I think it tastes just fine - which is more than I can say for my water at home (to drink that I need a Brita filter). If you drink coffee or tea or anything with ice cubes, you are drinking the ship’s water. All of the soups and other foods on board are prepared with it as well. 

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Chlorine yes salt no.  You can disagree with the chief engineer who has spent most of his life on ships and who posts here regularly.

Here is where he describes the process. 

no where does he say salt is added. Given his history, I think he probably knows what he is talking about. 

1 hour ago, gerif said:

People have been happily drinking the ship’s water for years before anyone thought about drinking bottled water. I think it tastes just fine - which is more than I can say for my water at home (to drink that I need a Brita filter). If you drink coffee or tea or anything with ice cubes, you are drinking the ship’s water. All of the soups and other foods on board are prepared with it as well. 

Why do people pay to eat when there are tons of free food options? Because that’s what works for them. I know someone that only drinks a certain brand of bottled water. Doesn’t affect me so I don’t care. 

I dont drink my own tap own tap water because it has a funny taste to me. But I do use it to cook with because when it’s used in food you don’t notice the funny taste. I’m sure the same though process is why people like bottled water on the ships. 

Thanks, everyone, for all the information.  We always bring bottled water ashore to make sure we stay hydrated.  I am OK with the ship's water in a small reusable bottle.  My hubby doesn't drink the ship's water.  To each his own.  If he wants to go through the hassle of carrying it aboard, so be it.  I am more concerned about the wine.  🤗

Turns out I have had ankle swelling on our cruises in the last years.  It is part of getting older. 🙁  Some have said it was the water, others say it is the food.  I rarely use salt when I cook for health reasons.  So I am thinking it might be the salt in the food.  Tastes yummier, but not as good for the body.  

And get ready to laugh.  I saw a post saying that she bought the Deluxe Beverage Package, buy one get one 50% off.  When I do the math it might be a better alternative.  I will keep an eye on the beverage packages for our cruise.  If not, I am thankful to all of you for the information.  Have a Happy Father's Day!!😃😃

11 hours ago, peterhof said:

wow. I knew it was sea water but you are right about the ankles!