"Preferred" cruise line for Canada / New England

cabland

Hello All,

So last year my extended family and I took our first cruise to Alaska.  At that time, I researched the requisite 3.2 million hours and landed on Holland America as our desired cruise line.  Both Princess and Holland America seemed to have a strong Alaska presence, access to Glacier Bay, no tendering at ports, etc.  I also liked that the Nieuw Amsterdam wasn't THAT old AND had been recently refurbished (6 months prior).  All told we had a great time and really enjoyed the ship, ports, and excursions.

Anyway, we are now considering a New England/Canada cruise and I'd like to know if there are any lines with "better access" or "itineraries" in your opinions.  From the research I have done so far, it actually seems like Holland America has some of the better routes and they can go all the way to Montreal (if we decide that is important).  We know places like Quebec City and Bar Harbor are must.  The "downsides" for Holland America this time around are the MUCH older and smaller ships (the latter does allow them to get to Montreal of course as they can get under one of the bridges I believe).  Indeed, "older ships" seems to be somewhat the norm for these New England/Canada cruises.

Anyway, happy to hear your thoughts!

I have done on Grandeur out of Baltimore which is pretty good 9-day itinerary but doesn't go to Quebec. Because I love Quebec and travel there on vacation it's not important to me as a cruise port but definitely a gorgeous, historical city and one that can be explored (well the Old City, not entire area) on the itineraries that overnight there.  If you've never been I'd choose an itinerary that includes that city

On 6/16/2019 at 10:35 AM, cabland said:

Hello All,

So last year my extended family and I took our first cruise to Alaska.  At that time, I researched the requisite 3.2 million hours and landed on Holland America as our desired cruise line.  Both Princess and Holland America seemed to have a strong Alaska presence, access to Glacier Bay, no tendering at ports, etc.  I also liked that the Nieuw Amsterdam wasn't THAT old AND had been recently refurbished (6 months prior).  All told we had a great time and really enjoyed the ship, ports, and excursions.

Anyway, we are now considering a New England/Canada cruise and I'd like to know if there are any lines with "better access" or "itineraries" in your opinions.  From the research I have done so far, it actually seems like Holland America has some of the better routes and they can go all the way to Montreal (if we decide that is important).  We know places like Quebec City and Bar Harbor are must.  The "downsides" for Holland America this time around are the MUCH older and smaller ships (the latter does allow them to get to Montreal of course as they can get under one of the bridges I believe).  Indeed, "older ships" seems to be somewhat the norm for these New England/Canada cruises.

Anyway, happy to hear your thoughts!

The Snowbird Migration cruise by R CI goes from Quebec City (2days) to Fort Lauderdale - 13 days

We did a 14-nt RT Can-NE cruise out of New York (acutally Bayonne NJ)-Quebec City-New York in Sep. 2015 on Celebrity Summit.  It was a good itinerary and pretty much included every port we wanted to visit.  We had an overnite in QC which allowed us to do multiple things while there.  That ship was refurbished a few years later (it needed it!), especially the buffet upstairs.  So that's another possibility for you to consider, esp. if you want a smaller ship (it carries about 2,000 pax).