Global Entry Renewal

dwlmg

I could not find a general topic forum where this appropriate so I will post here.  It is posted to provide a heads up on extended processing time for renewals. 

On May 19, I submitted a renewal application for Global Entry (mine expires in August).  I have heard nothing and the Trusted Traveler web site only shows Pending Review. I finally found a method to contact DHS about the delay.  Here is an extract from their response.

"If your application status is "Pending Review" then your application has been received and is being processed.  Please note that processing times vary by applicant, but on average you can expect your application to be processed:

•    Global Entry/FAST: up to 11 weeks
•    NEXUS: 3-5 months
•    SENTRI: 8 to 10 months

This includes vehicle enrollments.  Again, these are average times - your application may take a shorter or longer time to process depending on what the vetting center determines, not when it was submitted. The vetting process cannot be expedited.

If you have submitted a paper NEXUS application, you will be mailed a letter by CBSA.  Please contact them directly for further assistance: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/menu-eng.html 

If you submit a renewal application before April 17, 2019 (before your current membership expires) you can continue to use your benefits (up to 6 months past the expiration date) until the renewal is finalized. We recommend you print out a copy of your TTP Dashboard showing that the renewal is pending to show a CBP Officer, if requested.

If you submit a renewal application on or after April 17, 2019 (before your current membership expires) or if you are current in the 6 month grace period, then you can continue to use your benefits (up to 1 year past the expiration date) until the renewal is finalized.  We recommend you print out a copy of your TTP Dashboard showing that the renewal is pending to show a CBP Officer, if requested.

A follow-up interview may be required upon renewal.  This is determined by the vetting center and the determination cannot be appealed."

It is noted my credit card was charged immediately.  I wonder if a TSA-Pre officer will accept a printout of the dashboard as evidence that I am entitled to use TSA-Pre. I bet not. 

The delay is attributed to a backlog associated with the government shut-down.  I think they gutted the staff doing this to send them to the boarder.

I just did my GE renewal a couple months ago and they were warning of a backlog associated with  the government shutdown. I got my new card in about 6 weeks. DH on the other hand, is still waiting for his but that is due to a name issue. They issued his original GE without 'Jr." suffix even though his passport has Jr.

The renewal would not go through and he had to phone the local office to sort it out.

Barring any issues, my experience is that you will get your new card before the old one expires in August.

I can't give any guidance regarding TSA officers accepting the screenshot showing Pending status. At my home airport you have to pass by the gatekeeper at security before you are allowed to enter the Pre-Check security line.

Once you hit 77 days since your application for renewal was accepted, you can call and request an escalation of your application.  I'm at 70 days since mine was accepted, so you can bet I'll be on the phone to request an escalation.  From what I hear, if you have less "common" name, your application is approved quicker because there aren't as many duplicate names on the FBI watch list.

We got ours fairly quickly, especially the contingent approval (which included the preCheck number to enter on our airline record).  We already had preCheck, but when it came up for renewal we upgraded to Global Entry, which may have made the process quicker.  The other thing we did was follow the suggestion to do our interview at the airport when we returned from international travel.  The process went very smoothly (at ATL airport) and only took about 5 minutes.  No need for an appointment or anything.  And, we basically skipped to the head of the passport control line for the interview.  All in all, a good experience without having to make a separate trip down to the airport for an interview.  

On 6/17/2019 at 9:06 PM, Philly Kate said:

Once you hit 77 days since your application for renewal was accepted, you can call and request an escalation of your application.  I'm at 70 days since mine was accepted, so you can bet I'll be on the phone to request an escalation.  From what I hear, if you have less "common" name, your application is approved quicker because there aren't as many duplicate names on the FBI watch list.

Good information from everyone here.  Given ours expire next July, I will try to start the process of renewal early, as we will be sailing in Europe not too long afterwards.

Additional question on renewal:   If you apply for a renewal and are accepted, does the renewal period start when the previous Global Entry expired, or does it begin immediately?  Does anyone know who had theirs renewed?  As an example, if my current Global Entry expires July 31, 2020 and I start the renewal process a bit early to make certain it gets done, and then I get accepted/renewed on let's say March 31, 2020 - does the renewal period then begin in July or in March?

27 minutes ago, millybess said:

Our Global Entry always expires on our birthday 5 years after renewal. 

Thank you!  I just checked with US Global Entry and ours is the same way - expires on birthday 5 years after application accepted.  It also says that you cannot even begin to renew until less than one year ahead of expiration.

5 hours ago, prudence passenger said:

Anyone try CLEAR yet? Thinking it may help tremendously to get through security long lines at international departure at JFK during busy busy summer months

judi

5 hours ago, philw1776 said:

CLEAR is quite expensive & per year so not gonna try it.  Interested in anyone who has subscribed as to advantages.

Here is a current thread on the HAL site.  A few folks have commented about CLEAR.  No exactly ringing endorsements.

Edited by RJ2002

Thanks for the link, I only saw one comment regarding  Clear

we travel a great deal, so would use Clear more than just trip this summer to UK, I have found Global Entry to be worth every penny, and we did get refund for our renewal this time through our travel credit card, so even better 🙂

judi

I don’t have Global Entry, but I do have NEXUS.  Mine expires in July.  

In Feb., I resubmitted my application.  This is my second renewal.  It took until May to get a pending approval, and an invitation to reinterview.  Earliest date for interview I could get was July 1.  This is at the Blaine facility in WA.   My first renewal was just submitting an application and paying, no interview.  Renew time, about 2 months.

DH’s NEXUS expired last year on his birthday and he had comparable delays (which was why I started 5 months before mine expired).  However, he was informed that if he was still being processed and had not yet received his new card, his expired old card can still be used and he did use it.

I was a charter member of CLEAR and, for the 13 years that I lived near Orlando, found it very useful. Great staff. You still had to take your shoes off and laptop out but it typically only 2-5 minutes to clear TSA. I moved to Chicago 4 years ago and it is not available here so I let my membership drop. Four years ago the cost was about $125/year and $10 per person for each family member. They are always running promotions to join for $50-$90 the first year. I found it especially useful when I took business trips to the Asia/Pacific Rim. When returning through SFO where after clearing Customs I had to re-enter through security. If I had a tight connection back to Orlando, CLEAR was a lifesaver. 

Jack