What Chance of a Reduced Price Upgrade?

tring

22 minutes ago, daiB said:

Not sure how you come to the conclusion about OBC reducing. The amounts we are getting compare very well with what we have had in the past. Eg on Iona in March 21 we have nearly £300 for the cabin. Then we add our shareholder amount to give us £450. This is for a 2 week cruise. We have the same for the second of the back to back cruises.

Only on a couple of occasions have we had a great deal more than this. As we have no tips to pay and don’t do many trips, we will not have much of a bill at the end of the cruise

I can only go by my own experiences Dai and I neither book as early as you nor do I generally book suites, at least not often on P&O.

I think however that there was a thread earlier this year where a lot of people commented on the reduced OBC and had their own theories as to why eg the tips being made inclusive.

1 hour ago, daiB said:

Jan 21 cruises went on sale in March this year not Jan. That s when we booked Iona for March 21.

I will agree that for a long cruise it is important to get things as you want them

Sorry, got my dates wrong.  We actually booked at the end of March, and the prices have shut up in the interim. The suites are already sold out, not that we could have afforded one!

46 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I can only go by my own experiences Dai and I neither book as early as you nor do I generally book suites, at least not often on P&O.

I think however that there was a thread earlier this year where a lot of people commented on the reduced OBC and had their own theories as to why eg the tips being made inclusive.

People were commenting on how they thought th OBC would go down but it has not. We are on Ventura for our long cruise to the Caribbean in Jan. We are not in a suite but still have a very large amount of OBC. Because we cruise so often it is something I pay attention to.

Just  looked and we have £550 + S/H of £150 so £700 and no tips and no trips. 

There is is no way OBC has reduced to cover tips.

Remember the deal on OBC is OBC or car parking or coach travel. That has not changed for years. Occasionally you got extra OBC as an incentive. Usually after the fare had go up by more than the extra OBC

Edited by daiB

37 minutes ago, daiB said:

People were commenting on how they thought th OBC would go down but it has not. We are on Ventura for our long cruise to the Caribbean in Jan. We are not in a suite but still have a very large amount of OBC. Because we cruise so often it is something I pay attention to.

Just  looked and we have £550 + S/H of £150 so £700 and no tips and no trips. 

There is is no way OBC has reduced to cover tips.

Remember the deal on OBC is OBC or car parking or coach travel. That has not changed for years. Occasionally you got extra OBC as an incentive. Usually after the fare had go up by more than the extra OBC

The thread I was thinking of was from the 9 December and contained the following comment from a regular poster,  among others.

“Having kept detailed records of the prices paid and OBC offered for all our cruises, I have found that the OBC offered since the abolition of service charges is less than comparable cruises booked previously (comparable cruise length and cabin type, booked at launch), particularly the last batch of cruises to be released. Like many others, I wasn’t naive enough to believe that the service charge revenue wouldn’t be recouped somehow (P&O is a business, after all) and OBC seems to be the main route.”

I think what you get will vary depending on the cruise, the cabin grade etc. I’m glad you have been lucky with yours - enjoy a few extra perfect serves 😀

20 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:
The thread I was thinking of was from the 9 December and contained the following comment from a regular poster,  among others.

“Having kept detailed records of the prices paid and OBC offered for all our cruises, I have found that the OBC offered since the abolition of service charges is less than comparable cruises booked previously (comparable cruise length and cabin type, booked at launch), particularly the last batch of cruises to be released. Like many others, I wasn’t naive enough to believe that the service charge revenue wouldn’t be recouped somehow (P&O is a business, after all) and OBC seems to be the main route.”

I think what you get will vary depending on the cruise, the cabin grade etc. I’m glad you have been lucky with yours - enjoy a few extra perfect serves 😀

Well still don’t think it hold true as there is still the link with car parking and coach travel. 

But it never mind you have now send my mind in a spin OBC = £450 = 4.6 perfect serves per day. I can cope with that.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I often disagree with Dai but on this point I am in agreement, I am not seeing any reduction in OBC although since I book on launch I never get the higher offers that come later. These normally kick in after the launch offer ceases and as Dai comments once the price has increased usually by more than the OBC offer.

Since the launch is now normally 18months prior to the first cruise of the new season there is plenty of time for fluid pricing to change the prices several times, and the demand for different cruises will also impact the price differently as well as the OBC offers. 

You and Dai agreeing twice in one week, what is the world coming to?

It’s always interesting to read other perspectives. It seems to come down to when and what you book,  I just had a quick look on the website at a variety of cruises with the same durations and the obc varies significantly, with some offering double what others do.

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

You and Dai agreeing twice in one week, what is the world coming to?

It’s always interesting to read other perspectives. It seems to come down to when and what you book,  I just had a quick look on the website at a variety of cruises with the same durations and the obc varies significantly, with some offering double what others do.

Yes it is worrying, but we do have enjoyment of cruising in common.

As for differing OBC amounts this is all part of fluid pricing where prices are influenced by the demand for each; cruises selling well will have higher prices and lower OBC, those with poor bookings the reverse.  This is why trying to second guess the best time to book is so difficult, however with launch discounts and prices not yet influenced by demand, I still maintain that this is the best time to book if you want the best deals.