Orange Party

outlawwillie

We were on the Zuiderdam on King's Day and I don't think I saw more than a couple people other than ourselves wearing orange. Like the number that would randomly be wearing any color on any day.

Considering we travel carry-on only I will not be bringing specialty garments that won't be worn any other time.

On the Koningsdam (June 1), it was hosted in the BB Kings Club. Waiters came around with different Dutch treats (similar if not the same as what you can get in the Grand Dutch Café) and the cruise director made a small speech. There was also a special orange cocktail on sale. The cruise director and other officers were there. There were a fair amount of people in orange, but not everyone. 

Lots of people were dancing after the people from the bar hop earlier ended up at the Orange Party and the people seemed to be having a blast! It's a fun event but nothing big. It's confined to the BB Kings Club.

We were on Maasdam in Alaska in May, and the Orange Party was in one of the bars at 9.30 one night at the end of the voyage. We would've liked to have gone, but we're early risers, so...

We were disappointed that it seemed to be more of a drinking party. 

On 6/17/2019 at 9:48 PM, simplyrubies said:

On the Koningsdam (June 1), it was hosted in the BB Kings Club. Waiters came around with different Dutch treats (similar if not the same as what you can get in the Grand Dutch Café) and the cruise director made a small speech. There was also a special orange cocktail on sale. The cruise director and other officers were there. There were a fair amount of people in orange, but not everyone. 

Lots of people were dancing after the people from the bar hop earlier ended up at the Orange Party and the people seemed to be having a blast! It's a fun event but nothing big. It's confined to the BB Kings Club.

Just off the Maasdam and our experience was much the same except the Orange Party took place in the Crow's Nest. There was a bar hop beforehand but I don't believe too many of the party attendees did the bar hop so not a drunken affair. As I recall, there was an early port the next morning so I thought it could've been scheduled better, like the night before a sea day. But it was the most active I saw the Crow's Nest that late at night the whole cruise. Crew also passed out a limited amount of orange beads and glow necklaces. No obligation to wear orange.

On a recent Nieuw Statendam sailing, there was an Orange Party listed for 9:45pm in the BB King’s Blues venue.  A few minutes before BB Kings’ set was to end (9:20pm ish), the CD showed up and there was an awkward transition.  He took over, wearing a party hat and big orange glasses, and invited people to come join him in line dancing to YMCA with other songs to follow.

No one ever explained what the Orange Party was to be.  There was no entertainment that evening (likely due to health issues with Step Dance members).  The only mention of the Party I heard, other than the When and Where listing, was when the EXC Guide mentioned the “celebration of Dutch heritage”, but no explanation of what to expect or what it was all about.  I did not receive a pre-sailing email. I left around 9:45pm, so don’t know if there was special food.  

Edited by syesmar