Edge Cabin - Help us choose!

travellovers2

I think it depends in part upon cost differential and location.

There are ocean views near the bow (check out post #20 Ocean view across the bow). There are others along the side... which look a lot like an IV cabin... but without the veranda area. ... same link see $29.

If you go with an IV cabin... check out deck plans and avoid those cabins immediately next to sections that jut out... those will be partially obstructed. E4 tend to either have lifeboats impacting the view a tad... so you might want to avoid those. But truth be told...if you don't plan on spending a lot of time in your cabin.. you may not mind a bit of an obstruction if it saves you a few hundred $. I personally liked IV cabin... loved laying in bed with window open listening to the ocean... but DH did not like it when the captain locked the windows for cleaning while in port.

• Thanks 1

Suggest you read the EDGE reviews on CC and also use the search feature.. and the EDGE sticky at top of the page.

We  liked the IV on deck 9 AQ Class..... we kept the bifolds open and faced the chairs inward...It made the cabin larger and was more like a florida rm or sunroom...The big window let in light and  opened fine for  taking photos or looking out, but we never really sat  in the IV facing the sea looking out..not practical. And we had no meals out there like on a reg balcony.

Trying a Sunset Veranda next...

Edited by hcat

Depends on price. We have stayed in a IV & would not pay more for the IV.  We booked a Panoramic OV for a Edge Cruise next year.  2 days later a C2 was the same price so we moved.  We didn't hate the IV just found we rarely put down the window down because it isn’t at all like sitting on a balcony, so why pay more.

Personally I wouldn't book the Panoramic View, if I could choose an Infinite Veranda. I would be distracted by view of lifeboats in a Panoramic Ocean View (they are all on deck 6). The Ocean Views on Deck 3 have generally been well-liked generally (though smaller windows) and the forward Ocean Views are nice because they are bigger with large windows.

If you want a traditional veranda the Sunset Verandas are usually cheaper than the Infinite Verandas, but if you want either IV or PO, I would go with the IV. Having the option to have the window down is very nice, with a seating area. The PO is smaller and doesn't have the seating area and window that drops and I believe they all have a lifeboat view. This is one that I saw.

image.thumb.png.0e7618e5d246f5388c9a0d05065d2f03.png

Obstructed cabin list is below (PO and IO are the same thing):

The cabin above is not on the list, just those where the lifeboat protrudes up to block part of the view. About half of the Panoramic View cabins are listed as partially obstructed.

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/EDGE_Percent_Obstructed_View.pdf

As kearney said you would still need to be careful where the IV was as well, if that is what you choose. Some locations are better than others.🙂

Edited by vtcruising

Thank you for all your replies!

We're leaning towards the infinite veranda 8244. We just want to make sure we're not close to the magic carpet and not have an obstructed view. We love to take photos as we arrive in port so brining down the veranda is a big plus. This one is not listed on the obstructed cabin list. So are we making a good choice? 

This is our first cruise being Elite, should we choose wifi and prepaid tips for the 2 perks since we have drinks included? Free drinks for Elite is only during happy hour at a specific place or any lounge we choose? We have a travel pass on our phones, the only concern is if it will work on the ship. The prepaid tips would be $319, so I'm not sure if it's worth it paying extra for something we may not need. The only pros is that we have a refundable deposit.  Any advice on this?

I have read a lot about the Edge, but the 4 main dining restaurants is confusing because some people mentioned that they had made reservations in all 4. If we choose a late seating does this mean we are assigned to all 4 restaurants rotating our nights (Disney style) or one specific restaurant every night? If we get assigned to only one, is it best to do anytime dining and go to all 4? 

We will be on the Edge for 11 nights, so we want to make sure we make the right choices. Thank you for your help! 

34 minutes ago, travellovers2 said:

We're leaning towards the infinite veranda 8244. We just want to make sure we're not close to the magic carpet and not have an obstructed view. We love to take photos as we arrive in port so brining down the veranda is a big plus. This one is not listed on the obstructed cabin list. So are we making a good choice? 

This is our first cruise being Elite, should we choose wifi and prepaid tips for the 2 perks since we have drinks included? Free drinks for Elite is only during happy hour at a specific place or any lounge we choose? We have a travel pass on our phones, the only concern is if it will work on the ship. The prepaid tips would be $319, so I'm not sure if it's worth it paying extra for something we may not need. The only pros is that we have a refundable deposit.  Any advice on this?

I have read a lot about the Edge, but the 4 main dining restaurants is confusing because some people mentioned that they had made reservations in all 4. If we choose a late seating does this mean we are assigned to all 4 restaurants rotating our nights (Disney style) or one specific restaurant every night? If we get assigned to only one, is it best to do anytime dining and go to all 4? 

We will be on the Edge for 11 nights, so we want to make sure we make the right choices. Thank you for your help! 

As I understand it, if you have fixed dining you are assigned to one of the 4 dining rooms. If you choose select, you may make reservations in any of them.

1 hour ago, travellovers2 said:

8244 looks great. It is on a bump out so no obstructions or major overhangs. It is near the elevators. You should be able to see the Magic Carpet from the rail of your veranda, but not be so close to hear any noise. The bed is likely near the bathroom (a few have been different than the deck plans).

The Elite cocktail hour is usually unlimited from 5-7 in most bars/lounges (and they usually have a dedicated lounge if people prefer that so that they can meet with other Elites). Do you have a drink package? If not, that is the perk that is worth the most (about $779 PP on an 11 night cruise). You also will get specialty coffees, teas and coffee alcoholic drinks in Cafe al Bacio, water, sparkling water, soda, real OJ at the buffet, wine with meals, drinks throughout the ship, etc. We always take the beverage package, the $300 onboard credit (though in this case, it might be better to take gratuities at $319) and the WiFi. We put our phones on airplane mode and through the Wi-Fi we can text and email to our hearts' content. I'm not sure what the travel pass is, but it may not work on the ship. Hopefully someone will chime in.

As WOYH above said, if you choose late seating, you will be assigned one dining room. There will be a card in your room when you arrive telling you the assignment (you can try to eat in other restaurants, but not guaranteed). For a long cruise, I personally would choose Select (Anytime) Dining and try all 4 restaurants. They are all gorgeous and you might like some better than others and you can try the specialties in each. I booked all 4 for a Jan cruise and got 8:30 for each night without a problem. We can change them onboard as we need to. It is nice to have the flexibility so that if there is a show or other activity you want to do, you can switch your reservation (and you can just walk in, but might need to wait a bit).

11 nights - you are so lucky to have so much time to explore the Edge! Enjoy! 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

DINING 

We took Select Dining  for our next EDGE cruise..9 night ABC Islands.  And then immediately booked dining res in our online cruise planner  for the same time each night  (6 pm..we like early) with  2 nights in each venue .  On 1 night we have an excursion that includes dinner on shore....that location has free  wi fi 

.Suggestion:  Book early if you take the  Select option. Note that if you take Trad dining,  you may not get res times you want at the other 3 dining rms

My understanding  is that the gen nightly menu rotation  is the same for the 4 mdrs,  but each one has  irs own unique dishes

We plan to do our lunches/ brunch at the  Bistro, EDEN Cafe, sushi place, Rooftop, Buffet etc.  Also will try the Elite lite breakast in Tuscan..it was lovely! 

We were in BLU last time and are looking forward to the 4 mdr plan!

• Like 1

Thank you so much for all the information. 😊

The package that is offered as a perk is the Classic Beverage Package for 2. I have been trying to find out what that includes, but I don't see any information on the Celebrity website. Is this the one you're talking about? We like to have drinks at dinner and my DH always has wine.

I read some negative reviews about the bed being too close to the sliding doors, but we don't plan to close them, unless we have the verandah open. 

The Verizon travel pass gives me the same cellular service that I have in the US. It's $10 per day and it activates once I'm out of the US. I always use it when we travel and I will be using in on land anyways. It's paid by my employer 🙂 so I am available when I'm away. That's one of the perks of being an administrator. 😉

They have another perk that is the $150 OBO for 2, sounds like it's $75 each. 

But if the Classic Beverage Package is what you say, then we could choose that one and the prepaid gratuities.

Perks

we recently take the 2 perk plan

..booking came with obc and we get more from our BOA card points

We take the classic alcohol..covers dh beer scotch and dinner wine and  my after dinner drink . It also  Includes specialty tea, coffee, iglu, smoothies (? ,), juices..well worth it !

We also take the  grats..esp for a longer cruise 

Elite Plus gives us more internet minutes than we need..not sure what Elite gets.

Bed by infinite veranda door was great..much to our surprise. The.room felt  more spacious.

We never closed the bifolds so when dh stepped out of bed on the IV side he had enough room but it is tight.  For nighttime bathroom visits we  pack small personal flashlights..room is dark

Also the  tel has a long enough cord to switch its nightstand location.

Enjoy!.

1 hour ago, travellovers2 said:

Thank you so much for all the information. 😊

The package that is offered as a perk is the Classic Beverage Package for 2. I have been trying to find out what that includes, but I don't see any information on the Celebrity website. Is this the one you're talking about? We like to have drinks at dinner and my DH always has wine.

I read some negative reviews about the bed being too close to the sliding doors, but we don't plan to close them, unless we have the verandah open. 

The Verizon travel pass gives me the same cellular service that I have in the US. It's $10 per day and it activates once I'm out of the US. I always use it when we travel and I will be using in on land anyways. It's paid by my employer 🙂 so I am available when I'm away. That's one of the perks of being an administrator. 😉

They have another perk that is the $150 OBO for 2, sounds like it's $75 each. 

But if the Classic Beverage Package is what you say, then we could choose that one and the prepaid gratuities.

This describes the beverage packages.

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/04_25_OB_SP_BeveragePackageBrochure-V2.051518.pdf

If you choose that,  you can upgrade to Premium if you wish for $10/day plus 20% gratuity. If you have wine and drinks with dinner, I would definitely get at least the Classic. If you are fussy about drinks/wines, I would go for Premium (can do ahead of time or onboard).

The onboard credit is usually $300 total ($150 PP).

Duh, I have Travel Pass as well with Verizon. I’d forgotten what it is called. The Wi-Fi onboard the Edge is excellent - they also have a cheaper Surf plan. As Elite you will receive 90 free Wi-Fi minutes - you could always use those and then buy a plan if desired. There is a 30% Elite discount on the plans and they have some onboard specials usually.

Here is a Wi-Fi brochure:

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/16049912_CEL_Xcelerate_Trade_Flyer.pdf

it looks like you bed is by the bath so no worries about the veranda doors. There are advantages to each set up. 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

• 2 weeks later...

Go for the guaranteed infinite veranda.   Since they are conceirge class, there are really

no bad locations of rooms.   So no need to really "select" a room like (we) usually like to do.

We were assiged a midship room and its gonna be fantastic !