New York Brooklyn Flight Logistics

Tedferg

13 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Lots of good input, thanks, two remaining questions. (1) If we were to us the ferry would we have a problem getting a cab from downtown Marriott to pier 11 ? Short ride.

(2) we will stay in Manhattan for two days after cruise - any problem getting cab from terminal to midtown Manhattan ?

BTW we would use the ferry for convenience, not to save money. It does seem a car and driver for four of us plus luggage is the best deal - I just thought the ferry could be easy and attractive.

You should probably just take a cab (or Uber) to the ship from the downtown Marriott.  The Marriott is basically at the foot of the Battery Tunnel on the Manhattan side and the port in Red Hook is a short distance from the end of the tunnel on the Brooklyn side.  The Marriott is on the West Side of Manhattan and the pier for the Ferry, I believe, is on the East Side - you have to go past the entrance of the Battery Tunnel to get to the Pier from the Marriott (by the time that you got to the pier you could be through the tunnel).  The ferry will not be as convenient.  

Also, as someone mentioned above, not sure where people are getting "sketchy" from - Red Hook is a nice area.  But people seem to believe that NYC is high crime when the fact is that our crime rates is among the lowest of major cities in the US.

As noted in on of my previous posts,we have not left from the Brooklyn pier for several years. Hence, my recollection of the area near the pier was an industrial area that appeared “sketchy” to me.

Apparently gentrification has come to Red Hook.

I just looked at a real estate website to get an understanding of the neighborhood.

Several apartments,located on Van Brunt Streetare listed for sale at over a million dollars.

As to the OP’s inquiries,if it was my choice, I would stay at the Marriott Financial. Enter and arrange for a car service (Carmel orDial7) to get to the Brooklyn Pier.

By Liberty airport, I am thinking that you are referring to Newark Liberty airport (EWR) , New Jersey  The distance may be the same asJFK or LGA located in NY.

You may want to Goggle map the distance from each airport to the hotel in the Financial District.

However, considering the drive,mileage is one thing,but also is the time spent driving in rush hour traffic ,road conditions, construction etc.

I would think about hiring a car service as has been mentioned here.

Contact CarmelLimo and Dial  7 for pricing and an opinion as to which may be the better airport for you to use.

If you plan on booking the Marriott Financial Center, give them a call and get info from them regarding ground transportation their concierge uses for the hotel’s guests.

Also Princess does offer ground transport from various airports.

We have never used this service,,but it has been offered to us at the time of booking.

Not certain if it is limited to same day flight directly to the pier,or if passengers using the service need to stay at a hotel used by Princess for passengers arriving in the port city a day or two before the flight.

A call to Princess about this service may result in an easy way for you to arrange transport from an airport to a hotel.

1 hour ago, MJSailors said:

Also Princess does offer ground transport from various airports.

We have never used this service,,but it has been offered to us at the time of booking.

Not certain if it is limited to same day flight directly to the pier,or if passengers using the service need to stay at a hotel used by Princess for passengers arriving in the port city a day or two before the flight.

A call to Princess about this service may result in an easy way for you to arrange transport from an airport to a hotel.

Princess offers bus service from airport to cruise ship on day of cruise.

If booked by Princess at a hotel before the cruise (not if you booked on your own), Princess includes in the hotel pricing transportation from airport to hotel and from hotel to ship.

MJSailors and caribill, thank you for you answers.  I googled the airports and EWR is cheaper and closer to Marriott Financial Center.  I will use a car service for both ways.  I will check with the above mentioned car services.  Google shows EWR as faster than LGA in rush hour. I plan on arriving in off peak time.  Have a great day

Edited by AF-1
spelling errors

Do you recommend a car service from LGA to downtown Marriott versus the cab rank at airport ? I guess car service is a fixed price regardless of traffic etc. and driver would meet us at baggage location.

Edited by Tedferg

40 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Do you recommend a car service from LGA to downtown Marriott versus the cab rank at airport ? I guess car service is a fixed price regardless of traffic etc. and driver would meet us at baggage location.

Tedferg, you can go to either of the websites for the above mentioned car services.  You can find out up front what it will cost for your trip

• Like 1

Tedferg

I think a car service would be a good idea.

The drivers usually meet their fares at baggage and assist with getting the bags to and into the car.

Cabs are regulated at NYC area airports in that there is a dedicated taxi stand area monitored by cab directors ( for lack of a better term).

You would have to collect your bags then take them to the taxi line and wait for a cab- usually a few minutes.

I usually choose the easiest way of transport when we travel- less stress. 

I even had trouble getting super shuttle from JFK. Was told they only went into Manhattan and not Brooklyn. Took a cab instead to hotel (a day before the cruise). Day of cruise saw plenty of Super shuttles dropping off people. Maybe they came from Manhattan. After that take car service instead.

We are cruising out of Brooklyn in August. We are coming in evening before and staying at airport hotel. Will arrange for a car service to pick us up. last couple of times used Dial7 and they were really nice . They will quote a price over the phone or via internet.

11 hours ago, Tedferg said:

10 hours ago, MJSailors said:

I think a car service would be a good idea.

The drivers usually meet their fares at baggage and assist with getting the bags to and into the car.

Cabs are regulated at NYC area airports in that there is a dedicated taxi stand area monitored by cab directors ( for lack of a better term).

You would have to collect your bags then take them to the taxi line and wait for a cab- usually a few minutes.

LGA situation this past April (at least at Terminal with Southwest and United) was different due to construction. May or may not be different by the time you go there.

a) Limo services such as DIAL 7 - pick you up in a designated spot in a parking garage. You bring your luggage there. (Unless paying extra, I do not think they ever in the past helped get your luggage to the pickup area which was previously at a curb outside luggage claim.)

b) Cabs - Had to line up to take a bus to an off site location where cabs were waiting. A pain, but then the cab was not charging you while dealing with the slow traffic getting out of the airport.

On 6/24/2019 at 1:21 PM, Ep010835 said:

Anyone have thoughts on the best options to/from the cruise port to/from LGA?

We have often arrived at Red Hook at end of WB TAs and have always taken a taxi to LGA, as there's a line of taxis waiting for pax.

5 hours ago, Pia1913 said:

Does Princess transfer bus pick up at terminal 5 at JFK or do you have to go to another location?

I would assume, just like at other airports, Princess would have a rep at baggage claim and can direct you to the bus pickup location at that terminal.

23 minutes ago, caribill said:

I would assume, just like at other airports, Princess would have a rep at baggage claim and can direct you to the bus pickup location at that terminal.

Hi Bill: Always doing these things on my own, I really didn't know how it worked.  I booked the Princess transfer and they say the pickup is right outside Terminal 5.