Emerald Princess covered balcony?

pris993

Considering Emerald Princess for Panama Canal cruise, wondering if  given weather hot humid, if a covered balcony would be a good idea?  We do not like hot/humid weather a lot.  Wondering if deck 15 balconies are covered?  

Just now, pris993 said:

Considering Emerald Princess for Panama Canal cruise, wondering if  given weather hot humid, if a covered balcony would be a good idea?  We do not like hot/humid weather a lot.  Wondering if deck 15 balconies are covered?  

Yes, decks 15, 14, 12,& 11 balconies are covered. Deck 10 balconies are half covered. Mini suites on deck 9 are not covered. Cabins that face the stern of the ship have different degrees of cover.

I understand wanting to take a canal cruise. But be keenly aware that this could be the hottest, most humid trip you'll ever take.

We went in December 2015 (FLL-LAX), and the heat from Aruba to Cartagena to Panama was brutal. It finally broke when we hit the West Coast and found some air movement.

Jim

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jasbo49 said:

I understand wanting to take a canal cruise. But be keenly aware that this could be the hottest, most humid trip you'll ever take.

We went in December 2015 (FLL-LAX), and the heat from Aruba to Cartagena to Panama was brutal. It finally broke when we hit the West Coast and found some air movement.

Jim

Thanks for the info.    We actually are booked on the Coral for this November from Florida to San Francisco,  if our experience is as bad as yours it very well may be our last.     If we did one on the Emerald which is even more expensive was considering a covered balcony over a mini suite which we usually book.   We will see.  Being from San Francisco not use to hot and humid at all.   

1 hour ago, skynight said:

Yes, decks 15, 14, 12,& 11 balconies are covered. Deck 10 balconies are half covered. Mini suites on deck 9 are not covered. Cabins that face the stern of the ship have different degrees of cover.

Great this info help when I consider cabins... do think I will avoid a mini 

3 minutes ago, pris993 said:

Thanks for the info.    We actually are booked on the Coral for this November from Florida to San Francisco,  if our experience is as bad as yours it very well may be our last.     If we did one on the Emerald which is even more expensive was considering a covered balcony over a mini suite which we usually book.   We will see.  Being from San Francisco not use to hot and humid at all.   

You will enjoy it. Hot and humid yes. But it will be November when the sun is south of the equator, not directly overhead. S.F. is great. Stay a few extra nights if you can. Trivia. On your Coral Princess trip, while transiting the Panama Canal, which direction will the ship be travelling? a) east to west, b) northeast to southwest, c) southeast to northwest or d) northwest to southeast.

6 minutes ago, skynight said:

You will enjoy it. Hot and humid yes. But it will be November when the sun is south of the equator, not directly overhead. S.F. is great. Stay a few extra nights if you can. Trivia. On your Coral Princess trip, while transiting the Panama Canal, which direction will the ship be travelling? a) east to west, b) northeast to southwest, c) southeast to northwest or d) northwest to southeast.

You got me, don't know what direction... would guess b, northeast to southwest??  Which is it.  

3 hours ago, pris993 said:

You got me, don't know what direction... would guess b, northeast to southwest??  Which is it.  

d - northwest to southeast. Take a look at a google map.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Panama+Canal/@9.0582495,-79.7754964,10.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x8fab5f4b31cd492d:0xd9dd11e7a14a0960!8m2!3d9.1438034!4d-79.7285161

49 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

What?

It's the tropics. I lived there for 2 years and have taken many PC cruises. It is that way 99% of the time.  😳

Absolutely true. But I wanted the OP to know the heat and humidity in the Canal Zone is more than just numbers. We were just miserable most of the time we were outside. 

People who say, "don't worry about a balcony, you want to be out in the open decks for the passage" are living in a different world than we are. A balcony is a great place to retreat from the heat but still see.

We live in Oregon, but in the south,  where it gets into the 100s every year. But the Canal Zone was stifling.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jasbo49 said:

Absolutely true. But I wanted the OP to know the heat and humidity in the Canal Zone is more than just numbers. We were just miserable most of the time we were outside. 

People who say, "don't worry about a balcony, you want to be out in the open decks for the passage" are living in a different world than we are. A balcony is a great place to retreat from the heat but still see.

We live in Oregon, but in the south,  where it gets into the 100s every year. But the Canal Zone was stifling.

Jim

Oh I get what you said.

Just taken aback a tad by the "experience is as bad as yours" comment.

9 hours ago, BigGuy25 said:

Emerald deck mini-suites are all the way aft (on the Emerald) and totally covered.

I want one of these magical mini suites on the Emerald...there are some that are at the front and some at the back (aft).   Are the ones at the front covered too?  Or only the aft ones?   I wanted to be in the front of the ship.

20 minutes ago, MitzyG said:

I want one of these magical mini suites on the Emerald...there are some that are at the front and some at the back (aft).   Are the ones at the front covered too?  Or only the aft ones?   I wanted to be in the front of the ship.

The only mini suites on the Emerald Deck are fully covered and all the way aft.  Other mini suites are on upper decks and are terraced ... not fully covered.

Edited by BigGuy25

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:44 AM, pris993 said:

I would recommend Baja (11), Aloha (deck 12) or Riviera (deck 14) (there is no deck 13).  Riviera deck 14 has about 3-4 Ft. of extra overhang from the Lido deck, but if you choose this deck, then I recommend cabins in the aft 1/3 below the cafeterias as midships can be noisy below the pool deck.

We've done the canal on Baja and Aloha decks of ships.   The covered balconies help shade from direct sun (you'll still get some), and it is easy to pop back into your cabin for a quick cool down.  And you can strip down to swimwear if you want as the balcony won't have a lot of view from others.  

However on Emerald Princess with the tiered balconies, you will want to spend some time going through the locks on the Promenade (deck 7) outside area to get a good close-up view of what is going on.  That deck always feels cooler to us, being more open to any breeze.   Most excursions will include a stay in the raised viewing area of the first lock on the Caribbean side while a ship traverses the lock - and it is worth seeing.   On a full transit, vary your position in the ship for each set of locks for better views.

But don't do as I did and forget your sunscreen because you are onboard a ship.  I was all over the ship for different views and photos and came out looking like a lobster.   (I am a SF native, amd have fair skin.)

• Like 1

Check out R746.    It’s a wonderful location...may be exactly what you’re looking for. We had this cabin and it was really nice - lots of privacy, well covered, a bit larger than others, and close to back pool with only one flight of stairs to Horizon Court. 

Hi all! A little confused. We are on the Emerald to Hawaii next April. We are in a mini suite on Dolphin deck aft. Is the balcony covered or not? It won’t matter to us either way.  We have never been on the Emerald and we a super excited. Thanks for any info. Cheers, Jan

I would like to know as well. We are in cabin D504 and would like to know if we have some cover. We love the Caribe deck as it was half covered and big balcony. But we decided to treat ourselves this year to a mini suite. This will be the 3rd time we have been on the Emerald.

On 6/23/2019 at 11:44 AM, pris993 said:

Emerald Deck , deck 8 have covered Mini Suites.

On 6/24/2019 at 5:56 PM, MitzyG said:

Only side of ship uncovered  minis on Dolphin deck on the Emerald.

No front facing mini's.

Are you confusing these with the forward facing ones on the Royal/Regal/Majestic?