quick 40,000 UAL miles

Hawaiidan

Just a heads up  for a limited time  UAL and Chase  are offering  a 40,000 mile sign up bonus , no fee  Explorer card.  Sign up for ual FF. and then get the cards.

You do not have to fly a lot to earn miles...a fallacy   And miles do  not expire.     Worthy of thought is you ever, ever plan to fly anywhere .

If you dont have many miles or worse  none  bit would like to score a  free flight one way from or to Europe ( 30,000)

This is your chance to get into the game.        Get a CC for each person... different Cards not 2 names on one card    Going this route  will get you 80.000 miles 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

Just a heads up  for a limited time  UAL and Chase  are offering  a 40,000 mile sign up bonus , no fee  Explorer card.  Sign up for ual FF. and then get the cards.

You do not have to fly a lot to earn miles...a fallacy   And miles do  not expire.     Worthy of thought is you ever, ever plan to fly anywhere .

If you dont have many miles or worse  none  bit would like to score a  free flight one way from or to Europe ( 30,000)

This is your chance to get into the game.        Get a CC for each person... different Cards not 2 names on one card    Going this route  will get you 80.000 miles 

Can't do it if you are already a UAL FF and have the card or cards.  Good try anyway.  

3 hours ago, RJB said:

Can't do it if you are already a UAL FF and have the card or cards.  Good try anyway.  

Are you sure about that?   I recently got an Alaska card even though I had an expired one and had an active Alaska FF account.  And even though I have a United card with my name on it I believe the account is in my husband's name.  @Hawaiidanis there any minimum spend, i.e., $3k or something.  I'm going to take a look regardless.  Thanks for the headsup.

PS:  Just applied online and have been approved.  And, yes, you have to spend $2k in the first three months but that's never a problem.  So thanks a million, buddy.  Oh, and for any who don't know, you get a point/mile for every dollar you spend with the card.  And IIRC 2 for every $ you spend on UA.

Edited by clo

You forgot to mention the details: $0 intro annual fee, then $95 annually afterwards. Also,  you must spend $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Not really as good as it sounds as many cc's offer same or better offers.

15 minutes ago, mozfoz said:

You forgot to mention the details: $0 intro annual fee, then $95 annually afterwards. Also,  you must spend $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Not really as good as it sounds as many cc's offer same or better offers.

But I won't renew it after the first year.  And that $2k when used with our regular Chase Club Card would earn us 3000 point.  In addition it also give people two club passes per year.  We put everything we can on our card so it's just a matter of switching some things around for three months.  The biggest draw for me is that it will get me back up to 100k points.

I no longer bother with CC offers that give you less the 50K and preferably more.

Do you want a better offer? Sign up for a Chase Sapphire Preferred or Reserve card:

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/sapphire/Dual?CELL=6RRW&jp_cmp=cc/Sapphire+Reserve_Brand_Exact_Sapphire+Reserve_SEM_US_NA_Standard_NA/sea/p25791864816/Chase+Sapphire+Reserve&msclkid=2825326c10351038aedc6f7bed7eb762&gclid=CIvQyef0j-MCFdePxQIdYSQATw&gclsrc=ds

You get 50K points with one and 60K points with the other card (larger spend but easily met with any cruise purchase 😀).

Best of all - Reserve card earns you THREE points for every travel and food purchase and the earned points can be converted into several airline programs or hotels (not as good a deal as airline miles).

That is far superior to what the United card offers where you NEVER earn 3 miles for any purchase and get only UA miles. UA miles are getting ready to severely devaluate soon - better hurry.

I believe the insurance protection is also more generous with the Reserve card.

JMO.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I no longer bother with CC offers that give you less the 50K and preferably more.

Do you want a better offer? Sign up for a Chase Sapphire Preferred or Reserve card:

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/sapphire/Dual?CELL=6RRW&jp_cmp=cc/Sapphire+Reserve_Brand_Exact_Sapphire+Reserve_SEM_US_NA_Standard_NA/sea/p25791864816/Chase+Sapphire+Reserve&msclkid=2825326c10351038aedc6f7bed7eb762&gclid=CIvQyef0j-MCFdePxQIdYSQATw&gclsrc=ds

You get 50K points with one and 60K points with the other card (larger spend but easily met with any cruise purchase 😀).

Best of all - Reserve card earns you THREE points for every travel and food purchase and the earned points can be converted into several airline programs or hotels (not as good a deal as airline miles).

That is far superior to what the United card offers where you NEVER earn 3 miles for any purchase and get only UA miles.

I believe the insurance protection is also more generous with the Reserve card.

JMO.

But can those be used on United?  Are you on The Points Guy?  They're high on the CSR.

Oh, and our regular Chase United Club Card gives us 1.5 on every single solitary thing.  I'm just too lazy to play the game 🙂

Edited by clo

8 minutes ago, clo said:

But can those be used on United?  Are you on The Points Guy?  They're high on the CSR.

Here are the T&Cs (note all the other benefits like Priority Club pass, Global Entry, etc):

Here are the partners (highlighting not mine):

Airline Partners: Aer Lingus, Air France-KLM, British Airways, Iberia, JetBlue, Singapore Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United, Virgin Atlantic

Hotel Partners: Hyatt, InterContinental Hotel Group, Marriott, Ritz Carlton

UA miles cannot access Singapore airlines (best airline in the world) premium awards (F or J) but you can with your points converted into Singapore miles - etc, etc, etc 

Edited by Paulchili

2 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Here are the T&Cs (note all the other benefits like Priority Club pass, Global Entry, etc):

Here are the partners (highlighting not mine):

Airline Partners: Aer Lingus, Air France-KLM, British Airways, Iberia, JetBlue, Singapore Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United, Virgin Atlantic

Hotel Partners: Hyatt, InterContinental Hotel Group, Marriott, Ritz Carlton

UA miles cannot access Singapore airlines (best airline in the world) premium awards (F or J) but you can with your points converted into Singapore miles - etc, etc, etc 

Thanks, Paul.  You've given me the impetus to check it out.  The Points Guy site is so far beyond my pay grade that it just confuses me.  Cath

1 minute ago, clo said:

Thanks, Paul.  You've given me the impetus to check it out.  The Points Guy site is so far beyond my pay grade that it just confuses me.  Cath

It takes time and effort to get familiar with these "perks" but you will get rewarded.

That said, unfortunately the halcyon days of the mileage game are well behind us - it was heavenly while it lasted. It can still be done but with much greater effort and insight/experience.

3 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

It takes time and effort to get familiar with these "perks" but you will get rewarded.

That said, unfortunately the halcyon days of the mileage game are well behind us - it was heavenly while it lasted. It can still be done but with much greater effort and insight/experience.

These 'guys' that do it really look upon it as a game.  I'd call it a job.  And some say that they're earning points faster than they can use them.  And they'll go on a "points run" near year end to get the status they want.

PS: I hope this helps some people figure out the baby steps.

Edited by clo

15 minutes ago, clo said:

Thanks, Paul.  You've given me the impetus to check it out.  

Actually - there is NO comparison between the 2 cards;

Reserve gives you 3 times points for every travel and food expense.

United gives you only 2 miles but only for UA flights and food and hotels (not travel like cruises or flights on other airlines).

So - if you book a $15K cruise for the 2 of you, the Reserve card gives you 45K points (that can be 45K UA miles if you choose) and the UA card gives you only 15K UA miles. The Reserve points can be used on all 3 airlines alliances (OW, Star and Sky) - UA miles only on Star. With awards not as readily available these days that flexibility makes a huge difference. 

Travel insurance - UA card gives you $1500/person and $6000 per trip of cancelation policy; Reserve card gives you:

"Coverage is limited to up to $10,000 per trip and a maximum of $20,000 per occurrence. Total coverage is limited to $40,000 per 12-month period."

I could go on and on about the differences but you get the point. :classic_happy:

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

So - if you book a $15K cruise for the 2 of you, the Reserve card gives you 45K points (that can be 45K UA miles if you choose) and the UA card gives you only 15K UA miles.

Oh, I'm definitely going to check this out but we get 1.5 miles for every $ with the Club card.  So not as good as 45 but better than 15 🙂  Granted we pay a hefty annual fee but the lounges help (a lot at times) and checked bags, etc.  But I'm ready to change, buddy.

5 minutes ago, clo said:

but we get 1.5 miles for every $ with the Club card

That's good but the current offer gives only 1 mile for most purchases:

Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and on hotel accommodations

You’ll earn 2 miles per each $1 spent at restaurants and on hotel accommodations when purchased directly with the hotel.

Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on United purchases

You’ll earn 2 miles per each $1 spent on purchases from United, including tickets, Economy Plus®, inflight food, beverages and Wi-Fi, and other United charges. You’ll also earn 2 miles for each $1 spent on Inside Access from Chase purchases. For more information on Inside Access, please visit InsideAccess.com .

Earn 1 mile per $1 spent

You’ll earn 1 mile per each $1 spent on all other purchase

Edited by Paulchili

2 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

That's good but the current offer gives only 1 mile for most purchases:

Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and on hotel accommodations

You’ll earn 2 miles per each $1 spent at restaurants and on hotel accommodations when purchased directly with the hotel.

Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on United purchases

You’ll earn 2 miles per each $1 spent on purchases from United, including tickets, Economy Plus®, inflight food, beverages and Wi-Fi, and other United charges. You’ll also earn 2 miles for each $1 spent on Inside Access from Chase purchases. For more information on Inside Access, please visit InsideAccess.com .

Earn 1 mile per $1 spent

You’ll earn 1 mile per each $1 spent on all other purchase

Yep, that's for the Explorer card which I'd only use for $2k to get the miles.  But I am definitely going to check out CSR.

So is that ANY restaurant and ANY hotel?  McDs?  Motel 6?  (We've upgraded from that anyway!)  Most of the things you mention really aren't applicable for us...but I did recently pay for Economy Plus and 'only' got 1.5.

Yes - ANY hotel and ANY restaurant - ANY travel (including taxi fares).

What do you mean not applicable - don’t you travel and eat out?

I put everything on that card - even where I only get 1:1 - supermarket, gas, insurance, etc, etc

Edited by Paulchili

1 minute ago, Paulchili said:

No, but I surely enjoy their benefits 😁

When we signed up they offered 100K points.

I saw an Amex Delta one that was something like 75k but, even though I'm a native Atlantan, we almost never fly Delta.  BTW we used to live in Noe Valley before anyone had ever heard of it 🙂

9 minutes ago, clo said:

I saw an Amex Delta one that was something like 75k but, even though I'm a native Atlantan, we almost never fly Delta.  BTW we used to live in Noe Valley before anyone had ever heard of it 🙂

I stay away from Delta for awards

Edited by Paulchili

6 hours ago, clo said:

I don't know if the "Delta-branded" Amex is different from plain vanilla Amex cards (we have Amex Plat just in case there is anything specific to that), but the "AMEX points" can be used on ANY of the various Amex partner/network airlines.

For example, we just returned from a trip using LH (Lufthansa) F tickets, which we got by transferring Amex points to AC's plan, and using the AC points to ticket on LH.

We could have obtained those Amex points by purchasing groceries, train tickets, clothing, or travel on any airline at all.

Similarly, our other "program" is with American AAdvantage, using the linked Citi-Card.  But we've never used any of those points for travel on AA flights.  We've transferred the AA points to their partners, and flown on JL (Japan Airlines) and CX (Cathay Pacific), etc., and thus far we've always been able to get F seating.  We are almost always a bit flexible with a day or two, which obviously helps.

Between the two programs, we have access to a vast choice of airlines, with the two partner networks.

And transferring points to partner airlines can sometimes yield better rewards than using the point (AA in this case) on AA metal.  And it's *much* better than using Amex points as cash!

We find the best "value" to be on premium international travel.  

I'm not sure it this strategy works as well for lower priced tickets such as domestic economy (?).

Note:  This is valuable to us, because we no longer would fly long-haul international in coach or premium economy.  Our aging bodies do much better on flatbeds these days.  So using the cost of Business class cash costs, the "value" of the awards are considerable.  And better yet, the "extra points" needed once one is already using the points for Business, to get F class is relatively little.

GC

GeezerCouple - I am glad the Amex Plat works for you. I gave it up a long time ago.

Here are my objections to it:

1 Very high annual fee - $550

2 Earns 5X points on airline purchases. The whole point of this thread is NOT to pay for airline tickets and get them “free” with miles earned by other travel (cruises, etc) and food purchases. Also 5X points for prepaid hotels - otherwise a single point for everything else.

Also, I try not to use different cards (like Amex Plat & Citi AA) as it splits the earnings - I put almost everything on same card (Chase Reserve) to maximized the points earned.

Despite the fact that I am AA lifetime Plat I gave up on AA - essentially no AA metal awards on international flights, NO F available on CX for AA members and very few J awards - the days of using AA miles to fly CX premium are mostly in the past. Only JL F is left for rewards and how many time one flies to Japan? There is the occasional IB award available to fly to Europe(which can also be obtained with Chase card).

Also, when you get a J award with miles you cannot upgrade it to F with more miles - only paid business can be upgraded to F with miles and who wants to pay for business class tickets.

Of course, if what you are doing is working for you, keep doing it - there is more than one way to skin a cat  😊

Edited by Paulchili

37 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Also, when you get a J award with miles you cannot upgrade it to F with more miles - only paid business can be upgraded to F with miles and who wants to pay for business class tickets

A question that I hope I can phrase correctly.  I used miles for regular economy SFO/Rio and Buenos Aires/SFO.  Then paid for Economy Plus.  Is there anyway between now and December that I can get to J?  This thread may be getting quite far afield but I guess no one's complaining. PS:  The flights are to get to a cruise so I guess not too far off 🙂

Edited by clo