Half used bottles alcohol to take onboard

fastnloose

Hi cruisers,  does anyone know if I can take partially used bottles of alcohol onboard, which would add up to total of 2 litres (2 people).  I have a couple of favourites that  could do with using up, but cant find anything about this on P & O website.  Thanks everyone 

Of course you can, we just last week took two opened bottles of Bombay together with fever tree tonics.  Wrap the bottles up well, keep them in your hand luggage so they don’t get thrown about, Voila. Ready to use once in cabin!

Sometimes we don’t bother because the price from room service is good. But it is handy to have it available once in cabin. Enjoy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, silkworms said:

Of course you can, we just last week took two opened bottles of Bombay together with fever tree tonics.  Wrap the bottles up well, keep them in your hand luggage so they don’t get thrown about, Voila. Ready to use once in cabin!

Sometimes we don’t bother because the price from room service is good. But it is handy to have it available once in cabin. Enjoy.

Thanks Solkworms.  I like Pimms and my husband likes bacardi  so that will be good.  I just asked P & O the question, and  gentleman I spoke to didnt know the answer, so many thanks for that.

1 hour ago, tring said:

Just thinking that they may consider one bottle per person as the limit, even if it is only half full methinks.  No personal experience, but would make sense.

The policy says up to one litre of alcohol per person, no mention of how many containers. Anyway, the security guys are only interested in finding guns, knives etc, not bottles.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The policy says up to one litre of alcohol per person, no mention of how many containers. Anyway, the security guys are only interested in finding guns, knives etc, not bottles.  

I recently went on a Princess cruise and had three bottles of wine in my hand luggage (there were four of us in the party so less than one each - I was just carrying it for everyone). I explained to the security man as it went through the xray machine and his reply was, " You can have 12 if you want. We are security and look for different things - we don't police alcohol."

They really don't. I often take 2 smaller bottles adding up to 1.5 litres so I have my raspberry vodka AND my preferred brandy, neither of which are stocked by room service. If I want some gin/tonics as well on longer cruises I buy them from Room Service.

And if they "clamp down " (which they won't, as P and O do NOT run the Security operation, then there's always rum runners!

Unless you have to pass through the onboard security scanner at port stops,  the initial embarkation check is basically pointless as regards bottles of drink. The security guys don't care, and basically all the cruise lines can do is hope that their customers adhere to whatever drink rules they have imposed.

• 1 month later...

Yes they do rely on the majority sticking to their requested limits. Which I guess most of us do. Still while it is posted on social media what people do take on board it will encourage others to think well that will not hurt...then we will back to what it used to be..Then maybe it will be stopped altogether. 

Ref the ways of getting round it...for what I have paid for the cruise, drink from room service is not the much more than asda etc. Would I get a rubber bag (rum runner) and put alcohol in there...not sure what it does to the taste ,but no thanks i will get from room service. You pay 1000's for a cruise and have the vapours over spending £20 on a 1lt bottle on board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, the english lady said:

Yes they do rely on the majority sticking to their requested limits. Which I guess most of us do. Still while it is posted on social media what people do take on board it will encourage others to think well that will not hurt...then we will back to what it used to be..Then maybe it will be stopped altogether. 

Ref the ways of getting round it...for what I have paid for the cruise, drink from room service is not the much more than asda etc. Would I get a rubber bag (rum runner) and put alcohol in there...not sure what it does to the taste ,but no thanks i will get from room service. You pay 1000's for a cruise and have the vapours over spending £20 on a 1lt bottle on board.

Rum runners are plastic not rubber, and don't impact on the taste at all. I have used them simply because they weigh so much less than a glass bottle of my favourites. Like many, I buy most of my drinks from the bars or restaurants, but if something I like is not stocked by room Service then I'll take it in my hand luggage. Americans use rum runners in their main suitcases, on ships that don't allow you to take any alcohol onboard. Wrapped in a top or towel, they are undetectable by scanners, and as they are lightweight and the seals work very well, they work for them. If P and O were to "clamp down" on our freedom to take a reasonable amount of our favourite drink onboard, then their use would increase exponentially. And there would be nothing they could do about it, just as there is nothing Celebrity or Carnival can do about American passengers using them! Far better for P and O commercially to continue to allow drinks to be brought aboard at reasonable levels.

1 hour ago, the english lady said:

I would agree that it doesn't seem worthwhile to go over the limit on spirits. It's us poor wine drinkers that are hard done by with the current policy, and taking the odd extra bottle of red wine on board is insignificant compared to taking 2 or 3 extra bottles of gin!