Can you leave a cruise early?

Guinness1000

7 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

The last I heard, this is no longer allowed. @Jim_Iain, have you seen differently? I'm all for them changing it back, but I haven't seen that. 

I've heard they aren't allowing download boarding if you miss the cruise but I recall someone recently being allowed to leave early due to a death in the family.   

If the OP is intent on doing I would have them call 305-982-2700, which is the Emergency Services # but  also handles Downline Requests.

I have seen no mention that they have allowed this since the restart. And since no one has sailed through Victoria yet, there won’t be anyone who can say that they did it successfully. I think it’s highly unlikely that they will allow it, but you won’t know until you ask Celebrity. 

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've heard they aren't allowing download boarding if you miss the cruise but I recall someone recently being allowed to leave early due to a death in the family.   

If the OP is intent on doing I would have them call 305-982-2700, which is the Emergency Services # but  also handles Downline Requests.

An emergency situation is completely different than a preplanned downline disembarkation.  I wouldn’t draw any conclusions based on the fact that someone was allowed to leave the ship early in an emergency. And if it was recently that would’ve been in the Caribbean not on an Alaskan itinerary. Disembarking in Victoria is a whole different set of rules and regulations.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 8:33 AM, ggo85 said:

Just out of curiosity, what if the ship has arrived at its final port and the final overnight in port is part of the itinerary.  So, for example, ship pulls into its final port of Hong Kong on Tuesday.  The cruise officially ends on Wednesday.  I assume there would be no issue if you wanted to leave on Tuesday.

No issue as long as you chose a time compatible with the customs-and-immigration staff at the port. Leaving at 3:00am (to catch a 6:00am flight maybe?) might be more problematic.

Stan

59 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

An emergency situation is completely different than a preplanned downline disembarkation.  I wouldn’t draw any conclusions based on the fact that someone was allowed to leave the ship early in an emergency. And if it was recently that would’ve been in the Caribbean not on an Alaskan itinerary. Disembarking in Victoria is a whole different set of rules and regulations.

The emergency department is indeed the department that handles all downline early disembarkation requests regardless of location.     I've done it in Japan, Singapore, India and Buenos Aires.    You are correct Alaska is different than the Caribbean but the same departed handles all the requests.  

I don't portend to know if they will or will not allow but I'm sure they would give guidance.    They still haven't published protocols for our European cruises in 3 weeks. 

19 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

The emergency department is indeed the department that handles all downline early disembarkation requests regardless of location.     I've done it in Japan, Singapore, India and Buenos Aires.    You are correct Alaska is different than the Caribbean but the same departed handles all the requests.  

I don't portend to know if they will or will not allow but I'm sure they would give guidance.    They still haven't published protocols for our European cruises in 3 weeks. 

I think the point was that a death in the family is an emergency. So someone being able to leave early over this may be treated differently than someone just asking to do it because it works better for their vacation plans.

Prior to covid we left a Crystal cruise in Jan 2020….we had never left early in 55 cruises. We had to get permission from the Mexican government ..we would be getting off in Cabo…that was taken care of, we went through Mexican customs,  stayed in Cabo for a few days, and flew home. It was very simple. 

• Like 1

The key phrase there is “prior to covid”

Now, with new regulations  regarding Travel, fewer employees to coordinate exceptions, nervous governments, And complex requirements regarding entering our country as opposed to just visiting it for a day, what used to be simple is now incredibly complex. Someday it may be simple again, but it sure isn’t now

• 1 year later...
On 3/21/2022 at 4:32 PM, Fly and Sail said:

Any idea if this is still allowed under current conditions?

I'm currently booked on Solstice from Seattle and would prefer to get off on the last stop in Victoria, taking the Float Plane over to Vancouver for a social event that evening.

I know the answer will most likely be "Call Celebrity" but maybe someone has experienced this recently.

Obviously you can come up with some emergency or simply miss the ship but I don't want to give the crew on board more trouble than necessary.

FWIW I did this in Victoria on NCL Encore in May 2022. I asked when I boarded, there were no issues or charges.  I did customs on my own, being Canada they were super polite!

Each cruiseline has their own policies.  Celebrity website has an unusual explanation - in that it is perfectly clear and concise! - no deviations(downlining) are permitted with the one exception:  if you booked air through Flights by Celebrity you can join at the first possible port.

We have left several Pacific Coast cruises in Victoria in the past.  We were told absolutely NO both last year and for this year.

1 hour ago, miaminautigal said:

FWIW I did this in Victoria on NCL Encore in May 2022. I asked when I boarded, there were no issues or charges.  I did customs on my own, being Canada they were super polite!

Yep. Ended up leaving the ship in Victoria as well after it was even announced in "Celebrity Today" that passengers could disembark in Victoria. All that after hours on the phone and Celebrity telling me no. In the future, I will just plan it that way or fake a home emergency if I do want to get off.

I knew someone who did it one time in the Caribbean.  This was on Royal Caribbean.  

It was not pretty. 

Lots of pressure not to do it - by the cruise line. 

He did it, though. 

I suspect (other than legal/contract issues with different countries) there are negative consequences the cruise line could face if something should happen to said passenger once they disembarked early.

A potential PR nightmare. 

We all know how the media operates. 

"Passenger disembarks a cruise early in Mexico is murdered." 

- can easily turn into: "Passenger left in Mexico is murdered."