Escape to Bermuda - Onboard now

happyscmom

2 hours ago, 1bets1 said:

That sounds so nice. So Escape does not have a free adult area pool, just Vibe?

I was commenting on Vibe only in regards to no pool.  The Escape has an adult pool if you don't mind crowds. 

• Like 1

On Escape a couple of weeks ago we bought the 6 pack of  NCL water for about $17. (I didn’t realize it would be the NCL brand until it was delivered (my bad I didn’t ask or look at the sample when we ordered it).    I was a bit  skeptical but it  was absolutely fine.        I later noticed a bottle of Aquafina           (I think a liter) in our cabin available to purchase for $5.50 

Edited by McFins
More detail

4 minutes ago, 1bets1 said:

Do they have ice water (like at soda machines) to fill our water bottles?

They have ice dispensers, and separate (room temperature) water dispensers.

Please use a clean cup from the trays nearby to pour the ice and water into your bottles, don’t just shove your water bottle up to the dispenser outlet (to avoid contamination). 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, perditax said:

They have ice dispensers, and separate (room temperature) water dispensers.

Please use a clean cup from the trays nearby to pour the ice and water into your bottles, don’t just shove your water bottle up to the dispenser outlet (to avoid contamination). 

Always do!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, McFins said:

On Escape a couple of weeks ago we bought the 6 pack of  NCL water for about $17. (I didn’t realize it would be the NCL brand until it was delivered (my bad I didn’t ask or look at the sample when we ordered it).    I was a bit  skeptical but it  was absolutely fine.        I later noticed a bottle of Aquafina           (I think a liter) in our cabin available to purchase for $5.50 

The $5.50 a bottle water is Acqua Panna not Aquafina.

Review of Day 1 in Bermuda

This was our first trip to Bermuda, so it’s all new. We arrived at 8:00, and made our way off of the ship at about 9:00. We walked around the area by the port. There is a lot of shopping, etc. We really just wanted to get the lay of the land. We walked over to the Visitor Center and bought ferry coins for the ride to Hamilton in the evening. 

At about 11 we headed back on the ship for lunch and to get ready. 

Our Restless Native Catamaran trip met at 1:30 right near the ship. Meet up was super easy, which was a relief. We got into the boat and headed out right away. The boat is very nice, and the crew was amazing. We rode about 40 minutes to a spot right by a small beach. From there you could snorkel, kayak, float with a pool noodles, or hang on the boat. We have done a lot of snorkeling in the Caribbean, and I’ll say that the actual snorkeling was pretty disappointing. We saw only a few fish, and they were just brown fish sitting under rocks. Nothing much to see. Despite that, the excursion was awesome. We bought a few beers ($5) and grabbed noodles and just relaxed in the water. After finishing water time, they serve free rum swizzles and chocolate chip cookies on the boat. Both were great and the crew was top notch! We got back to the pier at 5. 

When we got back back we went running back to the Escape to shower and then ran back to the ferry terminal to catch the 5:45 ferry to Hamilton. It was a huge rush, but we got there right at 5:40. The line was SO LONG to get onto the Ferry. We made it on and searched for seating. We ended up stumbling into the bottom of the ferry which was pretty empty and had an air conditioned area. So, tip....go downstairs!

We got to Hamilton about 6:30. We decided to go there because of the street fair. It takes place each Wednesday during the summer. It was a bit disappointing. Most booths were things we would see at home. We ended up eating in a restaurant because the street food wasn’t too appealing. We went to a British Pub called Flannagan’s. It was pretty good. After dinner we walked around a bit and went back towards the pier. It was only about 8:20, but there was already a long line for the ferry. We waited in line until 9, got back at 10, and stood in a very long line to get back on the Escape. Overall, it was a night of lines! I would recommend skipping the Hamilton street festival. It ended up being hours of waiting for very little. 

Today we are doing “Caves and Waves,” so more later! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, happyscmom said:

Review of Day 1 in Bermuda

This was our first trip to Bermuda, so it’s all new. We arrived at 8:00, and made our way off of the ship at about 9:00. We walked around the area by the port. There is a lot of shopping, etc. We really just wanted to get the lay of the land. We walked over to the Visitor Center and bought ferry coins for the ride to Hamilton in the evening. 

At about 11 we headed back on the ship for lunch and to get ready. 

Our Restless Native Catamaran trip met at 1:30 right near the ship. Meet up was super easy, which was a relief. We got into the boat and headed out right away. The boat is very nice, and the crew was amazing. We rode about 40 minutes to a spot right by a small beach. From there you could snorkel, kayak, float with a pool noodles, or hang on the boat. We have done a lot of snorkeling in the Caribbean, and I’ll say that the actual snorkeling was pretty disappointing. We saw only a few fish, and they were just brown fish sitting under rocks. Nothing much to see. Despite that, the excursion was awesome. We bought a few beers ($5) and grabbed noodles and just relaxed in the water. After finishing water time, they serve free rum swizzles and chocolate chip cookies on the boat. Both were great and the crew was top notch! We got back to the pier at 5. 

When we got back back we went running back to the Escape to shower and then ran back to the ferry terminal to catch the 5:45 ferry to Hamilton. It was a huge rush, but we got there right at 5:40. The line was SO LONG to get onto the Ferry. We made it on and searched for seating. We ended up stumbling into the bottom of the ferry which was pretty empty and had an air conditioned area. So, tip....go downstairs!

We got to Hamilton about 6:30. We decided to go there because of the street fair. It takes place each Wednesday during the summer. It was a bit disappointing. Most booths were things we would see at home. We ended up eating in a restaurant because the street food wasn’t too appealing. We went to a British Pub called Flannagan’s. It was pretty good. After dinner we walked around a bit and went back towards the pier. It was only about 8:20, but there was already a long line for the ferry. We waited in line until 9, got back at 10, and stood in a very long line to get back on the Escape. Overall, it was a night of lines! I would recommend skipping the Hamilton street festival. It ended up being hours of waiting for very little. 

Today we are doing “Caves and Waves,” so more later! 

Hope your trip is fun today. Couldn't you have taken Norwegian's ferry, or am I mistaken?

11 hours ago, herdingdogmom said:

The $5.50 a bottle water is Acqua Panna not Aquafina.

Actually the one in our cabin with a 5.50 tag on it was indeed a plastic 1 liter bottle of Aquafina. 

Bermuda Day 2-

For day 2 in Bermuda we booked the Caves and Waves excursion through NCL. The excursion had a meet up time of 8:50 at the port. We were loaded onto buses at 9:00, and the drive to the caves was about 50 minutes. At the caves we were divided into groups for the tour. The tour is a walk into the caves with a history discussion. It was absolutely beautiful and amazing! 

966FA094-F6A3-4825-8E70-E6C257C10A9E.thumb.jpeg.6e6900790c79843ce2cfbf9fa62db42e.jpeg

2205CD5B-245D-40A4-BB79-585387614515.thumb.jpeg.3aeb93508cd27f886d717f1edb4aeb3f.jpeg

After the tour tour we got back on the buses for a ride to the beach. On the bus they sold a $25 bundle for 2 chairs and an umbrella. We were dropped at Clearwater Beach and had about 3 hours to spend there. It was very nice. The bar had food and drink for sale. Really relaxing. 

EB7B7221-31EA-4569-B443-4E4A59AFC24B.thumb.jpeg.242ee91cd3f563f98ca87bfe4b143b45.jpeg

However, at that point, the excursion turned very frustrating. We were picked up at 2:15 and told that we would be taking the ferry from St George’s back. They dropped us at the ferry stop and we stood in the ferry line baking in the sun until 3. The ferry got us back about 4:10. In other words, it was about 2 hours back to the ship and none of us had any clue that we would have to do that. Very frustrating. I think if I did this again, I would do the locations on my own. 

After the excursion we took a

nap and showered for dinner. We had been gifted a dinner at Moderno. We don’t eat meat other than fish, so this was really a salad bar experience for us. However, it was quite good. 

Funny thing, they are saying that all specialty dining is sold out, but every time we eat the places are half empty. I’ve met several people who haven’t been able to get dining reservations, so I know this must be frustrating. 

After dinner we did Howl at the Moon and it was so great! I love that venue. 

1 hour ago, imacruiser99 said:

I was watching PTZTV when the Escape was leaving the Dockyards and it looked like 3 pier runners were left behind.  Ship had already pushed back and they were running up.

I saw that too. Stinks to be them!

On 7/3/2019 at 7:33 AM, happyscmom said:

Report of day 2 at sea

We spent most of the day in Vibe (after morning workout, etc). I couldn’t be more thrilled to have Vibe. The pool area is a zoo. Really...this is my 3rd time on Escape, and this is the worst pool situation that I’ve ever seen. There at people every inch along the way. Nuts. Vibe was quiet and glorious. The only complaint is that the misting thing wasn’t working so it got pretty hot since we were barely moving (circling due to the medical emergency). 

For dinner we did Savor. It was much better than Le Bistro the night before, but it was slow. They seem to be struggling with the large crowd this week. I had almond encrusted trout. Really nice. 

91351035-AE25-4364-A92E-8266C76F2982.thumb.jpeg.801f7dd8e010443e6ccb3300aee752e8.jpeg

We are now in Bermuda and about to hop off to explore. We are booked with Restless Native this afternoon for snorkeling.

We sailed the Restless Native last June.  Had a great sail and snorkeling!

21 hours ago, imacruiser99 said:

I was watching PTZTV when the Escape was leaving the Dockyards and it looked like 3 pier runners were left behind.  Ship had already pushed back and they were running up.

I heard them calling names after all-aboard, so I figured we probably left a few. (Although the first call was for eight names, so presumably some of them showed up.) 

Fame - for pier runners, it is one way to be in the news or get on YouTube.  It is at the discretion of the ship captain to wait or not, we've watched & seen enough over the years ... sometimes, ship will sail on time & not wait at all, luggage & belongings come off the gangway & handed over to the custody of the port agent.  Sometimes, they get a 15 minutes courtesy wait & folks lined up along the promenande/waterfront to watch, cheer & yell.  We're on the Breakaway leaving PC, Florida and got delayed for over 1 hour - far above the usual 15 to 30 minutes, until luggage & others items were taken off the ship.  

For Dockyard/Bermuda, it's sometimes - sea conditions permitting - pay for an expensive transfer by pilot boat to catch up with the ship while it's underway, before it leave the narrow channel thru St. George - climbing up the rope ladder to board the ship ... YT video posted previously about this but we've never personally watched or seen it ourselves.  Either they got back & ship waited enough, or, they are on their own to fly back to NY or whatever.  

Come late October/early November - NCL is doing 5 days and 4 days Bermuda run out of NY, and there is simply not much time to sit & wait, without disrupting the sailing time as the ship will need to be on a speed run to make the distance.