Uniworld Shore Excursions

HappyTvlr

I asked a previous question about Masterpiece collection excursions, and I am back again trying to get clarification.  I received my documents for my 28 July trip, and I was left with lingering questions about the AM/PM options because some seem to overlap.  I called for clarification, and was told one excursion was already sold out.  I protested because it is clearly stated that these can be booked up to 48 hours prior to departure, and that the space permitting limitations only apply once onboard.  I was rudely told sorry, and to "try" once onboard.  Not acceptable to me.  I was floored when they had no information for the last and busiest day with multiple Masterpiece options are listed.  I was told that day will obviously be handled onboard.  

Now for my question.  I want to know if I can reasonably count on being able to do excursions listed as AM and PM.  The times seem to overlap in the descriptions, and I am very hesitant to book an optional Masterpiece excursion that can't be cancelled if it conflicts with another excursion.

Also, I have read here in CC that Masterpiece options don't usually sell out so I was floored by this one being sold out well in advance.  Please let me know your experiences.  This is my first European river cruise, and I am used to timetables available on ocean cruises.  I did a river cruise with Uniworld in India, but that was different because there were so few excursions.

Thanks in advance. 

HappyTvlr,

Which trip are you taking?  Maybe someone who has been on that particular trip could help you a bit better....

We've done three Uniworld cruises so far so I might be able to help you at least a little.  Generally (at least the cruises we've been on) their morning excursions run in the AM then they take you back to the ship for lunch & after lunch the PM excursions will depart.  The exceptions to that are listed as All Day Excursions-an example of this being the D Day Beaches on the Paris & Normandy trip.  

It seems odd that your Masterpiece excursion is already sold out since you usually sign up for these once onboard.  The first night they give a port talk where they go over all your options/excursions for the week & then you have the chance to sign up for them.    Word of caution about  the Masterpiece Collection though-if they don't book enough people on the excursion they may cancel it.  We had that happen to us on our last cruise.  We signed up for the Masterpiece tour of  Mont St Michel in Normandy & it was canceled due to lack of participation.

Hopefully someone else can chime in here w/ their experience/advice too...

Good afternoon,

I am traveling on the SS Beatrice at the end of August.  We are arriving a day early in Bucharest and will take a private tour.  Unfortunately,  it is on a Monday and our guide said that Pelés Castle will be closed.  There is a Masterpiece tour there on Tuesday.  Our travel agent called Uniworld and was told that we couldn’t sign up until we got to Bucharest.  I’m confused as to why the excursion was sold out when we can’t book until we arrive.

I agree with everything Need2Travel1 says. I can't recall anything being able to be booked in advance. And, more info needed, as noted above, about which itinerary you are sailing. Uniworld is very good about coordinating morning included tours with afternoon ones, or afternoon Masterpiece ones.

Robin

Thanks so much. I’m on the Ultimate European Journey from Amsterdam to Bucharest. I’m happy to hear they do well with the coordination. I’m glad I am not alone in being put off by the tour being booked. I’ve taken several land tours, and can see the similarities in having a port talk and having a discussion on upcoming tours. So much more information is provided when compared to brochures. I understand needing a minimum to carry out the tours, but nearly blind booking bothers me. I sent an email asking for clarification, and hope they shed some light on my concerns.

Also, we too are unable to book Pele’s in advance. That whole day is unclear. They have Ceauscescu’s Palace as an AM included option, and Pele’s as a Masterpiece AM option and the People’s Palace as a PM Masterpiece option. The odd thing is that based on a google search People’s and Ceauscescu’s are the same. It is large and could be different tours, but there’s no additional information.

I really appreciate the responses. I’m not stressing, but want to get it right. I did a three week self drive tour around Spain last year, and I’m just looking to make this one easier by leaving the planning to them. 

• Like 1

We did Uniworld Budapest to Bucharest in April. Our cruise ended with two days in Bucharest at the Radisson Blu Hotel. The second day (4-11-19) we had several excursion choices:

8:30 am - 6:00 pm  Sinaia Mountain Resort with Peles Castle visit, lunch and wine (79 euro per person)

or

Ceausescu's Mansion visit (9:30-11:30 am or 10:30-12:30 pm), no extra cost

3:00-5:30 pm Village Museum (39 euro per person)

Sign-up deadline for the extra cost excursions was 4-9-19 onboard the ship. There was no option to book excursions prior to boarding the ship.

On my uniworld cruises, I saw no option for signing up for Masterpiece excursions prior to the cruise. There was nothing to indicate that this was even a possibility until on board. 

I am wondering if the rep that you spoke to was confused. 

• Like 2

Last year on a Jewish Heritage itinerary, we had to let Uniworld know ahead of sailing if we wanted to take any of the Jewish-themed excursions.  That's the only time I had the opportunity to pre-reserve a tour.

Roz

djett, thanks for the information.  That is one of the days that I really want clarification on because my schedule says Pele's is in the AM and the People's Palace is in the PM.  I didn't see how that was possible based on the distance.

As for pre booking Masterpiece options, here is what is on the website in the day to day itinerary:

*Masterpiece Collection Optional Experiences can be added to a booking up to 48 hours prior to the cruise/tour start date–if the booking window is missed, guests can book onboard (space permitting) and pay in Euros. Pre-booked Masterpiece Collection Optional Experiences are refundable up to 48 hours prior to the cruise/tour start date–if inside of 48 hours they are non-refundable. Select Masterpiece Collection Optional Experiences require a minimum number of participants and are subject to cancellation (with full refund) if minimum is not met. Gratuities are included. Masterpiece Collection Optional Experiences are non-commissionable. Prices are subject to change.

Based on this, I wanted more information to book things I am certain I want to do.  There is nothing, however, that gives them the right to sell out prior to the start date.  One of the things that appealed to me about Uniworld was the general all-inclusive nature of the excursions and the belief that booking optional tours would be pretty easy based on what I have read here on CC.   This confusion is just unnecessary, and they should be able to easily clarify.  I received a standard email response that I should expect an actual response to my question in 5-10 days which is ridiculous.  I am going to call Monday to allow staff to return from the holiday.

Thanks again for all the support.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

HappyTvlr,

You are getting very close to your cruise, lucky you.  We are booked on the same cruise in September/October and I have also been confused by the lack of information from Uniworld re their Masterpiece excursions.  Did you ever receive any clarification?

Steve

Hi Steve,

I called Uniworld and was told that i could not book the Bucharest Masterpiece Collection until we arrived.  The other excursions could be booked now.  My travel agent called as well, and was told the same thing.

Happy traveling.

Sue

I did receive an email that didn’t address my questions so I called again. This agent was nearly as rude as the first, but clarified that the Weikersheim Slow Food Academy excursion out of Wurzburg is not sold out but is no longer being offered. 

He also said the same as mentioned above that with the exception of Bucharest all other MC excursions can be booked in advance. 

I’ve decided to wait to board to book and accept missing out. I’m just praying that things smooth out onboard. We enjoyed Uniworld in India, but this experience will determine our future choices. 

I think you’ll find everything cleared up once you arrive on board. One thing I noticed with River Cruises, not only Uniworld but other brands I’ve sailed on is that the Cruise Manager has a lot of discretion and books the excursions from where they are located, somewhere in Europe, meanwhile the office one calls for information is a corporate office somewhere in California or Florida. The corporate office rarely knows what is going on in Europe. 

Some lines encourage you to book in advance by online but I think it’s more to see the general interest. 

I hope you’re able to get the excursions you wish and have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HappyTvlr said:

I did receive an email that didn’t address my questions so I called again. This agent was nearly as rude as the first, but clarified that the Weikersheim Slow Food Academy excursion out of Wurzburg is not sold out but is no longer being offered. 

He also said the same as mentioned above that with the exception of Bucharest all other MC excursions can be booked in advance. 

I’ve decided to wait to board to book and accept missing out. I’m just praying that things smooth out onboard. We enjoyed Uniworld in India, but this experience will determine our future choices. 

I've never been treated rudely by any Uniworld crew member.  It's unfortunate that your encounters with the phone agents have been unpleasant.  I'm sorry this is causing you so much stress.  As Got2Cruise already pointed out, the Cruise Manager will go out of their way to accommodate guests, so more than likely you will get the excursions you want.

Please report back and let us know how things work out for you.

Roz