Chania or Valetta as cruise ports? Need to choose...

joseph123

Hello. I am considering an RCCL 9-day cruise out of Rome on the Rhapsody of the Seas next summer and need to choose between similar itineraries which include Sicily, Santorini, Mykonos, Athens, and Naples. The two cruises I am interested in are nearly identical except for one port option. My dilemma is that I cannot choose between a stop in either Chania, Crete which would give me another port in Greece, or Valetta, Malta which I am am sure would offer a very different experience, but perhaps not be focused enough. Not sure which would be the better option with only one day to spend and not looking to venture out from the immediate port areas. Would only Mykonos, Athens and Santorini give me enough of a taste for Greece? Can anyone offer any suggestions or things I should consider to make the best decision?

Edited by joseph123

Just got back from a cruise that had both Valetta and Chania.  Chania is a pretty port, but I would choose Valetta if I had to pick just one.  Malta is incredible!.  We did a tour of Mdina and Valetta - an incredible place!  Here is my photo blog of  Malta :

https://maryandnormtravel.blogspot.com/search/label/Malta

Edited by marysb

Another vote for Valetta.

The sail into the Grand Harbour is lovely, but the views of it from the Barrakka Gardens are just wonderful.

Plenty to do and see in Valetta for one day if this will be your first visit and you want to stay near the port.

Turn right exiting the port, walk past all the taxis, HOHOs and horse and carriage rides, and take the lift directly up to the gardens. E1pp to go up, free to come down.

4 hours ago, joseph123 said:

Thank you all. I am thinking Valetta will be the choice and settle for Mykonos, Santorini, and Athens for just a taste of Greece.

We just returned from a port stop in Valletta Malta...Oh My...just amazing !!!

If you happen to be a Game Of Thrones fan we did a spectacular private group tour 

with a member of the cast...Malta Film Tours.

Very easy choice to make.......Valetta. Probably the most spectacular cruise port in the Med to sail in to / out from. Valetta has some great sites to see and is very compact and easily walkable. I'd recommend a morning in Mdina followed by a few hours in Valetta.

Chania is nice but Valetta is special.

8 hours ago, JimmyTheSaint said:

Very easy choice to make.......Valetta. Probably the most spectacular cruise port in the Med to sail in to / out from. Valetta has some great sites to see and is very compact and easily walkable. I'd recommend a morning in Mdina followed by a few hours in Valetta.

Chania is nice but Valetta is special.

.....apart from Venice or Kotor :classic_wink:

However, agree with everyone else - definitely Valetta. We just had a couple of days there prior to a cruise and loved it.

Late to the party, but I'd also HIGHLY recommend Valletta over Chania. As others have said, Chania is nothing special and if you were just planning on staying in the port area, you won't get much of a sense of Crete anyway.