Skagway - what to do before or after train-bus excursion

amisup

We dock at 8 am and our White Pass Summit Rail and Bus Excursion  starts at 12:30. Its a 4 hr tour, so we should be back by 5 pm.  and our ship departs at 8 pm.  So looks like we have plenty of time to spend in Skagway before and after our excursion. Any recommendations of things to see or do or eat?

The Days of 98 Show is a very entertaining dramatized depiction of the history of Skagway and Soapy Smith. We have seen it a couple of times and really enjoy it. They have a 10:30 show you could make - it's right on the main street there in Skagway, very easy to get to and close to where you will pick up your excursion. Here is a link if you have any interest.

https://www.thedaysof98show.com/

The National Park Service has an interesting museum and the Red Dog Saloon offers a fun tour with the history of the brothel that you could also do either before or after your tour. 

Edited by karatemom2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

The Days of 98 Show is a very entertaining dramatized depiction of the history of Skagway and Soapy Smith. We have seen it a couple of times and really enjoy it. They have a 10:30 show you could make - it's right on the main street there in Skagway, very easy to get to and close to where you will pick up your excursion. Here is a link if you have any interest.

https://www.thedaysof98show.com/

Thanks but I was hoping for something more out in the open and free. :)

Just now, amisup said:

Thanks but I was hoping for something more out in the open and free. :)

If you want something out in the open and free you might want to head over to the Gold Rush Cemetery - there is a hike there to some waterfalls that are really pretty.  Another pretty hike is on the Lower Dewey Lake trail if you want something a bit more ambitious. It takes about 2 hours and is not that difficult.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

If you want something out in the open and free you might want to head over to the Gold Rush Cemetery - there is a hike there to some waterfalls that are really pretty.  Another pretty hike is on the Lower Dewey Lake trail if you want something a bit more ambitious. It takes about 2 hours and is not that difficult.

Thats a great suggestion !!  I just read up more on it. Also it seems there is public transportation SMART from the town to about 1/2 mile from the cemetary . That will come in handy with some senior citizens in our group.

https://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/shorterdayhikes.htm

https://skagwayshoretours.com/gold-rush-cemetery-and-lower-reid-falls/

http://skagway.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Skagway-Trail-Map.pdf

Edited by amisup
more info

• 5 weeks later...

NPS walking tours as mentioned above are great!  Also visiting the cemetery is a nice little excursion.

Stop by Skagway Brewery after your tour and try Spruce Tip beer.  Don't eat there--not impressed.....just regular bar food.

Then go next door for a good Thai food dinner at Starfire Restaurant.

46 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

NPS walking tours as mentioned above are great!  Also visiting the cemetery is a nice little excursion.

Stop by Skagway Brewery after your tour and try Spruce Tip beer.  Don't eat there--not impressed.....just regular bar food.

Then go next door for a good Thai food dinner at Starfire Restaurant.

I don't care for Thai food so I'll say that the food is just fine at the Skagway Brewery...if the poster feels the same way.

3 hours ago, Coral said:

The National Park Service has some walking tours. I believe you can sign up in advance. Ours was fun and informative.

I would say that you MUST book in advance.  We didn't and the tours were full when we tried to get them.

DON

32 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I would say that you MUST book in advance.  We didn't and the tours were full when we tried to get them.

DON

Last time I did it, they didn't allow people to book it in advance. I have only read recently that you could.

3 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

Good point.  We always book ahead.  If we decide not to go on the tour, it’s easy to give the tickets away!

4 hours ago, Ashland said:

I don't care for Thai food so I'll say that the food is just fine at the Skagway Brewery...if the poster feels the same way.

Different strokes..... 

I think it’s nice to find good ethnic food after eating ship food.  Have been on a number of different cruise lines—have yet to be impressed with ethnic cuisine offerings on board.  We live in a very diverse community and are used to eating ethnic food (Mexican, Indian, Thai, Chinese, Middle Eastern) on a regular basis.  So when we’re on a week or longer cruise, we crave a little spice in our foods and are thrilled when we find a good restaurant.

On 8/9/2019 at 6:52 PM, donaldsc said:

DON

I agree and always wise to book it in advance.  That way you're guaranteed a spot and at the time that works best for you (given you'll want to schedule it around your excursion).  We did the Gold Rush 101 Historical Walking tour and found it informative and enjoyable.  You can the tickets for free online but there is a nominal processing / admin fee.